The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

good MBC? [Merged 5-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxcrazy

Probationary Member
Jan 26, 2003
L.A._Calif.
I am ready to give up my home made mbc. Does anyone know of a really good MBC, minimal to no boost spike?

i have the hallman and love it...im fwd and i dont get 2.6 60fts...i get 2.2 2.3s its all in the right foot:thumb:

near stock ????
My Car,
Injen intake, Greddy Type-S Bov, Upper I/C pipe, Mach V 2.5 down pipe, Manual boost controller<Taken off>,Test pipe,O2 dump housein ,190 walbro fuel pump, Agp T28 Turbo Ported, Custom Turbo N-1 Cat back Exhaust, Ported Header

He may have had a shot of juice pushing his car =0/

just that i havent pushed my T-28 to push out the Hp it was ment for =0)
Later
Rob

Need a boost controller for my t25, decided that the Turbo XS High Performance mbc would be best because it has a ball and spring + bleeder. That way I should get little spike and fast spool. Good pick? Cost $125 which seems like it's worth it.

in my expirance i havent seen much difference between different manual ball spring boost controlers, there will not be a noticable difference between them

the only real difference is featuers, i would recomend the hallman pro evoloution, because u can adjust ur boost from inside the car via a long cable connected to the mbc with a knob on the end, very smart design, although it is a bit on the expensive side
i also like the dual stage mbc's, the dejon tool one is priced the best, being able to switch from low boost to ur high boost setting with a flip of a switch is a nice feature if u street race

i personaly use a standard hallman mbc, boost spike is almost non existant is u position the knob correctly, on the first try setting it, it will usually spike about 1.5 psi abive where i want it, bt if u make very small adjustments to the knob it goes away, i currently have mine set to about 16.5 psi and it never overboosts past 17
my friend has an extreme mbc on his 2g(t25) and it never goes past the 15 psi we set it at, ever, and in my opinion the extreme mbc is the worst and most crappy and cheaply made mbc on the market, but he had a very small ammount of tubing connecting it, less then 6 inches on each side of the mbc, i think the legnth of the tube connecting affects how well it works

not that the turbo xs one isnt nice, but its overpriced for what it is

like i said, its a good mbc, but u can get one that works just as good with better features for the same price, or one that works just as good for cheaper

im not saying its overpriced in terms of how well it works, its overpriced based on what other comparable boost controlers sell for, an single stage mbc shouldnt be more then a hundred bucks, unless it has some type of extra features, these things cost about 15 bucks to make, hell if u had a block of aluminum and a machine shop u could make an extreme mbc for about $10, my friends dad used to make immitations of that mbc at his work and sell them for like 35 bucks

but you never know if this works better or not than others if you havent used it...im sure it would hold more boost more consistently then the others, but back on topic

from what i understand this is worth the money, if you want a nice boost controller i would recommend it, iwil be getting it

I've had it for a little over a year now. It's the only MBC I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'll give you my opinion on it.

Good: Very precise boost control and lots of adjustability, since it has a coarse adjustment on the side and a fine adjustment on the top.

Not so good: I don't like having to break out the Allen wrench every time I need to adjust it. That's one reason I'm looking at the Hallman MBC (not the cockpit-adjustable one, though). I mean, you don't have to adjust it much once it's set, but just being able to turn a knob instead of hunting down an Allen wrench is a plus in my book.

Hallman ES from MachV.com for $50 keeps mine solid at 16 psi no spikes, I too have it connected directly at the turbo outlet pipe not T'd at the bov so my lines are less than 6 inches. Shorter the hoses the better.

I just bought a mbc from http://www.proboostmbc.com/.

Is it any good? For $20, I figured I'd try it out. I guess it has a bleeder hole to control spike and the usual ball and spring for boost adjusting. I don't see many people talking about it.

Thanks.

Well they dont tell you ANYTHING about that boostc ontroller on the website. It looks just like the one I made from Home Depot parts for 7 dollars. I don't know if it has a ball and spring in it, it doesn't say that it does. The one I made used a ball bearing and a spring out of a pen (ruined a few good pens looking for the right spring) and it worked great until the spring bound up from too many turns. If anything I guess you can use it and be the guinea pig and then tell us what you think. Good Luck.

i read through the post and it DOES NOT come with vac lines, although it said you would need about 1.5 feet of it. also all the 3s guys seem satisfied with it so ill pick one up when the time comes.

alos go here to get the 3s discount:
http://proboostmbc.com/3si/

sweet deal

I just got a greddy type s BOV and hard uicp, just need a MBC before install, just to get them both out of the way, what is an in-expensive MBC that will not spike, ive seen ones on ebay for 10-30 bucks, are they a steal or a bad deal?

Joe P MBC XZ all the way. $45 shipped from www.boostcontroller.com. It's proven on DSM's and I've never heard a bad review of it. Plus the new locking adjuster screw is pretty cool. I've been using mine for a few months now and it is really easy to adjust as long as you have a decent boost gauge.

ive got an ebay one I will sell you! Used it for months worked great untill I started to get crazy boost creep becuase of my exhaust when I took it off. If you want it pm me and we can work something out.

Go to Home depot in the air compresser section with all the hoses and stuff, and buy an adjustable air pressure regulator. It'll cost about 15-20 dollars and is everybit as effective as an ebay special.(In fact, I've seen them on ebay for $50, all they do is repackage them)

That first ebay link is the Air regulator I'm talking about! Exact same thing I bought for $15 at Home depot. And it's ball and spring.

I find this line in the second ad funny...

"If you currently have a manual boost controller and are experiencing problems with your boost, the controllers we sell will solve your problems, provided that your current problems are caused by your old boost controller."

That would sell me! :thumb:

I wouldn't use the one on ebay, not the first one. Those air pressure regulators never work very well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back