The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

This is what happens when you have a bad oil cap...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoolio

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
Port Charlotte, Florida
i put this in the noob section so any newcommers can keep an eye on thier oil cap, cause we all know about dsm's and thier oil caps, they have to be replaced more then an apex seal in an rx7, i had no signs of oil spillage in my sparkplugs till my car was running a little boggy, which wouldnt be noticable to any first time dsm driver, i noticed it cause i monitor my engine almost on a daily basis, but anyways, heres some pics of what can happen with a bad oil cap,..

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

sorry the pics are so big, i didnt have time to resize, but u get the idea.

Might want to resize those a bit. But that sucks man. I cut a gasket for mine out of some gasket material and thats been holding up far better than the lame rubber crap on the caps. Might give it a shot :p

i personally use a gasket made out of cork and since ive done that i havent had a single drop. it comes in sheets and whenever your old gasket get flattened you just cut another.

Yeah that sucks, I had that same thing happen but not as bad. I thought I was shooting oil back out the plugs but after replacing the cap I haven't seen any oil.

Same thing happened to me. I had a coating of oil over the entire driver's side of the engine bay. I thought the valve cover gasket was blown out or something. Turned out to be just that stupid oil cap. I now use 2 stock rubber gaskets on a very tight sealing aftermarket cap. Its an extremely tight fit but doesn't leak a drop.

PieEyedPiper said:
i had the same thing happen, oil everywhere! like entirely coated my engine bay.

solution? ALWAYS PUT THE CAP BACK ON!! haha.

LOL! Sorry, that was just really good. It made my day, thanks.:thumb:

Reminded me of the time I took my first car for an oil change when I was 16. The idiot didn't put the dipstick back in. It wasn't pretty.

No_Skillz said:
Damn bill. Wtf did you do? And why are you in FL?

LOL idk i guess my oil cap just went bad, the problem is, is that the metal housing on the botton of the cap is really thin metal, so if you drop it or take it off all the time it tends to get bend down for some reason, and becomes loose, all you hafta do is just bend the fins back up and your good, anyways, ya i moved to florida the end of january of 06 , i got sick of the winters up there, me and my 1G are residing in ft myers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back