The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 2gNT ATX Issue not shifting to 4th gear.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double-X

Probationary Member
Mar 24, 2009
WhiteSettlement, Texas
Hi!,

i don't post often due to figuring out my issues through other peoples, but this one particular is mind boggling me and it seems like i cannot find anyone else who has experienced this. so my profile shows a 1998 gst but i have another eclipse that is a 1999 GS ATX.

So the story from the start, i bought the car and it had a small oil leak that ended up causing the motor to go bad, so after a while i bought a used motor from a junkyard and swapped that in (PITA), after time i got the car to start up and run somewhat smooth, it idles a bit high 1400 rpmish which i think is due to a small vacuum leak that i have yet to trace..(i think it has to do with a evap vacuum line) but that's not the main issue.

The tags are expired and instead of driving it around to go through all the gears i decided to leave on jacks and have it speed through the gears slowly (easy on the gas) yes i know it's a bad idea but i have it secured enough to not pop off the jacks and go through a fence.

For some reason the car doesn't go past 3rd gear, doesn't make any noises or anything, at first there was no fluid in the transmission so i filled that up with atf4. so i let the car warm up to temp, and then just tried again and same thing it won't go past 3rd gear no matter how high rpm or how long i hold it.

(Side note, i have never had any issues with the OD but the person who had this car did a shifter change mod and relocated the button, i tried pushing it in and out and the light does not come on / show on the dash, not sure if that is the criminal to this mystery)

i heard it might be a input / output sensor, i also had a atx code p0731 ( don't quote me right now) for a incorrect 3rd gear ratio.

but after replugging in sensors to make sure they're secure i tried again and now it shows a code for incorrect gearing for reverse.

if someone could shed some light on the subject i would be grateful.

-DSMFallout :rocks:

also if i did something incorrect on this post let me know.
MODS
CAI
Catback
4-1 headers

Last edited:
First off code P0731 is for an incorrect 1st gear ratio. That code was probably caused by the lack of fluid in the transmission. It should clear after about 200 miles of driving with the correct fluid amount. If it hasn't, then that's another issue entirely.

Anyway, my money is on the O/D switch and wires that the previous owner hacked up.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/452348-missing-overdrive-wire-connector.html

Without those connectors plugged in you will not have 4th gear.

The other possibility AFTER you sort out the above is that the end clutch needs to be replaced due to the low fluid. Luckily, it can be done in the car for relatively cheap.

IPT End Clutch Kit | Mitsubishi DSM | W4A33

Thank you Soccerguy136,

I will take a look at that post one more time, the only reason why i ruled out the O/D switch is because i haven't really ever had any issues with it, but from what i am understanding from what you said is that i will not have a 4th gear at all because of it or due to a clutch pack up and just going out.

if it ends up being due to a clutch pack i will search around to see the technically difficulty of replacing that.

Seeing that this day is over i will take a look at the post tonight and investigate tomorrow. i do appreciate you taking your time to assist me.

Hmmmm... double checked the wiring, checked the contacts plates on the switch itself which both are fine. i guess it'll be a bit more troubleshooting to where the exact location of the issue lies.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back