The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

"Fixed" Trans - fluid really sparkly after several flushes. Scrap it? F5M22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared_gibbs

10+ Year Contributor
113
2
Jun 16, 2010
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Car: 93 eclipse, 1.8L 5-speed manual *green home-mechanic*

My brother frankensteined a transmission together. We drained the fluid after just a couple of miles, and it looks awful. I've flushed it several times now, and it's still got a lot of metal sparkles in it.

I bought this trans on ebay, and when it got here we noticed the bell housing was cracked. My brother told me he could put the two together to come up with a new trans, however neglected to inform me that it would only last a little while.

This really sucks. I thought I was saving a little money by not having a transmission shop rebuild it, but so far I've spent over $500 and it looks like it was all for nothing. Should I junk it?

Will an F5m33 bolt up to the 4g37? I've heard the f5m22's bolt up to the 4g63, but I don't know if it works the other way around. Would this be a good way to go? I'm really running out of cash, and this car has already received WAY more love than it deserves. I've come along way with this one, and don't want to stop at the trans.

Thanks for any replies, I really appreciate the help. :D
 
The reverse is pretty tought to find, but my bro says it'll break in. Other than that it seems to shift pretty good. I can't seem to find any 1.8's around here at pick a parts, but I'm sure one will show up. There's a couple F5M33's on craglist, and I'd probably go with one of those if it'll work. My assumption is that they would be stronger and more difficult for my little 1.8 to chew up. I just don't have much more cash to throw at this one. Sucks, because I've really cleaned it up and it looks/drives great other than that. Funny thing is that I bought a rough looking auto N/A laser off Craig's for $800 expecting it to be my backup car, and it's become my DD!

Still not sure whether I want to keeping working on this trans or if it's a lost cause.
 
Prob a F5M33 won't bolt up too well to a 4G37 due to the larger and stronger clutch plates and flywheel.

Gee, come on over here to the Nampa area - I know of one yard near by that has a good half dozen F5M22 trannies that can be had (you pull them) from expired DSM's for $125.00 apiece.
 
Cool, I might just have to go up there and pick one out! This car is just a backup, do you guys think that rebuilding the trans is a feasible task for a newbie? It sounds like it's pretty tough, but I do have time as an advantage.

I'm looking for the most reliable option that I can pull off myself with say a $400 budget, and weeks worth of time.

Keep working with the current one?
Buy one from a pick a part?
Rebuild it myself?

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
 
do you guys think that rebuilding the trans is a feasible task for a newbie? It sounds like it's pretty tough, but I do have time as an advantage.
Got pullers and a bench press?

EDIT: in that same yard, another 1.8l with the F5M22 tranny showed up the other day .. along with this 1991 TSi - Turbo FWD:
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top