The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Header Wrap [Merged 3-8] thermal DEI headers exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It seems like a good idea, and it may keep the underhood temps down, but where does all that heat go? It stays in your manifold. It's like putting a blanket on your exhaust manifold to keep it warmer, longer. The consequesces? Cracked and warped manifolds. So if you're considering putting a blanket on your turbo manifold, do it a favor and just leave it alone. Unless you like replacing/fixing cracked manifolds often.
Also, if you do have a crack in your mani, and you have it fixed, make sure to have it machined because they often warp, which is what causes the crack in the first place, and if it's not perfectly straight when you bolt it up to the head it will cause stress resulting in more cracks.
:dsm:

Thats not a problem when your manifold has a lifetime warranty against cracking. Also the extra heat should help spool the turbo faster.

Hm, ive wrapped every tube style manifold I have ever ran. No problems when you do it right. Wrapping wont cause cracking, moisture inside it will. Do it right the first time and its not going to be an issue. There are plenty of good reasons to do it. Just do it right. Der.

Thats not a problem when your manifold has a lifetime warranty against cracking. Also the extra heat should help spool the turbo faster.

Lifetime warranties are all well and good, but do you really want to deal with having to have it fixed?

I guess you've never wrapped a header / manifold AFTER having it ceramic coated.....

I'm sure ceramic coating is a great option, but I don't think that's an option for everyone.

Hm, ive wrapped every tube style manifold I have ever ran. No problems when you do it right. Wrapping wont cause cracking, moisture inside it will. Do it right the first time and its not going to be an issue. There are plenty of good reasons to do it. Just do it right. Der.

The wrap still retains heat even without moisture, however I think most of the nicer manifolds will still resist to cracking and warping just because of the better build quality, but that doesn't mean they all will. I personally would rather not worry about damaging my high dollar manifold, but to each their own.

I wrapped my headers yesterday with DEI exhaust wrap and got concerned over watching how once i started the car they started to smoke up and turn dark. Here are the pics.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Anybody know if this is normal. They smell kind of funky while driving too. My headers are ceramic coated maybe that has something to do with it?

yup theyll smoke for a few days. Its normal.:thumb:

Any cooler when you lift the hood after a drive?

Did you spray it with hi-temp silicone spray?

I'd look into it, I've sprayed mine with it, it is supposed to kind of seal the wrap so water won't get in there and rest against the manifold. Maybe it's not necessary, but I thought it was cheap insurance, if nothing else.

No i actually didn't, I didn't see it where i bought the wrap. But i think i would like to buy it. I'll shop around, see if i can find it.

Yeah I'm never really big on wrap because it doesn't do that much and has the chance of trapping water and promotoe cracking. I have always been a believer in several coats of silicone then several coats of high temp and then several coats of clear coat engine enamel:thumb:

Before

after

Yeah I'm never really big on wrap because it doesn't do that much and has the chance of trapping water and promotoe cracking. I have always been a believer in several coats of silicone then several coats of high temp and then several coats of clear coat engine enamel:thumb:

Even if the DEI wrapped is prone to promote cracking but as far can ceramic coating or cryo gen treatment retaint heat? Is it worth it?

I had a FP race manifold with cermic coating but it didn't retain much heat from my prespectative but can't comparing it to one without ceramic because I don't have one without ceramic coated.

Even the DEI wrapped is prone to promote cracking but has far can ceramic coating or cryo gen treatment retaint heat? Is it worth it?

I had a FP race manifold with cermic coat but it didn't retain much heat from my prespectative but can't comparing it to one without ceramic because I don't have one without ceramic coated.

No not cermaic that's cheap shit the companys like pacessetter This stuff is 1500* resistant resin andf the clear coat is 500* high temp engine enamel. Both dry fast and are resistant to water so cracking from that is out teh window and it holds heat in better than the wrap from my experience.

I will be doing it on the car. Things are just getting too hot under the hood. I am also getting a carbon trix hood vent.
My questions are;
1. Should I get the 1 inch wide or the two inch wide wrap (any suggestions as to the best manufacturer etc would be appreciate.)
2. How long of a roll of heat wrap should I get? 25ft, 50ft or 10 ft?
3. Three what hi temp silicon paint are you guys using? Where did you get it?
:talon:

I will be doing it on the car. Things are just getting too hot under the hood. I am also getting a carbon trix hood vent.
My questions are;
1. Should I get the 1 inch wide or the two inch wide wrap (any suggestions as to the best manufacturer etc would be appreciate.)
2. How long of a roll of heat wrap should I get? 25ft, 50ft or 10 ft?
3. Three what hi temp silicon paint are you guys using? Where did you get it?
:talon:

1) The 1" wrap is easier to work through tight spaces/small openings. Also if the manifold has tight radius bends then the 1" may allow you to get a little bit better tension on the wrap without "folding" the edges. But the 2" is nice for longer or larger diameter areas (DP, etc).

2) Personally, I would recommend a 50' roll. 10' is definitely not enough. From what I have seen, the 50' roll is a better value ("cost-per-foot"), and it's nice to have some extra around. Not only may you need to redo the wrap for various reasons but it can also be used for a few other things.

3) In my experience the Thermo-Tec high heat coating does not work well. Consider the DEI HT coating.

One other note. Just last week I emailed DEI about the wrap on my manifold drying out and falling apart. They emailed me back with some suggestions to extend the life of the wrap (reapply the HT coating 2-3 times per year) and offered to send me a replacement roll of wrap with no questions or hassles. I am in no way associated with DEI but that was great customer service.

I have used the Thermo Tec Generation II Copper Header Wrap and Thermo-Tec Aluminum Hi-Heat Coating with good results. Although, they were only used on a j-pipe and downpipe so they don't see the high temperatures an exhaust manifold will. The only trouble spot we had is on the j-pipe. We couldn't wrap part of it because of the tight bend (we were using 2" wrap), but still sprayed the spot with the Coating. I forgot to scuff the polished surface before spraying on the coating so it's peeling in that spot.

The coating is meant to applied AFTER wrapping the part.

The coating will protect the wrap from abrasion and harmful liquid spills. Extra resins and binders toughen the surface, extend the life of wrap by protecting it from friction, and seal the pores to minimize the penetration of harmful liquids.

I had never heard of the Gen 2 Copper wrap. But it sounds like a good idea. I will have to keep that in mind if I need to replace my wrap.

bmoha2, consider wearing longs sleeves and maybe eye protection when working with this stuff. Those damn little fibers that come off the wrap tend to get in your skin, etc. Also, remember to allow for room to get bolts/studs through the holes in the flange as well as space to work a wrench/socket into those areas especially if wrapping it with the part not yet installed on the car.

Wetting if first will not only make it easier to work with but it will also cause it to contract a bit after the first heat cycle getting it nice and tight (just like your clothes shrinking when washed).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back