The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Hate it when this happens!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWHTanK

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2011
Odessa, Missouri
So Im taking out the axels right side no prboblem. Left side problem using my impact gun nothing. So the next day i goto work and bring back my half inch breaker bar. Put it on and snap breaks the anvil off the bar,and yes i took the cotter pin out. So before i go and bring the torces home. Is buy chance reverse thread?

Attachments

• 2011-08-31 16.35.45.jpg
    2011-08-31 16.35.45.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 55
That sucks dude.. But to answer your question, no. both spindle nuts are normal right hand thread. Just be careful with the torch that you dont cook your bearing too.

Nope, it's not left hand threaded or anything. Penetrating oil and your impact would be your best bet. Let it soak for a while and keep hammering away.

I heard that they were made in the fires of mordor. Yea they suck to get off. I had to buy a $300 impact to get mine off...

It's not left hand thread, it's just a bit siezed. Even if you get the nut off, you might never get the axle to slide out of the hub. I've had to cut nuts off with a plasma torch before, and then a 50-ton press wouldn't even budge the axle from the hub.

Alternate impact, penetrating lube, and heat from an oxy acetylene torch. It wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in a 3/4" breaker bar either. If this doesn't eventually work, then consider a new hub and axle.

half inch hard hitting snap on impact and some power lube. it cant not come off. breaker bars like that will break. my breaker bar is all one pice. just sayin. you get what u pay for when it comes to tools. :/

I feel for you. I've been trying to get a crankshaft pulley bolt off of a Honda Prelude for over three days, it was torqued to 180ft-lbs from the factory. Breaker bars and my 350 impact wouldn't take it off. I ended up getting it off with a 750ft-lb impact wrench which took awhile to get a hold of.

I would suggest a stronger impact gun or a bigger breaker bar. Like Racer said though, pray the shaft isn't seized in the hub. That'll be your worst nightmare.

I feel for you. I've been trying to get a crankshaft pulley bolt off of a Honda Prelude for over three days, it was torqued to 180ft-lbs from the factory. Breaker bars and my 350 impact wouldn't take it off. I ended up getting it off with a 750ft-lb impact wrench which took awhile to get a hold of.

I would suggest a stronger impact gun or a bigger breaker bar. Like Racer said though, pray the shaft isn't seized in the hub. That'll be your worst nightmare.

those Honda's are terrible, sometimes I can raise the air pressure at the compresser to 150lbs and the impact will take it off but we had to get a 1 inch drive bar to remove the crank bolt

Well the gun was ingersol composite with like 500 lbs in reverse? If i remeber right, and its a half inch. And it laffed at it. The breaker bar was matco goda find a dealer so i get it replaced.

So Im taking out the axels right side no prboblem. Left side problem using my impact gun nothing. So the next day i goto work and bring back my half inch breaker bar. Put it on and snap breaks the anvil off the bar,and yes i took the cotter pin out. So before i go and bring the torces home. Is buy chance reverse thread?

do not use the torch, it ruins the wheel bearings, sometimes you can hit the nut on the side and loosen it, but its cheaper to split the nut than to heat the nut and ruin the bearings

I had the same issue the other day man. WD-40 is your dearest friend. Use lots of it.

do not use the torch, it ruins the wheel bearings, sometimes you can hit the nut on the side and loosen it, but its cheaper to split the nut than to heat the nut and ruin the bearings
I'm sure it is possible to ruin the wheel bearing if you put way too much heat to it for a long period of time. But, it's also possible to use a torch properly as well, and not ruin a wheel bearing. I've done it on at least 6 different DSMs over the years and never ruined one wheel bearing. As with anything, use in moderation.

The best impact I know of for the money, the the Ingersoll rand, titanium ones, I own one, it was like $230 or $280 used to be $450, anyways its rated like 700-800 forward, and 1000 reverse I believe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back