The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Gearbox shimming expert needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok Here we go again. I used some new solder that i got from Ebay which contained lead, I'm thinking with lead the solder will be softer? I also left it over night to settle, and here's the results.

Size of gap

Input shaft. = 0.055- 0.055

Intermediate = 0.049 - 0.050

center diff = 0.056 - 0.056

output shaft = 0.066 - 0.066

front diff = 0.047 - 0.046

as you can see the input and intermediate are still quite thick. I have one last idea and that is to bring the gearbox indoors as it's still getting quite cold over here in England at nights. I'm also going to try torquing it down every now and then as the solder squashes.

By the way the original input shim was 0.041 and the output was 0.041

What parts did you change during the rebuild? Once in a while I see odd shim values and need to use a custom one.

I didnt change anything. I had to take it apart because i sand blasted the gearbox. I thought i sealed all the holes up but being a well practiced dumb ass i left one unsealed:ohdamn: I just thought i would try and shim the box up so as to do the best job i can.

Just an update. I'm know trying to do just the input shaft and intermediate shaft. By them selves. I'm actually leaving the center diff out altogether. If the readings come out the same then ill seek advice on weather to replace the bearings or stack shims.

The key issue you may be facing is due to your bearings itself being out of spec and causing excessive bearing gaps, hence the reason for your very large solder thicknesses.

Personally, you would have better luck starting with new bearings.

Give these a try:

Front Diff:
MD720945 7 0.0421"
or
MD710454 J 0.0433"

Input Shaft:
MD710461 Q 0.0563"

Intermediate Shaft:
MD712330 40 0.0551"

Center Diff:
MD718526 55 0.0610"

Output Pinion Shaft:
MD724337 70 0.0669"

Those are all safe numbers considering your bearings probably already have quite a bit of wear on them. These preloads will do a better job at making it last as long as possible.

Ok Ill see what happens with this last test. Then if all else fails then ill try those shims. :thumb:

At the very least, changing the intermediate shaft bearing on the 1st gear side is a good idea as this one seems to get beat up the worst.

Thanks Lowell but the gear box isn't really going to be doing that much. May be a couple of runs down the drag strip if I'm lucky. Besides it wasn't really that bad when i took it off.

I ran a couple of more tests. One included, putting the bearing races into the housings as far as they would go, then putting the housing onto the shafts and seeing how much play there was. The test confirmed that the intermediate and input shafts both had quite a bit play. Confirming that the rather large readings i was getting with the solder where right.

So now i think I'll go with the shims twicks suggested, Just to get my buy as i plan on buying another gearbox to completely service and modify.

Again thanks to all who helped :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back