The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Gearbox issues, broken 5 gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JsotoGST

Probationary Member
Mar 11, 2019
San José, Central_America
Hello,

I´m new into the world of DSM I have been reading a lot and practicing with my cars (I have a 1990 GST and a 1993 GS) I love this cars but this is my first time owning one.

Here is my problem the gearbox on my GST is broken the 5th gear and syncros are busted. The gearbox code is KF5M33 and I have the KF5M22 can I swap the gears between them?

Thanks in advance

Welcome, Jsoto, to the forum. Always glad to have new members. According to one of our technical guru's, you cannot swap those gears.
@bastarddsm and @twicks69 are 2 guys that do work on these gearboxes so you might want to try to contact one of them and discuss if they have any spare used 90 5th gears and syncros.
Usually, the big 32mm nut comes loose and lets the gear fail, my 90 was loose but didn't fall off. It is a typical failure. After fixing and reassembly, you need to "Stake" the nut so it won't move.
Hope this was helpful and again, welcome!
Marty

Hey thank you very much for the reply, I actually sent an email to TMZ which I think @twicks69 is part of, so I really appreciate the help here is a picture of my gear:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It has 31 teeth on the outer housing and 30 teeth the synchro ring. I hope it helps to get more info on it!

Thanks in advance

TMZ is our good friend Tim Zimmer, twicks, so you got ahold of one of them. Either are good at them, the other man has recently started White Shed Speed, a vendor of ours also, which are listed at the bottom of the page.
Glad you got on and are trying to fix it up before it goes bad.

Could you please show the side profile and top of the gear, as well as the shift fork / hub and slider assembly and synchros?

I need to know which version 5th gearset you have installed in your transmission. Same thing goes with the donor 5th gearset. There are certain parts that can be interchanged, and there are some that are not compatible. More details are needed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back