The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

GVR4- 11.4 @ 121 on 93 pumpgas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Crisman

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2008
Blairstown, New_Jersey
Went over to Island today for sunday T&T. Got there at about 12:30, sat in tech line till 1:15, then in line till after 2:20 for my first run. The place was PACKED with cars.

Run 1:
1.640 60'
4.939 330'
7.609 @ 93.97 1/8
9.870 1000'
11.800 @ 117.14 1/4

~23psi steady boost, no knock, mid 11's a/f, 13 to 15* timing.
Launch rpm was 6200, but I didn't get on the 2step until the last light so I left with pretty much no boost/free rev. it still came out smooth and fairly quick.

YouTube - GVR4 #139 11.8@117

My wife & kids left after the first run, my boys are only 4 and 2 years old, the big loud racecars were a little too much for them. Island also seems to have a nasty yellow jacket bee problem in the stands. So I only have video of my first run. They waited over 2 hours to see me make one pass, which musta sucked.

Second run:
1.656 60'
4.837 330'
7.418 @ 96.82 1/8
9.626 1000'
11.509 @ 120.21

Boost hit 28psi and start a steady decline to 24psi by 7500rpm.
raised timing 1*, but saw some knock (less than 8counts) in 3rd and 4th.
NLTS all gear shifts, but I let out in first gear right after the launch. I let the clutch slip just a bit too much and it kept slipping after the pedal came up, so I blipped the throttle in first to let it grab.

Third run:
1.621 60'
4.776 330'
7.344 @ 97.40
9.541 1000'
11.410 @ 120.96

same tune/boost setting, still dropping from 28 to 24psi. I did the same damn thing in first gear again...letting clutch out too slow, it doesn't feel like it grabs 100% and I lift throttle out of instinct for just a bit. Either way, a decent pass I think.

Saw knock counts of 13-14 in 4th gear, which pulled the timing down to 9*.
air temps were about 93* on the line and hit 121*F in 4th gear:noes:
A/F was still mid to high 11's, but I think I should try a little richer and less timing in the map so it stays off knock all together (or a little squirt of meth).

So I'm pretty happy with an 11.4 @ 121 on pumpgas, park the car and load up my tools, reinstall the headlight. Go to leave and the car wont start. after some investigating: no fuel pressure on gauge.

Check the pump, I have power at the plug. Pull out the sending unit and jumper the pump to the battery: it only turns on after getting whacked with a ratchet and was intermittent.

So supra pump died and left me stranded in the pits waiting for a tow truck. :eek3jerkit:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

(Mark's post about friday night just got me too itchy to wait till next weekend!)

Nice runs! Care to share details of the engine setup? I know your vid said you were running a 50trim. Is this a bolt-on or t3 setup?

Nice runs! Care to share details of the engine setup? I know your vid said you were running a 50trim. Is this a bolt-on or t3 setup?

It's a PTE SC5031. The standard 50 trim with the T31 turbine wheel. .63AR T3 turbine housing hung on a cheapo XS-Power T3 manifold. (it was on a parts car, might as well use it since it's near worthless to sell)

cut/paste mod list

Modifications:
Engine:
Stock 6bolt oem shortblock..from a low mileage dsm.
Ported 1g head w/ Ferrea springs & Ti retainers
HKS cams: 272 Exh / 264 In
90 DSM oil cooler & filter housing
Stock HG & ARP headstuds.
Balance shafts removed.
90 water pipe
Jay Racing alternator relocation
Unorthodox aluminum crank pulley
JNZ Finishing powdercoated valve cover
Prothane engine mounts

Exhaust:

T3 tube header - XS Power
Tial MVS 38mm Vband external gate
PTE T3 .63 a/r turbine housing (ford style 5 bolt outlet with no wastegate hole)
JMFab 2.5" T3 stainless o2 housing
3" downpipe, testpipe, catback

Intake:

3" intake pipe with K&N filter
Precision SC5031 turbocharger (50trim/3"inlet/2"outlet)(T31 turbine wheel/.63 ar T3 housing)
XS Power 24" x 12" x 4" FMIC core. (inlet endtank flipped & rewelded with 2.5" cast elbow)
2.5" polished aluminum custom ic pipes
knockoff tial bov
1G DSM NT throttle body
JMFabrications intake manifold (2006 race version)

Fuel:
750cc FIC Injectors
Denso supra fuel pump
Aeromotive FPR
-6 aeroquip pushlock fuel lines (using stock return line)
Russell -6 billet fuel filter

Electronics:
DSMap speed density software on Ostrich eprom emulator
GM 3 bar map sensor and GM Air Temp sensor.
Innovate LC-1 wideband o2 sensor w/ gauge.
AEM Tru-Boost gauge controller
Datalogger cable / Palm M130 / MMSD "speed density logger"
JMFab coil relocation bracket
Magnecore wires & NGK BPR7ES plugs

Drivetrain:
TRE Stage 2 tranny rebuild
ACT2600 PP
OEM DSM disk
Clutchmasters aluminum flywheel
SS clutch line
Welded center diff
4bolt DSM rear
5 lug DSM hubs

Suspension & Brakes:
D2 coilover suspension
ES poly bushing set
SS brake lines
Fresh stock brake pads
Slotted brake rotors
ABS, 4WS, front swaybar removed

Hey at least it wasn't a tranny! Very nice numbers on pump btw =)

I went to the track about 50/50 expecting to come home on the flatbed, but I never imagined it would be due to a fuel pump.:ohdamn:

Atleast it's an easy fix. The car has a -6 feed line already, and the sending unit is all hacked up from prev owner putting the supra pump in, so I'm thinking about my options for pumps:

another supra intank pump?
Are the external walbro 255's any better?

I went to the track about 50/50 expecting to come home on the flatbed, but I never imagined it would be due to a fuel pump.:ohdamn:

Atleast it's an easy fix. The car has a -6 feed line already, and the sending unit is all hacked up from prev owner putting the supra pump in, so I'm thinking about my options for pumps:

another supra intank pump?
Are the external walbro 255's any better?

Just use a 255hp intank and a 255hp inline. Works great.

Yeah go for the 255 in tank and 255 inline, thats a good setup.
I'd rather skate street tires all the way down than use slicks or drag radials, but thats just the drifter in me =)

Sick times, ever get the car dynoed?

I will eventually, but going by total weight/mph against some local guys around me, I would expect the car to put down about 410whp on the awd dynojet at turbotrix in it's current setup.

Im going to run it Oct 7th with racegas, a more aggressive tune, -100lb weight, a bit more boost, and a new 4" cold air intake. Will see what mph it can put up on racegas, and I hope to see a 10.xxx ET.

Yeah go for the 255 in tank and 255 inline, thats a good setup.
I'd rather skate street tires all the way down than use slicks or drag radials, but thats just the drifter in me =)

yeah, looks like Im going to stick a normal 255hp in there for a bit then decide over the fall what Im going to do for a permanant fuel setup. I'm supposed to be getting down to JMF to build an aluminum bolt in fuel cell, from which I may just run an external pump. But for now, Id like to just get it running again as cheap as possible.

As for tires, to each his own, but I can't stand going to the track with a car I know run XXX and only getting 70% of the performance it's capable of. I went 11.9 @ 119 in the car on 17" street tires with a sorry 1.88 60' the first time at the track with the car.:notgood: Those hoosiers will likely end up being the difference between an 11.7 or so that it would be capable of on street tires on a really clean run vs what I hope will end up being a 10.9 assuming a difference of high 1.7 short times on street tires vs low 1.5's on hoosiers. That's more performance than any other single mod you can possibly do to a DSM other than nitrous.

Good job Nate. Drop in the Walbro 255 in the tank. You don't need the in-tank & in-line pump setup right now. You're not running out of fuel, you just have a bad pump. You can shed some weight (~120#s) by switching to the jdm front & rear bumpers.

Nice runs and the car looks killer on the slicks! You and I would be a nice run...I'm 7.360at the 1/8th. Good luck, I'd assume you're shooting for the 10's!

I got a box yesterday with a 4" aluminum U bend, 4"dia K&N, and Tial springs to set the wastegate to 1.4bar/22psi. Going to make a 4" cold air intake with should help the ait. The springs should help keep the boost pressure steady at high rpm where it was previously dropping down.

Dropping off another 100lb: 48lb rear bumper support, 35lb pass seat, 10lb muffler, few misc little things.

Up the launch rpm 500-750rpm for some 1.5 action

116 octane + 29psi + 20* timing.

Hopefully 10.9 @ 125 next time out.

Nice..............good luck hittin 10's! I'm picking up a GVR4 soon, it's BONE stock from the original owner. Wonder if I'll ever take the 14b off it!:D

Let us know how it goes!

I'm going to need some of that good luck for sure! I'm fixing some dumb stuff while waiting for parts to arrive, so I pulled the Xcase and exhaust off to swap oil pans (first pan cracked and was leaking).

First I find my exhaust has a hanger tore out back by the muffler. It left a hole right in the last bend before the muffler, so there is no fixing it without welding. I love it when someone uses stainless pipe, stainless flanges, stainless muffler, and mild steel weld filler rod.

The big deal: Xcase is stuck on the driveshaft already. The yoke was brand new. Splines are twisted together with only 3 hoosier launches. hahaha Ill be suprised if it takes many more before the output shaft snaps.

You are same Nate, from DSMotorsports, correct??? Great job and nice comeback... I thought you gave up... Andy/ that used to call you many times/. Best service and prices...

Good luck.

That is the Nate of DSMotorsports that had the yellow 1G with graphics and Weld Drag Wheels! 11.44@118 on the 14b!

I'm going to need some of that good luck for sure! I'm fixing some dumb stuff while waiting for parts to arrive, so I pulled the Xcase and exhaust off to swap oil pans (first pan cracked and was leaking).

First I find my exhaust has a hanger tore out back by the muffler. It left a hole right in the last bend before the muffler, so there is no fixing it without welding. I love it when someone uses stainless pipe, stainless flanges, stainless muffler, and mild steel weld filler rod.

The big deal: Xcase is stuck on the driveshaft already. The yoke was brand new. Splines are twisted together with only 3 hoosier launches. hahaha Ill be suprised if it takes many more before the output shaft snaps.

Wow....sounds like a couple of PITA problems you have there. I hear you on the exhaust, what a joke. Sucks about the yoke, what the heck can you do to help hinder that? Drop weight would be my only guess......:hmm:

I'm sure you'll iron it out and hit 10's by seasons end!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back