The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Header Wrap [Merged 3-8] thermal DEI headers exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My exhaust manifold is still installed and I'm not really trying to take it off how hard are we talking to wrap it? I know it will be a pain in the ass but it will also be a pain in the ass to take it off the bolts were a bi*** to get fitted up right the first time. My engine bay gets so hot even with fan pushing right toward the manifold and engine that the rod that holds the hood up gets almost to hot to touch. I was thinking about just spraying it down getting it wet wrapping it letting it dry and then spraying the sealer. Would this be worth the effort in everyone's opinion?

Hm I don't know what some of you are talking about. IMO wrapping was one of the most effective mods I've done to reduce engine temps. It was not difficult, I even wrapped my 2G manifold which some people think you can't do for some reason -- much easier ON the car so you can really pull on it and make it tight. I wrapped the manifold, O2 housing, and dp. I also used the steel ties which worked excellent for me; use needle nose pliers to really cinch them down...but watch the ends you cut because they are like razor blades. All in all, I saw about a 15F drop in engine bay temps and a lot less radiator heat soak.

Next stop for me is a turbine cover, manifold blanket, and heat shield for the intake pipe / ic piping. Even as things stand now, the other day it was 95F outside and I could still run low 170F engine temp and 8F over ambient for intake temps, with my cooling system.

Hm I don't know what some of you are talking about. IMO wrapping was one of the most effective mods I've done to reduce engine temps. It was not difficult, I even wrapped my 2G manifold which some people think you can't do for some reason -- much easier ON the car so you can really pull on it and make it tight. I wrapped the manifold, O2 housing, and dp. I also used the steel ties which worked excellent for me; use needle nose pliers to really cinch them down...but watch the ends you cut because they are like razor blades. All in all, I saw about a 15F drop in engine bay temps and a lot less radiator heat soak.

Next stop for me is a turbine cover, manifold blanket, and heat shield for the intake pipe / ic piping. Even as things stand now, the other day it was 95F outside and I could still run low 170F engine temp and 8F over ambient for intake temps, with my cooling system.

Good point with the leverage for pulling. I think I"m gonna go ahead and order some wrap is there any brand better then the rest and how does coating it before you soak it work? Should I coat it let it dry soak it then spray it then wrap it then spray it?? My tubrular is SS how does that affect coating it?

the directions say to soak it weather you spray it with a water hose or fill a small bucket with water and let it sit in the water for a min. ...then wrap it .....let it dry ......then spray the sealer over it ....

have fun

As I said I used DEI products and have had awsome results

has anyone used exhaust wrap to insulate their intercooler piping and if so where the results worth it? any info would help

I could see how it would work but at the same time I could see how it would bite you in the ass. Any heat that is already in your piping would be held in and build up, so if you try it, I would only go for the piping from the intercooler to the intake.

Yeah i agree the air is moving so fast throuh the pipe that its going to be hot in there anyway but not a bad idea though.. Something else you could do to keep the engine bay cooler is to buy a hood vent from rre and that would drop the temp a good amount.

And if you are going to wrap the ic piping, you really only need to wrap the pipe that goes from the turbo and in front of the turbo to the intercooler.

Was just discussing this in another thread, but got no response:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256317 Post #23 and #24

Since then, I wrapped and sealed the IC output pipes going to the TB. It seemed to help some, but I've been battling 100+ ambient temps, so it was hard to tell. Today it's cooler though, and the car is running great at the moment.

Check out the posts mentioned above...I'm curious to hear any thoughts on my theory :)

IMO, Wrap looks like shit, get your exhaust components ceramic coated. and try to seal off the heat in the engine bay away from the intake and where ever else it should be cool

It LIVES!!!

Ok, I brought this thread back to life. I was trying to decide if it would be to my turbos' advantage to get a heat wrap or should I remove it send it off to have it dipped along with my exhaust manifold.

I just bought a new CF hood and I really want to prevent any heat wear.

So feel free to voice your opinions

I would go with a coating any day of the week, or nothing. Wraps do work as advertised, but they also trap moisture and condensation in.

Hey I've read through a few topics on here about heat wrapping and 2 write-ups but I am just wondering what the big disadvantages and advantages of heat wrapping + heat spraying a tubular header would be? My car is pretty much a summer car only, and even in summer it is not my daily driver, its more of a weekend car for when I am bored (cruising, only on sunny nice days tho ;)) or go out of town (maximum of around 40 mile distance). Is it true that heat wrapping can lead to premature cracking? And I am guessing heat wrapping could help spool-up by keeping the turbo a little cooler? Also, I am getting a barely used tubular header (ebay shop one i think) for cheap from a friend who near totaled his car and is parting it out. Its had around 200 miles on it, would it be worth replacing the gaskets even if they look good? Or will they most likely be fine? Thanks

The turbo should spool slightly quicker because you are keeping heat in the turbine housing instead of it losing(being cooler) heat. It will also make the manifold have a possability of getting rusted since it will trap moisture.

Okay Ebay ones will most likely crack. Mine did and when it did the wastegate came off and went through the radiator which sucks. If you dont wrap it then you need a heat shield otherwise the under hood temps will sky rocket and anything close to the header will start to melt. Get new gaskets dont trust used ones because it is a pain to pull the turbo to replace one after a few hundred miles because you cheaped out and reused old ones.

The Ebay headers look great but keep in mind that when one cost you $90.00 new and other reputable companies get $700.00 for one there is a reason. Good luck with whatever you do. Travis

Hey I've read through a few topics on here about heat wrapping and 2 write-ups but I am just wondering what the big disadvantages and advantages of heat wrapping + heat spraying a tubular header would be? My car is pretty much a summer car only, and even in summer it is not my daily driver, its more of a weekend car for when I am bored (cruising, only on sunny nice days tho ;)) or go out of town (maximum of around 40 mile distance). Is it true that heat wrapping can lead to premature cracking? And I am guessing heat wrapping could help spool-up by keeping the turbo a little cooler? Also, I am getting a barely used tubular header (ebay shop one i think) for cheap from a friend who near totaled his car and is parting it out. Its had around 200 miles on it, would it be worth replacing the gaskets even if they look good? Or will they most likely be fine? Thanks

Why don't you consider coatings from a company like ceramic coatings, teflon coatings, thermal coatings solutions with Calico Coatings

We have used then in the past and their product and service is outstanding.
All the benifits off wrapping without the problems associated with wrapping ie moisture

DJ

It makes a huge difference in underhood temps, which is the main benefit. Theoretically, it should help spool by keeping the heat in, but in reality you won't notice a difference.

The downside is that the manifold will be significantly hotter which can (and probably will) lead to premature cracking. That doesn't mean it's going to crack in a month, it just means the life of the manifold will probably be shortened. Given that you're running a Fleabay manifold, I'd leave the wrap off. It will be crack prone enough as it is.

If you have your heart set on a tubular manifold I guess that's ok, but looking at your profile I would have to say you don't need it. An ebay one might just cause you more headaches in the long run. A ported 2g manifold is usually works just fine and you can retain the factory heat shield to keep underhood temperatures at a minimum. I run one on my car with a 20g turbo and it works great for the money and fitment. Just my $.02:)

If you have your heart set on a tubular manifold I guess that's ok, but looking at your profile I would have to say you don't need it. An ebay one might just cause you more headaches in the long run. A ported 2g manifold is usually works just fine and you can retain the factory heat shield to keep underhood temperatures at a minimum. I run one on my car with a 20g turbo and it works great for the money and fitment. Just my $.02:)

Get the stock manifold coated and see what a difference it makes. at 32psi I can literally touch the exhaust manifold after a pull. Not lay you hand on it touch but def. make contact even if it is just a quick tap. My manifold is coated only on the inside nowadays we do both inside and out.

I've noticed that some actualy have nothing arround the turbo compresser.. I wonder if like a small fan would work, Maybe thats a bad idea.. Hotter temps with higher psi right? Maybe upgrading the radiator and fans might work, I read on jc whitney that the fans speed of the aftermarket fan is a higher rpm for more air flow any one use a better performance fan?

FLEX-A-LITE® HIGH-PERFORMANCE ENGINE-COOLING FAN - JCWhitney Car Parts

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back