The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G found metal in oil pan dont know what it from

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangedsm95

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2010
detroit-area, Michigan
I drop my oil pan yesterday to pop out the dent from what looks like someone driving over a curb or something at some point. But when i got the pan off to my surprise there were some pretty large metal pieces sitting in the pan. When i parked the car it ran fine no knocking or pinging. Well the lifters tick when you start it but that was it. Im not sure where they came from. I couldnt see anything that looked abnormal. Man i hope its not something major. Anyone have any idea what they might be??

Attachments

• 20130719_004050.jpg
    20130719_004050.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20130719_003525.jpg
    20130719_003525.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 207
Also kind of looks like a magnet surface from a magnetized oil drain plug. Is any of it magnetized?

Beyond that, it looks like the internals of a turbo. Does your show any damage?

The oil drain plug or anything else isn't magnetized to my knowledge. The car doesn't have the t25 anymore i have a small 16g on there but i know the owner previous to me had the t25 rebuilt so that maybe left over parts from when the turbo blew on him. Im gonna inspect my turbo and see if there looks like any damage. Thanks for the info guys much appreciated

I looked at the turbo and theres i good amount of up and down shaft play not really any in and out though. Maybe that could be what the metal came from idk. Any more input would be greatly appreciated..

Metal that big, means you must have little bits through out the oil galleries of your engine. I would inspect the oil filter housing to begin with as well.

Good luck

Looks like those pieces been sitting in that oil pan for a long time because it's very rare we drop our oil pans.

Dropped my pan last night and same exact pieces were found I had weird half circles and goldish pieces, It’s the turbo, When I was cleaning out the trunk I found a messed up turbine so makes sense last owner blew the turbo, Check your oil return and feed I checked mine and found some stuck pieces my engine sounds good thoe

You realize this thread is from 5 years ago. Just checking.

Also, your engine may sound good, but if you have any kinda of metal shavings going through the engine your bound to have to do a rebuild soon. At minimum I would suggest removing the head and taking it to a machine shop to have cleaned. The pickup tube and subsequent filter will block the big stuff ... but not the little stuff.

You realize this thread is from 5 years ago. Just checking.

Also, your engine may sound good, but if you have any kinda of metal shavings going through the engine your bound to have to do a rebuild soon. At minimum I would suggest removing the head and taking it to a machine shop to have cleaned. The pickup tube and subsequent filter will block the big stuff ... but not the little stuff.

Ok, Yeah the previous guy had already done a new head It was Installed after the turbo blew, what I did was took off the oil pickup cleaned it and ran the car for about 10min idling with some cheap oil and with a magnetic oil filter, than I drained it and filled it with 10w30 RP and seems to be running fine, car is also stuck in limp mode it’s a auto GSX probably tcu

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back