The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Heavy tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I just broke my larger bearing separator. What brand do you guys prefer for high stress tools? I don't do it enough to justify OTC but I also don't want harbor freight crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the preferred brand for me is OTC, which you already poo poo'd, other than that its the Freight of the Harbor, or even parts store brands.

So how big do you want?? I made my own press stands and have some fairly healthy sized splitters and can give recommendations.

How heavy duty of a press are you using and what are you disassembling?

In the photo, smallest is an OTC 1122 splitter with OTC 7393 push puller, medium is an OTC 1123 splitter, and the big boy is an OTC 1126 (threaded rod is 14" long, tool has a 7-1/8" spacing between rods, 5/8"-8" spread) -- it is huge. Otherwise the OTC1130 has a 9" spread with 5/8"-18 threaded rods, I used this one and it is less bulky than the 1126 model. The 1130 also works with the 927 puller bridge components.

My press stands are 1/2" thick plate with 5"x5" upper and 5"x8" lower plates with 4"x4" square stock, 6", 9" and 14" lengths, and are plenty durable.

I just looked back at my purchase history, man were things cheap back when I bought them! Prices have nearly tripled.... that is also a reminder to people that have property insurance or business insurance.... reflect your coverage to replace your parts for current inflation. I should have had much higher coverage numbers for my losses. :(

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In the photo, smallest is an OTC 1122 splitter with OTC 7393 push puller, medium is an OTC 1123 splitter, and the big boy is an OTC 1126 (threaded rod is 14" long, tool has a 7-1/8" spacing between rods, 5/8"-8" spread) -- it is huge. Otherwise the OTC1130 has a 9" spread with 5/8"-18 threaded rods, I used this one and it is less bulky than the 1126 model. The 1130 also works with the 927 puller bridge components.

My press stands are 1/2" thick plate with 5"x5" upper and 5"x8" lower plates with 4"x4" square stock, 6", 9" and 14" lengths, and are plenty durable.

I just looked back at my purchase history, man were things cheap back when I bought them! Prices have nearly tripled.... that is also a reminder to people that have property insurance or business insurance.... reflect your coverage to replace your parts for current inflation. I should have had much higher coverage numbers for my losses. :(

I've got a 20 ton press (not Harbor freight). I've gotten by with just one bearing splitter for years. I do have a smaller cheap ass one but the only thing I do with it is remove stuck on 5th gears on the intermediate shaft. I'll have to take some measurements of what I have. I can probably salvage the one I have. The bolts are trash but the plates are ok I think. ON a whim I just picked up another splitter because I happened to see it piled in with some other stuff on facebook marketplace. Ever heard of RIMAC? It's stamped part num 1899 USA. It was owned by an old mechanic so who knows where it came from. Guy my age is liquidating his fathers tools. I think alot of it was already gone except stuff most people don't want....like who really owns a bearing splitter besides crazy dsmers?

Last edited:
Press tools are the ones I snatch up along with old dealer tools!

Internet has failed me. RIMAC is apparently well known for certain thing but I can't find squat about their hand tools. Apparently they are THE company for valve spring testers. Like HUGE and they recently started making some manual valve spring tester they used to make back in the 50s and 60s.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back