1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Front Driver Side Rack Seal... BAD under Bellow

Posted by pagan, Aug 18, 2012

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. pagan

pagan Probationary Member

Joined Jul 12, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia
    All my power steering fluid ended up in the bellow of the driver side. I have all seals replacement kit for the rack and pinion. I removed the outer and inner tie rod... how do I get the seal out? Holy CRAP! I've been staring at it for HOURS.
    Money is an issue... a true mechanic is not an option.

2. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Germansville, Pennsylvania
    Try this out!
    784CA176-0AA1-42BB-AD6E-16A7898782E1-5503-000008BBAB5B7229.jpg

445  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  3. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    If you remove the input shaft assemble than you will be able to push the main shaft out than you can pull the seal out . I would replace all the seals and o rings while you have it apart.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. pagan

Joined Jul 12, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia
    What tool do I use? There seems to be no room to get a screw driver in the grooves on the side to pry it out, and no wrench fits... do I just pull it out? Does it screw in? Great picture of the assemby, but doesn't show how to get it out.

5. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    Remove the bolts that hold the input shaft assembly to the rack body and pull the input shaft out (the part that the steering column attaches to) From there you will need to push the main shaft (the part that the inner tie rods attaches to) out and you will be able to pull the seals out then.

6. pagan

Joined Jul 12, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia
    How long should this entire process take?

7. bryanwheat

bryanwheat DSM Wiseman

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri
    To do it right it could take a few hours. I would disassemble the whole thing, clean it well, and reassemble with the new seal kit.

8. pagan

Joined Jul 12, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia
    And if I rush? I have to drive my car tomorrow and return the inner tie rod kit back to O'Reilly.
    Can't I just use a pick and pull the darned seal out? The main seal anyway? After I take off the inner tie rod, I can see the seal.

Does anyone live near Marietta, GA that knows how to do this?
    I see the seal when I take off the inner tie rod, but can I use a pick or something to get the seal out?