The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Found my oil leak. What could it be

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96Formula6spd

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2009
Greenville, South_Carolina
Hey guys so yesterday I finally found my oil leak. Bad news is its now leaving softball or bigger oil spills in the driveway or anywhere I park it. It seems to be coming from the front on the egnine near all of the sensors and oil filter housing. Is there a gasket for this or could it be something else. I am going to take it to a trusted mechanic since I have exams this week and do not have the time to fix my car so I can go to school. Plus its getting a lot worse. I was told to put in some lucas stop leak from friends and my mechanic since both say it can help stop it. It seems to do it some good for a while then the leak comes back. Any ideas on what is leaking?

Sounds like front gasket on the oil pump, which requires a timing belt job, and removal of the pump. I did mine when the engine, and did the bse.

Only things i can think of are the Oil pump gasket, or the valve cover gasket near the Cam seals or also your oil filter housing, those seem to always leak.

I wouldn't use a Lucas oil treatment; I don't trust oil additives.

If it's coming out of the timing belt cover, it could OFH gasket, front crank seal, or cam seals. For any of those jobs, it would be like doing a timing belt plus a few minutes.

really funny question... did you recently change your oil filter? and if so... did you make sure the gasket from the old filter came off with the old filter? i've heard lots of stories where people change their oil filter but the old gasket is still stuck to the housing and so the new filter doesn't seal. -shrugs-

really funny question... did you recently change your oil filter? and if so... did you make sure the gasket from the old filter came off with the old filter? i've heard lots of stories where people change their oil filter but the old gasket is still stuck to the housing and so the new filter doesn't seal. -shrugs-

No I did not change it. I just made sure it was not loose.

Looks like I get to spend more money on this car. I am ready to trade up rather than fix this car every 1000 miles.

Front mains aren't that all hard to change out, for I did two of them along with cam seals, but on 4G37 1.8L motors, thus figuring that the 4G63 front seal isn't much different. Just that all of the belt and sprocket stuff has to come out so you can get to that seal.

BUT .... better get it changed pronto for the teflon that the seal is made of has dried out and turned rock hard, which will cut a microgroove in the crank and almost any new seal will not seal that leak completely with that groove cut ..

96Formula6spd, I've had dsm's since 1991, and I live in Greenville, SC. I work on my own car, and used to be a dealership mechanic. If you'd like me to look at it, I can.

96Formula6spd, I've had dsm's since 1991, and I live in Greenville, SC. I work on my own car, and used to be a dealership mechanic. If you'd like me to look at it, I can.

Car is in columbia at the moment. I have a good buddy that opened up a repair shop a few months ago. Its heading that way tomorrow.

Wait is it coming from the front of the engine bay, or the motor itself on the side of the crank pulley?

Well turned out to be the oil pump seal. Would explain the low oil pressure. Day I took it to the shop it left a puddle of oil the size of 2.5 paper plates.

Glad you found it had a buddy that let it go. I guess a rebuild was cheaper

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back