The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Tranny Shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

set3422

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
When you folks rebuild your tranny, did you shim on all the shafts and differentials? If you did, what was the thickness or thinness of the spacer you used. In other word, how tight did you shim the bearings (loose or tight)? When I rebuilt mine, I only shimmed the intermediate shaft, input shaft, and center differential on the loose side. I didn't shim the front output shaft and front differential because i didn't replace the bearings on them (still good). Do you think it was necessary to shim all of them, eventhough you keep some of the old bearings. Now my rebuilt tranny grinds a little at around 3k rpm during accelaration and coast down roll. Sorry for too many Q's. Thanks for your help.

You should have measured all of them. I try to shoot for in the middle of spec if possible (.002-.004" preload) , and go for 0.00" ENDplay on the input shaft.

Thanks a million. I'll reshim all of them.

Originally posted by turbo20lbs
You should have measured all of them. I try to shoot for in the middle of spec if possible (.002-.004" preload) , and go for 0.00" ENDplay on the input shaft.

sorry I don't quite get you here on middle of the spec for 0.002-0.004" because the factory spec is 0.0031-0.005" for int and center diff. Thanks.

Sorry, I'm reffering to my factory manual specs which is for a 2g. Regardless, I ususally try to shoot for the middle of spec (whatever that may be on your tranny).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back