The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Headers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clapbak

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 1, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
Heys guys, im juss wondering What some "desent" headers are.. Im not really lookin to spend a pretty penny either.. I dun want greddy (cuz i cant afford em) is there something mid range that you guys would suggest?

thanks!

-trev

If you dont want greddy, and cant afford them I have heard decent things from OBX's headers. Should be able to pick one up for around 200 dollars. While your at it, take a look at the OBX intake manifold for your car. 200 bucks off of ebay. Do them at the same time, get some decent gains and make your engine look blingin' :thumb:

I would however, allways recommend a company like Greddy over OBX, but you said you could'nt afford them, so this is what I would recommend as an alternative.

OBX Header P/N: H9599 (http://www.obxracingsports.com/performance.cfm?catID=3&subcatID=22)
OBX Intake Manifold P/N: 10096 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2479359956&category=36474)

hey, thanks for your input, i think im going to order thoes.. wow uber cheap.. its like 200 canadian .. cant go wrong hey.. U think i will get a bit of gain with just the header for now? I got AEM cold air intake on order (will be here prolly the same time as the header) Proformace exhuast muffiler.. (n1 replica) .. With thoes, you think its gonna make a bit more power?

h0lla bak!

-trev

You should see some decent gains (3-8) hp. Get a high flow cat, or a delete pipe if you really want to optimize your exhaust system. The intake pair with the intake manifold would yeild some nice gains (together, between 10-20 hp)... A very noticlbe difference. Glad I could help... Good luck modding!

iv done a bit of reading, and iv seen a few people flame thoes obx headers.. Whats your opinion.?

Iv also heard getting rid of the cat.. it will make your car stink like ass.. :p this true?

oh my LOL....First of all i have the ssautochrome header (cheap and gets the job done, i kno alot of others on this board have the same one) i assume the header is 4-1 as i have never seen a obx header 4-2-1 for our cars.

Second, If you r getting a header, and a cai..why dont u finish off ure exahsut by going to a muffler shop n telling them u want 2.5" or 2.25" Pipping from the header back (now if u live in a state/country with emissions go on ebay n pick up a hi-flow cat, then go to the muffler shop and tell them u want 2.5" pipping from the cat back to ure existing muffler)

Third of all, please do not post on the obx manifold if u have no idea what ure saying, this thread has been going on 2gnt n u should take a look at it:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=74439&mode=full
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING, ESPECIALLY TOWARDS THE END!!!!

Hope this helps

im still confused on what all the fuss is about headers when they supposedly give you little if any gains?

miamieclipse said:
Third of all, please do not post on the obx manifold if u have no idea what ure saying, this thread has been going on 2gnt n u should take a look at it:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=74439&mode=full
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING, ESPECIALLY TOWARDS THE END!!!!

Hope this helps

I dont mean or porpously try to spread bad advice. I thought I was doing the opposite. I was telling him alternatives for a cheaper price. I know OBX doesnt make the greatest stuff, but he didnt want to spend 400 beans. I dont know too much about 2gs (I dont own one). Sorry for the misadvice.

And after reading the article, I didnt see anyone specifically say that the stuff was prone to cracking etc, but that its flow characteristics were not for turbo characteristics... Maybe i'm missing something?

better air flow = more horsies... Opening the air way.. :p

clapbak said:
better air flow = more horsies... Opening the air way.. :p

ya but they say only 1-2 horsies. now i know at a stable thats alot, but with our cars it just aint nothing, so whats the point in spending the money? unless the difference can be felt?

tru that.. whats a good upgrade for my car then.. i got exhuast (muffiler only) and i got a aem cold air on the way..

Pullies?
New Piping For my Exhuast? 2.25 Inch? Get Rid Of The Catty?

Nothing too expensive.. what do u think?

A full set of pullies will give you a noticable increase in power and acceleration...

However, Just take into account the installation costs that come along with this modification. The timing belt must be removed. Make sure you understand this.

oh yea.. sh!t.. i just did the timing belt.. so thats out the d00r :p .. well.. power steering you dont.. What else would u suggest.. I wanna get 200 HP out of my car..
Or should i just h0ld off on everything and save for a turbo kit?? Or will i have to do a whole shit load of work to put that in???
btw my dads a machanic so theres alot of shit he can do (sept the timing cuz its ####en hard from what i gather)

If your going turbo, save for the turbo... Everything else is not going to be much help right now. Plus when you get the turbo you will have to upgrade a lot of crap too, so it would be more economical from a labor/hr standpoint to wait and do it all at once...

if i wanted to slap a turbo kit in it.. what would i need to "upgrade"?

Well, technically the only thing really "needed" is an aftermarket exaust according to HRC. i would go at least 2.5, thats what i did. but you will want to get a S-AFC to give more fuel to this extra air, eventually new fuel pump and injectors, and new bottom end if you want to push some serious boost. look around ive been searching the same thing

i dont get why non turbo cars dont remain non turbo and just supe the engine itself. turbo is not the only alternative. i know of a few non turbo eclipses with 300 hp. but then again... not many people know exactly how to supe up their cars without going turbo...

:dsm: :dsm: :dsm:

well if u r looking to get 200hp out of ure car.......

CAI, Cat-Back, Hi-FLow Cat, Header, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, Cams, Cam Gears, Race Head (5 Angle Valve job, oversized valves etc etc) a 2.2l Stroker w/ High Compression Rebuild.

That would get u 200 ponies easy IMO, or u can go CAI, Cat-Back, Hi-Flow Cat, Header, Nice set of Cams w/ Cam Gears 50 wet shot, intake maniold & tb

NyteDSM96 said:
i dont get why non turbo cars dont remain non turbo and just supe the engine itself. turbo is not the only alternative. i know of a few non turbo eclipses with 300 hp. but then again... not many people know exactly how to supe up their cars without going turbo...

the reason why people go turbo instead of staying NT is because you could do

CAI, Cat-Back, Hi-FLow Cat, Header, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body, Cams, Cam Gears, Race Head (5 Angle Valve job, oversized valves etc etc) a 2.2l Stroker w/ High Compression Rebuild.

and get the same amount of horsepower that you would with a turbo and the turbo is about half the price of all that work. and by doing all that, you expend all of your engine modding for power, while if you turbo, you can still do all of the above things for more power. makes sense to go turbo to me

NyteDSM96 said:

that post really interested me in more ways then one, how is that possible? I heard it was hard enough getting 200 hp out of a n/t. Any articles I could read up on?

how can you say that going turbo is half the price??? when to get the real power out of the turbo you have to change the pistons, the crankshafts, the camshafts, perhaps the valves, the headers, you have to find a God damn down pipe, wait im outta breathe.................................. ok, then you move on to the block, and what if the kit doenst come with a fuel pump??? gotta find one of those, and then you need some high performance injectors... AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF... you have to find someone to install all that bs for you if your like me and dont have the tools to do all that shit yourself. oh wait, the turbo itself is worth a shitload of cash.

now, stayin non turbo... you might have to change a few parts, like... the shafts and pistons, but hey, you dont have turbo lag! ;) now as for going at least 200 hp w/o turbo, port your exhaust manifold, get a bigger throttle body, get sum performance pulleys and you'll gain easily 55 hp. did i mention shaving your heads? you'd be surprised how much of a difference porting and shaving would do to a car... but noOOOoooOooOOOooOO, no one listens because they want the lil PSSTT sound that a turbo makes...

sorry, not really familiar with articles on naturally aspirating 420a's to 200 hp, but i know its possible, and if you have a friend who's a mechanic... he could do 90% of the work for you. then again, i guess not many people have hook ups.

whooopsss, i forgot perhaps the biggest element of all...

INTAKE PORTING 20-50 hp IN THAT ITSELF!!!!

I dont mean to flame, but ive seen some of your posts Nyte on the NA forums and you dont seem to know much about NA cars(dont want people misinformed). 1.(Another post in NA forum) Automatics are slower than manual not because of shifting, its because of the gear ratios. Maybe if we had a 5-speed or 6-speed or 7-speed(mercedes) automatics then it would have the same ratios. A common mod for automatics is the final drive mod and torque converter. 2. "Shaving" your manifold will not get you 20-50 horsepower...why do you think it is so hard for people to get 200whp out of their 2gnts??? 3. The original post was on headers and as some people said, they can range from giving you 1-2 horsepower to 8-10 depending on the mods you currently have on your car....just like an exhaust...if you have other mods, the whole exhaust setup will be more beneficial. 4. I would not suggest getting headers. If you plan on only ever having up to 200hp then they would be after test pipe/cat-back exhaust and they would suit your needs. However if you want to hit the 240-300 hp to the crank youll be better off using a turbo in which case you will need an exhaust manifold not headers per se. IF!!!! IF, you want over 300 then a minor(LOL) rebuild would be in order (Howell Automotive Bottom End Kit). Of course you need minor supporting mods such as gauges, injectors, etc. I am not sure on this, but ive heard that our engines can handle 500 horsepower with supporting mods and a bottom end kit. Correct me if I am wrong and I only posted to clear up some things. PLZ no flame wars and anybody that has anything to add please to so.

GSGoinFast said:
ya but they say only 1-2 horsies. now i know at a stable thats alot, but with our cars it just aint nothing, so whats the point in spending the money? unless the difference can be felt?

That 1-4HP is through out the whole RPM Range not just total. And another thing, You want a Mandrel bent exhaust. A exhaust with wrinkle bends is seen a lot on OEM applications the wrinkles can hinder exhaust flow, a crush bend is better but at the bends the exhaust diameter is smaller then the rest. A crush bend use's a hydraulic machine to bend the pipe. Another thing is. I know people hate the way it looks but man use header wrap to help keep the bay temps down. People still say (I have a CAI) :rolleyes: for every 10-degrees F that you lower your intake temp your hp goes up about 1% I know that don't sound like much. But say you have 145-150hp engine now and you lower your intake temp by 100-degrees you can gain 15hp. we all know a CAI can give between 8-20Hp even if you get a ceramic coated header use some wrap, aftermarket headers can get damn hot. I used the OBX header for a lil bit before my rebuild and it worked just as good as my Greddy did. Any car runs beter when it can breaths better you want to get the exhaust gases out of your car as quick as you can. :thumb:

After I had my Greddy header on my dad and I took it to the Dyno this is what I got
there was a definite shift in the powerband at exactly the midrange--from 3500rpm to 4500rpm. At the time my dad told me not to expect a lot of HP gains. And that the rest of the powerband would only shift up slightly. And at the 3500-4500rpm range there should also be a nice increase in usable torque we came up with. Hp +.4 TQ + 2.7 But just because there are minimal Power gains from a header does not mean they are a bad mod. The faster you get the nasty exhaust out the better

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back