The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECUflash 98 & 99 ECU Users Info Needed (Flashing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceddy

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2006
Reading, Pennsylvania
Hello, I'm trying to finish up a flash definition file for the 98 and 99 turbo ECUs.

I have a lot finished, but could use some real world info to see if my definition is correct.

I'm unsure of some. This is 98 and 99 turbo ECUs only.

First, Speed Limiter.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This shows the GST limit at 160 km/hr or 100 mph
And the GSX at 312 km/hr or 194 mph.

Has anyone with GST hit the Speed Limiter and was it at 100 mph?

Second, Boost Limit or Fuel Cut as we know it.

This shows Load which translates to lb/min:
RPM lb/min
3000 15.6
3500 17.4
4000 18.9
4500 19.7
5000 19.9
5500 21.2
6000 23.0
6500 24.1
7000 26.0

Anyone who hit Fuel Cut, does it match up with this table?
Do you remember your RPM and AirFlow?

The 98 and 99 ECUs look very promising, they have loads more processing power and memory then the earlier DSM ECUs. And adjustablity that reviles many stand alones.

If someone who is running 98 or 99 ECU could chime in and confirm if the above info is correct or incorrect it would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this program file will work like Evo ecu reflashes? This would be an great thing for 2gs!

I have a '99 GS-T. I have never taken it up to the speed limiter but I have definitely had it up over 100mph.

I don't know if I can give any useful info regarding fuel cut. But FWIW, I hit fuel cut several times when I had my T-25. It was spiking to 23psi.

I'm excited with your results so far. Great work.

The 98 and 99 ECUs look very promising, they have loads more processing power and memory then the earlier DSM ECUs. And adjustablity that reviles many stand alones.
Arn't it's tables very limited RPM and Load wise?

It seems that the load and RPM formulas are different for H8 than they are for Evo, but the ones that looked somewhat believable were only up to 9000 RPM and 180 Load if the formulas are correct. And maps are way smaller than Evo ones.

It's definitely better than SAFC, but will we be able to tweak some really high HPs with it?

I'm still a little busy, but I'm looking forward to fix the CAS issue, then I might test the OpenPort 2.0 and some things.

Attachments

• h8.JPG
    h8.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 485
  • h8_1.JPG
    h8_1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 481
By looking at the above pic of the timing map, you should be able to change the RPM's (left side); add 5500, 6500, basically remove the two 96xxx at the bottom and bump a couple down, adjust a couple of others for a smoother timing curve.

By looking at the above pic of the timing map, you should be able to change the RPM's (left side); add 5500, 6500, basically remove the two 91xxx at the bottom and bump a couple down, adjust a couple of others for a smoother timing curve.
Well, the axis are what they are in the ROMs, so I cannot do that.

Anyway, I just posted the images for a reference, to show that they are quite small, if you know how big the Evo maps are. I don't want to hijack this topic, I bet Ceddy has a fully working axis data already ;)

Arn't it's tables very limited RPM and Load wise?

It seems that the load and RPM formulas are different for H8 than they are for Evo, but the ones that looked somewhat believable were only up to 9000 RPM and 180 Load if the formulas are correct. And maps are way smaller than Evo ones.

It's definitely better than SAFC, but will we be able to tweak some really high HPs with it?

I'm still a little busy, but I'm looking forward to fix the CAS issue, then I might test the OpenPort 2.0 and some things.

The tables Load and RPM can be Rescaled.
The max load is 380, at 7500 rpm this equals 66 lb/min, thats about 650 HP.
You will reach the MAFs limit before the ECUs.

I have a '99 GS-T. I have never taken it up to the speed limiter but I have definitely had it up over 100mph.

I don't know if I can give any useful info regarding fuel cut. But FWIW, I hit fuel cut several times when I had my T-25. It was spiking to 23psi.

I'm excited with your results so far. Great work.

Thanks for the info. The SpeedLimiter is probably defined incorrectly then.

Does anyone know what the 98-99 GST SpeedLimiter is set to?

Yep, according to "Road & Track" it is 130mph.

That's just differences between tire size.
The ECU has no idea what is the size of the tires on your car.

But 133/124 mph limit suggests that ECU could be operating in kilometers per hour, it's 215 km/h that way, 0xD7 hex.

Madman, tire sizes aren't the same on all of our cars. Many of us have non-stock wheels and tires. The ecu uses the stock tire size of 215/50R17 with a circumference of 79.98 inches to determine when you've reached the speed limiter, based on the same calibration as the speedometer.

Example: DSMer "A" runs 215/40R18 tires with a circumference of 77.81 inches
DSMer "B" runs 235/55R16 tires with a circumference of 82.21 inches.

When traveling at exactly 60mph, A's speedo reads 61.6 mph and B's reads 58.3 mph.

Both tire sizes are within the recommended 3% of the stock size.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Madman, tire sizes aren't the same on all of our cars. Many of us have non-stock wheels and tires. The ecu uses the stock tire size of 215/50R17 with a circumference of 79.98 inches to determine when you've reached the speed limiter, based on the same calibration as the speedometer.

Example: DSMer "A" runs 215/40R18 tires with a circumference of 77.81 inches
DSMer "B" runs 235/55R16 tires with a circumference of 82.21 inches.

When traveling at exactly 60mph, A's speedo reads 61.6 mph and B's reads 58.3 mph.

Both tire sizes are within the recommended 3% of the stock size.
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Does it matter that when i went 133 mph i was on stock tires & rims? Kinda blows that thoery out the water :hmm:

Thanks for everyones help. I think I found the correct address for the SpeedLimiter.

206 km/hr is about 129 mph, which would be the GST limit.
510 km/hr is 0xFF, the highest number the ecu can read, so no SpeedLimit for the GSX. (317 mph if you want to be technical.

I have no way to know if this address is correct until someone flashes a ecu and tests it out, or I get further into the disassembly and can confirm it.

Everyone arguing about tire size and a few mph difference, the ecu doesn't have high resolution when it comes to vehicle speed and won't even register 1-2 mph difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it matter that when i went 133 mph i was on stock tires & rims? Kinda blows that thoery out the water :hmm:

There's plenty of other reasons you might have seen 133 on the speedo. Inaccuracy of gauge interpretation, momentum of your acceleration, overinflated tires, tires swelling from stress... etc, most significantly as Ceddy stated -the inaccuracy of the factory equipment.

I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe you did hit 133 and maybe still 133 is even the actual governing point on your car. I'm just citing the reasons why so many people are reporting a different max speed. So long as Ceddy has the right address, none of our bickering over a few mph really matters.

There's plenty of other reasons you might have seen 133 on the speedo. Inaccuracy of gauge interpretation, momentum of your acceleration, overinflated tires, tires swelling from stress... etc, most significantly as Ceddy stated -the inaccuracy of the factory equipment.

The speedo wouldn't know you have bigger tires, so it wouldn't read any different even if you were going faster because of it. Also, speedos often seem to read 1-2 MPH faster than you're actually going; the ECU may read right on, but the gauge shows a bit faster.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back