The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Sleeper 16G or FP Green

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZiggoGSX

Probationary Member
Mar 2, 2009
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Hey everyone this is my first post on this site and my question is:

First off i was thinking of running a Sleeper 16G to the DSM Shootout this year and running in the Stock Appearing Class. Then after talking to my buddy about he mentioned the idea of a FP Green setup (i know i wouldnt beable to run in the Stock Appearing Class with this turbo) he mentioned it with the thought of what i wanted, to go faster but not crazy fast, which the green would allow me to do along with going a bit faster if i wanted to. so my problem is that i am leaning twards the FP Green but still cant quite forget about the Sleeper 16G. I know i dont have my mods listed and its not much ill give you what i have now and what im planning on putting in before the turbo.

1995 2nd gen talon tsi awd 5 spd
engine internals are bone stock
BFMIC
Big 16G turbo
Stock 450cc injectors
Stock fuel pump
Stock head studs and gasket
Narrowband A/F gauge (OoOoOo)
Stock Cams
ACT 2100 clutch
1G BOV

Whats going in:
ARP Head studs and quadlayer head gasket
780cc injectors
255lph fuel pump
wideband a/f gauge
DSM Link
272 Cams
TIAL BOV
And id like to go with and external wastegate with the new turbo which mean ill need a new manifold but i think that pretty much wraps up my question thank you for your time and advice:thumb:

I'd say it depends on how aggressive of a driver you are, or how serious you are about running the stock-appearing class. If you want to launch like a grandma and trap 115, the Green would be a better choice. If you want to drive the wheels off your car and get a low 12 / high 11 in the stock class, the Sleeper 16G is for you.

Just for the record, last year's stock-appearing class winner at the Shootout ran 11.99 @ 114.

do you think also putting in a studder box would help get a better launch with the fp green to get a better time and trap?

thank for the advice too

If you have DSMLink / ECMLink, you won't need to "put in a studder box". This option is selectable with the click of a mouse or touchpad, so you can turn it on or off as desired.

I would say you'd want a little bit of stutter with the Green- probably around 4500-5000rpms depending on your launch style. Stay away from AntiLag for the time being....it's downright nasty to get used to for a beginner.

didnt know that thanks for not ridiculing me for being new to this

First off think if your motor can handle the fp green? Get the sleeper 16g it will let you get the most out of your stock motor, or you can just get the fp green and run low boost until you get a stronger bottom end. Also if you plan on getting the fp green plan on getting bigger injectors, just for extra protection, and a fpr to control the 255.

How is any 16g stock appearing for a 2g? Seems stupid that they would let people run even a 14b on a 2g if it's supposed to look stock. Stock appearing could be 450+awhp or more easily if they are not strict.

Edit: I just read the rules. Definitely could get more than 450awhp according to those rules -- high compression, cams, FMIC and piping, 16G or maybe 18G. I like the "No visible alcohol injection bottles." part. It's like a different wording of, pretty much anything that is hidden is allowed.

didnt know that thanks for not ridiculing me for being new to this
I would, but I'm not allowed. :D

Only kidding, of course.

There's alot to learn about tuning and general setup as well as driving / launching before you decide to jump headfirst into competitive drag racing. There are guys out there with much more experience that know exactly how to tune and launch their car to be as competitive as possible. Also beware of the guys in autos....they know exactly what their car can run, and if they cut a good light they'll run the same time every pass. A 5-speed's inconsistency at launching and shifting will lose everytime.

Get the sleeper 16g it will let you get the most out of your stock motor, or you can just get the fp green and run low boost until you get a stronger bottom end.
I would choose the former. Running an FP Green under it's compressor efficiency range would basically be like running a super-laggy 16G.

How is any 16g stock appearing for a 2g?
I think they consider it "stock appearing" because the TD05H platform was used on 1G DSM's. I believe you're allowed to use only parts that existed on 1G or 2G cars regardless of whether the car that goes down the track is a 1G or a 2G.

thanks i looked into it and it is another possible option for my setup
The T28 doesn't even have as much airflow potential as an Evo III 16G, let alone the Sleeper 16G / Bastard 20G (which is a 16G with a 20G compressor wheel).

Not that guys can't make cars with T28's go fast, but there are more than a few that upgraded to an Evo III 16G from a T28 and were rewarded with a noticeable increase in airflow.

Your deciding what turbo to get based on 1 event.
Why don't you get what will make you happy the other 364 days of the year?

I had a 16g and then got the FP green.
Those two turbos aren't in the same class powerwise.

I had a 16g and then got the FP green.
Those two turbos aren't in the same class powerwise.
You're right, but the OP was comparing the Sleeper 16G / Bastard 20G to the FP Green which are a little closer in terms of airflow than a plain 16G and the FP Green.

I was the one that told him to look at the FP green over the sleep 16g. Because his big 16g is perfectly fine very little shaft play and wants to spend 1200 dollars on a sleeper 16g thinking he is going to get TONS OF MORE POWER then he already could get out of his turbo now. and I said the exact same thing about what about the other 364 days of the year? and I also told him it doesn't matter if you fool someone into thinking you have a reg 16g over a sleeper if they have something like a 35R!

plus wouldn't you rather spend the same amount of money and get more power for your buck?
He got his gsx not too long ago and people running the stock appearing class have been running that class for a while and I don't think just a sleeper 16g is going to put him over everyone else whos been doing this for years and years.

keep up the good advice and friendly help tho guys!
GL

Because his big 16g is perfectly fine very little shaft play and wants to spend 1200 dollars on a sleeper 16g thinking he is going to get TONS OF MORE POWER then he already could get out of his turbo now.
GL
That's ridiculous to spend that much on another turbo that's not much bigger than what he has. Does he know that any reputable turbo shop can install a 20G compressor wheel in his current 16G turbo, essentially giving him a Sleeper 16G / Bastard 20G for alot less than $1200?

first off i didnt say i thought i was gonna get tons more horsepower out of it thanks for shoving words in my mouth again to make me look like the complete dumbass thanks alot

I didn't mean to come across that way or mean to make you sound that way at all ZiggoGSX and for the record and everyone else those were not his exact words. I was just emphisizing on the power to money spent ratio and miss worded you. I aplogize for doing so.

I was in a bad mood but thats no excuse. my bad no hard feelings.

p.s. don't forget about your avatar.

keep up the advice there is never to much opinions or advice in my mind.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back