The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Front Driver Side Rack Seal... BAD under Bellow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pagan

Probationary Member
Jul 12, 2012
Marietta, Georgia
All my power steering fluid ended up in the bellow of the driver side. I have all seals replacement kit for the rack and pinion. I removed the outer and inner tie rod... how do I get the seal out? Holy CRAP! I've been staring at it for HOURS.
Money is an issue... a true mechanic is not an option.

If you remove the input shaft assemble than you will be able to push the main shaft out than you can pull the seal out . I would replace all the seals and o rings while you have it apart.

Last edited:
What tool do I use? There seems to be no room to get a screw driver in the grooves on the side to pry it out, and no wrench fits... do I just pull it out? Does it screw in? Great picture of the assemby, but doesn't show how to get it out.

What tool do I use? There seems to be no room to get a screw driver in the grooves on the side to pry it out, and no wrench fits... do I just pull it out? Does it screw in? Great picture of the assemby, but doesn't show how to get it out.

Remove the bolts that hold the input shaft assembly to the rack body and pull the input shaft out (the part that the steering column attaches to) From there you will need to push the main shaft (the part that the inner tie rods attaches to) out and you will be able to pull the seals out then.

And if I rush? I have to drive my car tomorrow and return the inner tie rod kit back to O'Reilly.
Can't I just use a pick and pull the darned seal out? The main seal anyway? After I take off the inner tie rod, I can see the seal.

Does anyone live near Marietta, GA that knows how to do this?
I see the seal when I take off the inner tie rod, but can I use a pick or something to get the seal out?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back