The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What happens when your BOV leaks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDSM

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 12, 2003
PennsylvaniaUS
or opens too soon?

I get up to 4k under boost and the car will make a rev limiter-like sound before boost falls off.

DaveDSM said:
the car will make a rev limiter-like sound before boost falls off.

That is your answer.

You are leaking boost and causing an improper air/fuel mixture. If you are tuned pretty tight then you will get a bucking feel and a sound just as you described.

midnght said:
That is your answer.

You are leaking boost and causing an improper air/fuel mixture. If you are tuned pretty tight then you will get a bucking feel and a sound just as you described.

I've leak tested the car to 18 psi. The BOV leaks around 8 psi. The Hallman ES starts leaking around 4 psi at the copper barb. I tape that off. My intercooler piping is all sealed down, new gasket on the compressor outlet. I can't find a leak from the TB, valvecover, or fuel injectors. I've even replaced the leaking oil cap. At idle before driving, the vac gauge will read 22 hg in, then go up to 20hg in. After a long drive it can go as high as 14 hg in, but spends a majority of its time around 16-17hg in.

Where else can I check?

Thank you,
Dave :talon:

DaveDSM said:
At idle before driving, the vac gauge will read 22 hg in, then go up to 20hg in. After a long drive it can go as high as 14 hg in, but spends a majority of its time around 16-17hg in.

Where else can I check?

These are all normal readings. The vacuum will be at different levels dependant on a few things. In gear, out of gear, partial throttle, no throttle.

Do you "hear" something or is it a slight bump in the car when you reach a certian RPM or Boost level?

midnght said:
These are all normal readings. The vacuum will be at different levels dependant on a few things. In gear, out of gear, partial throttle, no throttle.

Do you "hear" something or is it a slight bump in the car when you reach a certian RPM or Boost level?

It used to be a bump, but after closing off the leaks I've mentioned, it has now become a noise I hear.

Does this noise happen when boost is building or when the car is idle?

Maybe it is time to replace the BOV? :confused:

My GReddy-S gets a squeal to it when I go partial throttle at around 15psi, but once I punch the throttle it goes away and holds all the way.

midnght said:
Maybe it is time to replace the BOV? :confused:

My GReddy-S gets a squeal to it when I go partial throttle at around 15psi, but once I punch the throttle it goes away and holds all the way.

Well, it is load-dependent, not psi. In 2nd it will boost 16psi before making that sound, in 5th it can start giving trouble around 8-10psi.

I'm thinking there may be another boost leak somewhere, or maybe the BOV is the root of the entire problem at this point?

Rest of the car has checked out fine on leak testing, except the oil dipstick, which I wil replace..

Timing on the cams should be spot on, and base timing is 5 degrees. I'm trying to think what else would cause vac issues/boost difficulty.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back