The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Fuel Pump Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malamoney

Probationary Member
May 9, 2018
Franklin, Massachusetts
My 1997 GSX has been sitting for about 2 years :(

I replaced the battery, but it still won't start. It turns over, but won't start. Here is a link to a video of me trying to start it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cZN3s1CJhlwUyuE7r_DHePxgxuG1k6Eq

I doesn't seem to be getting any fuel.

I pulled the back seat and when I am cranking (key to start position), I don't hear the fuel pump. Considering it is a Walbro 255 which is known to be whiney, I am pretty sure I'd hear it in while in the car with the windows and doors shut and back seat removed.

I pulled the wiring harness to the pump. When I put a voltage tester in the pin that supplies power to the pump, the little light in the voltage tester turns on when trying to start the car. So it appears the pump is getting power.

I have read that there is a fuel pump test connector under the hood. Does anyone have a good picture pointing it out for a '97 GSX? I want to find out if the pump is bad. I read that I could remove the fuel return hose on the fuel rail. Attach another hose to the barb and dump the hose to a bucket and crank for a few seconds. As long as the fuel pump is turning on it will spit the gas out into the container.

Does anyone have a picture of where the return hose is that I should disconnect?

Thanks a million in advance for helping...

the connector is on the firewall (highlighted in pic)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

if its a walbro pump, you should be able to hear it. If your getting power to the pump and you don't hear anything, get a new pump. If the car has been sitting for 2 years i would replace the fuel filter and old gas when you replace the pump.

Last edited:
the connector is on the firewall (highlighted in pic)

if its a walbro pump, you should be able to hear it. If your getting power to the pump and you don't hear anything, get a new pump. If the car has been sitting for 2 years i would replace the fuel filter and old gas when you replace the pump.

Thanks. What kind of wire do I need to rig up to go from the positive terminal on the battery to the fuel pump test connector? I guess I am asking what connector I will need to connect to the test connector.

The return line is on the drivers side off of the fuel rail. It has a vacuum line and a larger line which is the return. Are you getting spark?
How do I test for spark?

The return line is on the drivers side off of the fuel rail. It has a vacuum line and a larger line which is the return. Are you getting spark?

So I just pulled the return hose (driver's side) from the fuel rail. I had a rag under it to catch any gas that might spill, but gas kept coming out of the return hose. Made a small mess. I put the return hose back on, but now there's gas in the general area and underneath it

Wipe away any residual and it'll eventually evaporate. Keep a hose or extinguisher handy when you restart. You should be fine though.
I put the return line back on there cause it was still coming out. How much more is in there? Should I try and hold an empty gatorade bottle under it until it stops?

That tells me you're getting fuel. Pull a plug and see if it's wet. If it's dry, could be your injectors aren't opening. If it's wet and smells like fuel, check for spark. I wouldn't use a plastic bottle for fuel unless it's specifically for gasoline or else it'll just eat away the plastic. Glass, tin or aluminum would be better for gas.

That tells me you're getting fuel. Pull a plug and see if it's wet. If it's dry, could be your injectors aren't opening. If it's wet and smells like fuel, check for spark. I wouldn't use a plastic bottle for fuel unless it's specifically for gasoline or else it'll just eat away the plastic. Glass, tin or aluminum would be better for gas.

You don't think that could be the gas that is left in the return? My first goal here is to make sure the fuel pump is working. How do I pull a plug? I will look for a more suitable container. Just needed something small that I could fit in there and get under the return hose. Not much slack there...

The engine bay. They'll usually leave a mess. When you pulled the return hose off the regulator, it kept coming out of the regulator, correct?

What's a regulator? I pulled the return hose (driver's side) off the fuel rail. Gas kept coming (trickling) out of that those. Once it soaked my rag and started dripping, I put it back on the fuel rail. Is there a siphon in the line? Do I need to plug it with a bolt?

I wanted to remove that hose and run my own 6 foot hose from the return port on the fuel rail to a gas can and then power the pump to see if gas comes out.

What is a regulator? Sorry for the newb question...

The regulator limits the pressure of the fuel. If you have a stock setup it'll be a half dollar around, about a half inch thick UFO looking thing with a vacuum line going to it.
If it wasn't stored properly it could be any number of problems. I've even seen acorns inside a timing belt cover that made the belt skip a tooth.

Pull a spark plug boot off. Put a screw driver in the end of the spark plug boot and lay it across the valve cover on the handle so it's insulated. Have a friend crank the car. Don't try to touch it, but look for what should be a bright blue arc from the screw driver to the valve cover.
I like to test for spark BEFORE removing the fuel rail because gas is flammable. If you already pulled the rail, wait a day or two to try this. Only a few things will cause the car not to run. Fuel, spark, timing. Although the injectors could be gummed up by now also.

It keeps the fuel at the correct pressure during vacuum/boost. It rises and falls at a 1 to 1 rate. As boost raises, so does the fuel pressure. Likewise, when you are idling and have vacuum, it decreases fuel pressure. 1# of boost raises pressure by 1 more pound. 10 inches of vacuum decreases pressure by 10 pounds.
Picture attached, but I think you know where it is since you have been testing.

This is the fuel pressure regulator. It’s slightly different on 2g.

You can plug the return but just be careful not to distort the hose since you have to put it back on. I honestly don’t know if you’ll get enough pressure for fuel to bypass the regulator. There’s a spring inside the regulator. X amount of pressure has to build to be able to push that spring open letting fuel return.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back