The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Head Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys, so im not a total newbie, but its my first time pulling my head. The hg was pretty bad, but ive checked with a straight edge and the head is pretty flat.

Well anyways, what all should i have a machine shop do? Hot tank, clean the head? Resurface if its bad and what else?

Just take it to a machine shop and have him clean it up and check to see if it needs to be resurfaced. It shouldn't cost you more than 80 bucks. I would never put a head back on my own car without having it resurfaced or at least checked, that's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Though many people have done it and not had a problem, I personally wouldn't do it.

ok to be honest... your gonna have the head off soooo, why not do a bit more to it...... id install fresh new valve stem seals.... followed by the oil port mod.... plus everything you said.... resurface. etc. etc.

Replacing it with a new MLS gasket? What caused it to go? Did you get that issue resolved too? Would suck to get it all back together and have it blow again.

Change tiiming components if they havent and do the valve seals other wise you could have leaky seals, Dont do all that work for it to fail 10 miles after its on the road, do it now and forget about it, especially for a dd. Other wise it wont be a dd it will be a down dsm. Do all of it now just advice fr om someone who learned the hard way.

Definitely have it checked for flatness. A straight edge just won't do. But if you can get it on a granite machinist block, you can check it with a feeler gauge. Or just just have your machine shop check it for flatness.

If you're in a hurry and on a budget, it might be beneficial to just buy a replacement head.

ok to be honest... your gonna have the head off soooo, why not do a bit more to it...... id install fresh new valve stem seals.... followed by the oil port mod.... plus everything you said.... resurface. etc. etc.

I would do this. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It could prevent you having to take the head off again in the near future for shit that you could have done in the first place. I go into every project with my Talon with this in mind. Go big or go home. :thumb:

Get those valve stems replaced since its apart i had several engines apart, i wish i would have and didnt i had lifter tick i threw some new lifters there as well. Next go round everything for hp, cams, port, and everything esle.

If it was mine....

I would have the head milled and have them do the vacuum test or whatever they call it to make sure the valves are seating up completely. And replace the valve stem seals.

And that's about it. Shouldn't be to much money to have done.

Guys, i sent it to the shop. They are checking it all, and resurfacing the head. Its getting hot tanked and all.

They are going to let me know how everything looks, and i will go from there. I still have like 5 days before i NEED it on the road, so we will see how it comes out.

I am not going with a metal hg, why, because im not going for a crazy build, and not crazy boost levels. Also funds dont allow it.

Last, some of you are saying "if it was my car, i would do this and i would do that" ....its not. I run a cafe that is failing and the budget is tight, so im keeping it simple.

I will replace what is necessary for maintenance, but i will not be buying extra things that are not.

t sounds like you're on the right track, the machine shop will let you know if your stem seals need replaced. If they don't replace the seals and they leak later down the road, they're very easy to change on the car if you have the correct tools. Hope everything goes good and you get your car back on the road!

Last, some of you are saying "if it was my car, i would do this and i would do that" ....its not. I run a cafe that is failing and the budget is tight, so im keeping it simple.

I will replace what is necessary for maintenance, but i will not be buying extra things that are not.

You asked for our opinion on what to do and our opinion is based off of: If we owned the car. No one's trying to tell you what to do or say you need to do some kind of upgrade. No one here knows what your goals are or what you do with your car, they're just trying to help you out y pointing out some options you can do while the head if off the car. This is a performance oriented website so of course, that's the kind of advice you'll most likely get and you should keep that in mind when you ask for help here.

t sounds like you're on the right track, the machine shop will let you know if your stem seals need replaced. If they don't replace the seals and they leak later down the road, they're very easy to change on the car if you have the correct tools. Hope everything goes good and you get your car back on the road!

You asked for our opinion on what to do and our opinion is based off of: If we owned the car. No one's trying to tell you what to do or say you need to do some kind of upgrade. No one here knows what your goals are or what you do with your car, they're just trying to help you out y pointing out some options you can do while the head if off the car. This is a performance oriented website so of course, that's the kind of advice you'll most likely get and you should keep that in mind when you ask for help here.

Really? You dont say? LOL... i have almost 1000 posts here, i no its a performance website. I simply asked what i should have the SHOP do however.

I put that in my post because you made it sound like you were on a budget and I always am as well.

The hot tanking was completely unnecessary. You should skip that if you are on a budget.

If you are really on a budget, just getting the valves lapped in (if they need it), milling, and replacing valve stem seals would be all you need.

It was only $65 for the hot tanking and cleaning and resurfacing. They do it as a "package deal". I am on a budget but i want to do it right.

If i do the valve stem seals dont i need to replace the springs? ### i "break" that lock on the spring right?

Remember this is my first head, so i dont no much about it.

No, they will use a tool to compress the springs so they can remove those little seme-circle retainers. Nothing will get damaged unless they are stupid and mess something up on their own.

Man you should have just brought it to my shop. I would have hooked you up and it would already be done. If my hot tank would have been hot we could have tanked it and rebuilt the whole thing when you were here.

Well, apparently after they had a closer look, the head is toast. Now i need to source a new one....

Jon i didnt go down to your shop ### its 1 hour drive for me, and this guy was recommended to me. I also didnt even have the head apart in time to bring it to you. I dropped it off yesterday at 430pm.

So whoever has a head let me no.... ugh this damn car sucks right now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back