The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Fp green or gt30r

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subiesportwagon

Probationary Member
Oct 11, 2008
Mays Landing, New_Jersey
Which would be better for a street car. It would be on a 98 gsx with all the suporting mods. I want big power and low time slips. Any information on boost times between the two orsepower limits maintance etc. IOm not interested in othere turbos or how the 16g is awesome or the hx35. LOL Just intersested in a comparison of these two turbos.
Thanks
Tom

Fp green would be better for you probably. It's cheaper also. You can get a fp green for about 1200-1300. It can support 500hp, bolts right onto your stock o2 housing and stock manifold. Spools much faster than the gt30 which makes it a more streetable car. You should get full boost by 3800-4000 rpm.

I agree with the fp green as well. It has good kick up top and spool time isn't as bad as the gt30r.

What are your goals for this? You say a street car, but then you also want "big power and low time slips". We need more definitive goals. Spool time between a GT30R and Green shouldn't actually be too different, the green will spool faster, but only by a couple hundred RPM. Using an FP3052, which is a GT3076R in a .68 a/r bolt on housing I see full boost a little before 4k. GT30Rs, being ball bearing, will have better transient response than the Green. Also, GT30Rs will give you better top end over the Green. A green is basically a Garrett 50-trim compressor wheel in a TDO6 housing mated to a TDO6H turbine wheel in a 7cm^2 exhaust housing, should flow somewhere around 49 lb/min. The GT30R is rated at 52 lb/min but the general consensus is that it is underrated by Garrett, there have been several in the tens. Again, without defined goals its hard to say which would be better for you. What do you want, a street car or low time slips above all else?

Well thats a hard one. Id say ultimatly id like like to dip into the tens and hit 180ish on the salt flats. But i understand to do that my skill and the rest of the car has to be up to par. I have another daily driver vehicle. So i guess im looking for a turbo that can get me into the 13s, 12s, 11s, and with and luck the 10s. A turbo that as i become braver and build my car better can still give me more untill i reach my goal.

I know its a lot to ask of just one turbo, but i just dont want to buy it twice.

Thanks again everyone.

I'd advise you to slow down a little bit. I know you said that you don't want to buy a turbo twice, but that's generally the smartest thing to do. You're going to need to learn how to run whatever engine management system you're going to use. You're also going to have to learn how to launch the car. All of this (and everything else that comes with a build) will be a lot easier if you've got a turbo that you can handle on there. I'd suggest you start out with an EVOIII 16G and that will get you to the low 12's at least (we ran 12.0 on our 16G). Once you've figured all that out, you can go out and get a bigger turbo. That's just my personal opinion, but I think if you went that way you'd be a lot happier in the long run.

I'd advise you to slow down a little bit. I know you said that you don't want to buy a turbo twice, but that's generally the smartest thing to do. You're going to need to learn how to run whatever engine management system you're going to use. You're also going to have to learn how to launch the car. All of this (and everything else that comes with a build) will be a lot easier if you've got a turbo that you can handle on there. I'd suggest you start out with an EVOIII 16G and that will get you to the low 12's at least (we ran 12.0 on our 16G). Once you've figured all that out, you can go out and get a bigger turbo. That's just my personal opinion, but I think if you went that way you'd be a lot happier in the long run.

I understand what Kahl is saying but I agree with the OP. For example, I would have never bought a 2.5 inch exhaust had I known that i would be upgrading to 3 inch. Buy once, you can always increase boost pressure later on once you are comfortable. :sneaky:

I know how good the 16g is. I just cant deal with the power and boost falling off in the top end. I like top end in a car. Its just more fun when you have to work a little to go fast. I mean rev it, slip the clutch, down shift. Its just my personal preferance. Not knocking the 16g at all.

HX35!!!!

Haha, honestly the FP Green is one of the most efficient '50trim' size turbo's out there, but a 3076r should ultimately make more power while still spooling very quickly.

I have had both turbos. For a street car you can't go wrong with a FP3052. Don't get me wrong the FPgreen is great but its becoming out dated. Just make the jump now to the FP3052.

Look at my sig below.
Car wight with me in it is 3360lbs.
That should give you a idea of what the fp3052 can do

I have had both turbos. For a street car you can't go wrong with a FP3052. Don't get me wrong the FPgreen is great but its becoming out dated. Just make the jump now to the FP3052.

Look at my sig below.
Car wight with me in it is 3360lbs.
That should give you a idea of what the fp3052 can do

Plus the FP Green and the 3052 have almost the exact same spool time but the ball bearings will be better between shifts.

My FP3052 gets full boost by 3400-3500rpms. Thats going from a 3rd gear roll on at 2800rpms. But I am also on e85 running a good amount of timing.

I dont hit full boost until 4000 rpm on 93 oct. Maybe that will get better after the upcoming dyno tune.

Realistically, you should look at a bigger turbo than both for your goal. Unless you're going to do some weight reduction. Still A bigger turbo will give you more room for growth down the road. Like an s259 (big turbine wheel) or the small hx40 (8blade).

The gt30r would be the smallest I would go. The fpgreen is a great turbo but the hotside is small and the compressor doesn't flow over 50lb/min without greatly overspinning it.

An fp3065 would be better. At the minimum, a gt30r or fp3052. Higher flowing turbos would be better though. An hx35 with with the stock holset housing (there's logs confirming 60lb/min with this turbo). Small 8blade hx40. S256, s258, s259 with big turbine wheel. All those turbos are typically fully spooled by about 4K in 3rd. SC6052re, frp red (make sure you get the clip or the 8cm^2 turbine housing. Typically, these will be fully spooled after 4600rpms in 3rd.

I'd go fp3052 just from what I've heard/read but I was thinking HTA (faster spooling time) 30 or 35R for my build so I'm still up in the air like you. I woudn't run the green.

As an aside to this, I believe FP no longer offers 8 cm^2 housings on their turbos, I don't know if it was a supply issue or if they simply weren't selling, but they are no longer on their site. That isn't to say, however, that if you called them they wouldn't be able to find one for you, but I wouldn't get my heart set on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back