The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

ECUflash First Flashed DSM ECU! (98/99 Flashing FAQ)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the obdI ECM in my camaro didn't either and no one thought it could be done 10 years ago and at the time the only thing to do was take the prom out and flash it.
Then moates and other people came along and plugged in flash chips you can read/write on the fly while driving.
It's 10x harder to bring an obd1 ECM up to this kind of tech, then it is an OBDII.

Again with the 97-98 I say hasn't been done yet but it's not impossible...

Again with the 97-98 I say hasn't been done yet but it's not impossible...

Your talking off topic and to somebody who has build this sort of stuff before.
It's not impossible just not cost effective.

Can we get back to dissecting the H8 code. It's more interesting. :ohdamn:

You don't need the full adapter set, if you look on the site you can see that two of the adapters are for Subarus. Pick up the cable and the Mitsu adapter, though I'm not sure if the Mitsu adapter is really needed or not.

As to the other question, have you looked through ECUFlash's site and the forum section on Evolutionm?

Answer please ^^^

And how is the procedure of reading/flashing the ECU ???

all you should need is the openport 2.0 adapter and the Mitsubishi flash adapter, unless you feel the need to flash a subaru or two. just be careful you could go to jail for indecent exposure ..:p

flashing with ecu flash is easy plug in the op2.0 and turn the ignition on. click on the icon with the blue arrow first to read the ecu. after your done you can turn the ignition off. always save a copy of your stock rom just in case... close that rom in ecu flash and open your modified rom. plug in the flash connector from the op2.0 adapter to the flash plug next to your OBD2 port, turn the ignition on and click on the icon with the red arrow, that will write the new rom to the ecu..... turn ignition off.... easy stuff. takes anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes on an evo ecu depending on how much is modified..

OK, I have a question. The flash adapter, how many wires are in it, and where do they go. I know since I have a 95 I need to pin a wire to the ECU, I foget the pin location but have it in my notes. Is that all that's in the flash adapter? Is the openport cable able to flash without the adapter, by that I mean; is there already a flash lead in the openport connector and the reason we need to use the adapter is because the DSM has a seperate connector for flashing?

I'm asking because I'd rather just pin the wire into the OBDII port instead of trying to track down a flashport. I hope that sounded coherant, I'm really tired right now.

OK, I have a question. The flash adapter, how many wires are in it, and where do they go. I know since I have a 95 I need to pin a wire to the ECU, I foget the pin location but have it in my notes. Is that all that's in the flash adapter? Is the openport cable able to flash without the adapter, by that I mean; is there already a flash lead in the openport connector and the reason we need to use the adapter is because the DSM has a seperate connector for flashing?

I'm asking because I'd rather just pin the wire into the OBDII port instead of trying to track down a flashport. I hope that sounded coherant, I'm really tired right now.

Yes FlashPort is just one wire. You will need to add a pin to your ecu harness at pin 79.
I added a wire with a 2.5mm audio plug. It plugs right in to the OP 2.0.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's what I thought. Should be getting my stuff next week, so I'm trying to plan things out a bit.

So, on the Tactrix adapter is the 2.5mm port the only flash output, or is there also a pin in the OBDII part? I'd like to wire the flashport into the OBDII connector on the car is what I'm getting at.

The OP 2.0 must be plugged into the OBD2 port. And pin 79 must be wired to the 2.5mm plug on the OP 2.0 cable.

I don't think there is a easy way to wire everything into the OBD2 port.

AFAIK 98-99 turbo cars and all 2g NT cars (4g64 spyders not included I have no idea what they have). The NT cars are only useful for stealing the harness. At this point I'm just stuffing a wire from that pin into the connector on my cable.

The 98-99 NT 4g64 spyder ecu has a black case just like the 98-99 GST/GSX ecu. I don't know what chip or processor it has though, I do have my original NT 4g64 99' ecu that i used before I switched to the 99 GSX ecu before I switched to a 95' eprom :p.

I'll take the case off the 99 NT spyder ecu and compare it to my 99 GSX ecu next time I'm home. I do recall that the md number is a digit off of the GSX ecu MD359405 i believe.

I know the NT spyder ecu does not have a resistor for the knock sensor circuit (from what I remember of the case off) so most likely it wouldn't be a good swap option. Probably still flashable though...

AFAIK 98-99 turbo cars and all 2g NT cars (4g64 spyders not included I have no idea what they have). The NT cars are only useful for stealing the harness. At this point I'm just stuffing a wire from that pin into the connector on my cable.

which DSM's have the flash port ???
or we all must wire pin 79 to the OpenPort?

sorry for making a lot of question but this is a FAQ thread

i am willing to bet that you should be able to pull the flash port out of any Mitsubishi that can be flashed ... 98 and newer, gallant, eclipse, lancer. etc. etc. after all that flash connector is he same one they use for the EVO's.

DTCs are weird with Tectrix 1.3 and EvoScan 2.5 too. I couldn't log 15 out of 20 DSMs, none of 3000GTs, 2 Galants, Chrysler 300C and bunch of other cars. Either the cable is wrong, or OBD2 stuff is real beta...

Pocketloggers worked just fine though...

Ceddy,
What changes have you made to your MD346675 rom and reflashed back to your ecu?
and are you happy with the results?
I pulled the rom out of my 98 awd = MD346676

I also have a couple of evo 5 rom files I have browsed.

Has anyone else been flashing the 98/99 H8 ecu?

Ceddy,
What changes have you made to your MD346675 rom and reflashed back to your ecu?
and are you happy with the results?
I pulled the rom out of my 98 awd = MD346676

I also have a couple of evo 5 rom files I have browsed.

Has anyone else been flashing the 98/99 H8 ecu?

So far I've put 1150cc injectors in, and they idle like stock 450s.
And I leaned out the fuel maps up top where they are super rich.
And I tried out full time open loop, which works great.

My 14 year old radiator decided to blow up. so I'm waiting on a new one.
FedEx should have it here by the weekend.

I haven't decided which maps to use yet.
I have 7.8:1 compression motor with a HX-35 at ~25 psi.
I was thinking about using the EVO6 Tommi Makinen or RalliArt maps, but haven't studied all the maps yet.

I should have more results next week:
I'll try out map axis rescaling.
MAF scaling.
And I should be able to hit fuel cut easily with the HX-35, so I can test fuel cut removal.

If anyone else has a flash image besides the EM2055-0011(98 GST), post it up.
It work be nice to see how the map selection works. And if the two sets of maps are FWD/AWD or California/Federal. We should be able to get a Map Selector Switch like the Evo guys have easily. (Different maps for 93 octane and race gas)

I posted a '99 USDM Federal GSX ROM (which identifies as EM2364, and carries part number MD359403) over here.

Cool, its a 23640004(Revision 4).

I'll try to get a basic definition started for it.

By the way, I'm not sure if this is of any interest to anyone here (probably just steve ;)), but I'm starting to collect relatively high-resolution photos of the PCBs from ECUs that I get my hands on or work with regularly; it's proving to be very helpful to be able to quickly visually reference a board against the associated datasheet.

So anyway, the pictures of my old '99 ECU that the ROM above are from are here and here.

Has anyone managed to spot any difference between revision C and D boards? The second largest chip might have a different serial, but it's unreadable on the board I have, other than that they seem to be equal.

Maybe someone have tried to cross flash AWD<->FWD ROMs or rev C <-> rev D ROMs?

Cross-flashing might cook the ECU, but if it doesn't, settling on latest '99 GSX ROM for all tuning needs would be great, that way we could concentrate our research on one ROM only.

As far as I understand from "Evo ECU in DSM" thread all Evo ROMs/boards are compatible.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back