The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECUflash First Flashed DSM ECU! (98/99 Flashing FAQ)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone managed to spot any difference between revision C and D boards? The second largest chip might have a different serial, but it's unreadable on the board I have, other than that they seem to be equal.

Maybe someone have tried to cross flash AWD<->FWD ROMs or rev C <-> rev D ROMs?

Cross-flashing might cook the ECU, but if it doesn't, settling on latest '99 GSX ROM for all tuning needs would be great, that way we could concentrate our research on one ROM only.

As far as I understand from "Evo ECU in DSM" thread all Evo ROMs/boards are compatible.

This is really something that should be done. Right from the get go, make it as easy for yourself and everyone else by using as few ROMs as possible. The Evo guys are just now starting to try this after who knows how many years and 7 or 8 different ROMs that always need to be patched for new updates.

So these ones I have are all good for this?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Click to see full size.

Yep! But can you please open them up and post a pictures of circuit boards.

I believe they both will be revision C boards. The same ones Ceddy have a working definition for, on the first page.

If you could find a difference on those boards, or if you couldn't, that would tell us a little bit more about AWD<->FWD compatibility.

Also original ROMs from both of these would be great, you can download them with OpenPort 1.3 and OpenPort 2.0, but write back with OpenPort 2.0 only.

This is really something that should be done. Right from the get go, make it as easy for yourself and everyone else by using as few ROMs as possible. The Evo guys are just now starting to try this after who knows how many years and 7 or 8 different ROMs that always need to be patched for new updates.

It really only became possible recently. For the Evo guys they have to deal with the fact that their cars differ significantly from year to year and market to market. Ours are pretty much similar across the board (USDM at least).

There are two types of incompatibilities.

One is when you have different sensors on different cars, and one is when you have different ECUs that won't accept other ROMs, only those which it was designed for.

We know that Evo ECUs have no problems with another ROM, even if it's made for something else with different sensor set in mind.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the JDM Eclipses have flashable ROMs. My car is 96 and it has completely weirdo socketed EPROM from factory, and it has no emission related equipment, has unheated O2s, and no emission related CELs, that is a factory setup.

It would be interesting to see what JDM 98/99 ECUs have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that Eclipse != JDM. The EDM and South American DSMs were the only ones to head outside of the continent new AFAIK.

I'm driving a JDM, everything is written in Japanese, timing belt changes, instruments are in kilometers, turn signals are yellow, ABS warnings are written with hieroglyphs.

These are the DTCs I get when I swap to a USDM ECU:

Updated: 18:06:48
6 Diagnostic Trouble Codes Found:
----------------------------------------------
P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1.
P0141 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2.
P1400 Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor circuit.
P0443 EVAP System Purge Control Valve circuit.
P0446 EVAP System Vent Control.
P0403 EGR Solenoid.

They are all because of missing equipment, or wiring and so on.

The JDM ECU I have is: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/307384-injector-plug-swap.html#post151605331

But there are 98/99 JDM cars out there too. And I think they don't have emission related stuff as well. I wonder what ECUs they have.

ECU with those DTCs pre-disabled would be pretty neat.

Adding a Flash Connector to a 95-97:

On 95-97s you must add a pin at position 78 of your ECU Harness.
This must be connected to the 2.5mm phono plug on your OpenPort 2.0 cable.
It must be connected to the tip of your phono plug.

I thought pin 78 was the knock sensor. My notes, forgot where I got them from, say its pin 79 that's the flashport pin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought pin 78 was the knock sensor. My notes, forgot where I got them from, say its pin 79 that's the flashport pin.

Yeah you are correct. Sorry about that.

Ceddy,
Did you get a chance to look over the em2056.bin?

It wouldnt let me upload the rom to dsmtuners

I can send it out to others if they want to compare it to EM2055, etc...

Red

Ceddy,
Did you get a chance to look over the em2056.bin?

It wouldnt let me upload the rom to dsmtuners

I can send it out to others if they want to compare it to EM2055, etc...

Red

Yes, it has the same map addresses as the 2055, but the map axises addresses are different.
I also confirmed the Speed Limiter in the periphery bits is correct, the GST has it enabled and the GSX doesn't.

I'll try to upload the ROMs I have tonight, got 98 GST/GSX, 99 GSX. Still need a 99 GST.

The flash routines look the same in all the ROMs I have, I think cross flashing will work, without bricking the ecu.

That was me over on EvoM. ;)

The only thing changed in the XML for EM2384 was changing the memory model from H8539F to H8539FA; the definition is still nothing more than a <romid> stub, though. The substantial changes were all to Evo V+ definitions. Here's the full changelog:

EcuFlash ChangeLog said:
2009-06-27: Version 1.42 released

EcuFlash Related Changes
  • support for flashing H8/539FA processor (e.g. Evo 6.5) via new H8539FA memory model
  • add many generic memory models to allow support for arbitrary ROMs from ECUs that EcuFlash has no flashing support for. these are named Generic1K, Generic2K, ... up to Generic2048K, including all powers of 2, plus many other common sizes.
  • fix programming voltage warning errors in Subaru HC16 kernels
  • actively pull up OBD pin 9 when communicating with HC16 Subarus to avoid reflash mode initialization problems on some EDM models
  • add some retries to kernel reads, instead of failing
  • allow unique ID data in Subaru CAN ROM protected area to be different without requiring this area to be reflashed (which is not allowed). this allows ROMs of the same version to be shared amongst users without refusal-to-flash errors.
  • fixed error that limited data type to 4 bytes in size (doubles and bloblists can be bigger)
  • fixed bug in Subaru K-line reflashing that did not initialize the parity mode of the vehicle interface, causing errors if the interface had previously been used with odd or even parity
J2534 DLL Related Changes
  • (no changes other than new firmware payload)
Firmware Related Changes
  • fix bug which can cause CAN receive buffer overruns during large ISO15765 transfers
  • fix bug where resting voltage of adjustable power supply can be low enough to trigger undervoltage protection of voltage multiplexer IC
  • increase maximum allowable ISO9141 baud rate to be 125000 baud

OK, put my 98 ECU in today. I swapped the coil and injector pins at the harness, and added the flashpin too. I had one isolated incidence of the dreaded low load/rpm knock in the 20+ range, but only for a second and only once.

One thing I noticed though, I did an ecu read using the 96-99 EVO selection since it was the closest thing to our cars, and the load and rpm values on the axis were all gibberish. I'm very new to this software and type of thing in general, so any help is appreciated.

Oh, and for those people who need a pin for the flashport, and don't have automatics, the cruise control computer is in the passenger's side kick panel. The module uses the same pins as the ecu does, and I found that there are two suitable pins for removal, one is red w/yellow stripe - pin 10, and the other is red w/white stripe pin 11. They're only used for automatics, but the wires are still there on manual cars.

OK, put my 98 ECU in today. I swapped the coil and injector pins at the harness, and added the flashpin too. I had one isolated incidence of the dreaded low load/rpm knock in the 20+ range, but only for a second and only once.
Is your car smooth @ 2500-3000 RPMs, clutch in, or does it vibrate? Which pins did you swapped?

Are you running are 95 CAS?

If you check ECU Internal ID#1 it will tell you your ROM version.
My DEF is for the 20550011, if yours doesn't match the axises will be off and read gibberish.

If you end up getting the P300 Random Misfire CEL, it can be turned off in the Periphery Bits.

One thing I noticed though, I did an ecu read using the 96-99 EVO selection since it was the closest thing to our cars, and the load and rpm values on the axis were all gibberish. I'm very new to this software and type of thing in general, so any help is appreciated.

Oh, and for those people who need a pin for the flashport, and don't have automatics, the cruise control computer is above the passenger's side kick panel. The module uses the same pins as the ecu does, and I found that there are two suitable pins for removal, one is red w/black stripe and the other is red w/blue stripe I believe. Their positions are 10 and 11 if I recall, and they're only used for automatics, but the wires are still there on manual cars.

Is your car smooth @ 2500-3000 RPMs, clutch in, or does it vibrate? Which pins did you swapped?

Warmed up and not in gear there is no vibration. Cold and in gear there is minor vibration, but no knock.

I swapped pins 1, 2, 14, and 15 for the injectors per RRE's CAS swap tutorial. For the coils I swapped pins 10 and 23.

I may just swap to a 1g or 2gb CAS if that will make everything dreamy.

On a side note I noticed that I'm maxing out my PTE 680s now, DC of 82 @ 5000rpms in 2nd gear. Something else to put on the to buy list.

Went to the car en checked the cruise control module
Since i will need the pin for the flash port

Pin 10 Yellow/Red
Pin 11 Blue/Red

I will use pin 10 since is the same size as pin 79 in the ECU harness

No no no, you're counting in the wrong direction, you're looking at pins 3 and 4. Pin 3 is also only used on automatics, but as you said the pin is the wrong size. Pin 4 goes to the TPS. Count in the opposite direction and you see pins 10 and 11 as red w/yellow stripe and red w/white stripe respectively.

Edit: Updated original post with correct wire colors.

Well i used as reference the Cruise Module itself

The upper row has a 13 in the lower 26, circled it but i don't know if you can notice

Do you have the diagram for this module ?
PM it to me or post it if you can

Yes, the module is correct, the side with the 6 big pins is where you start the count from, with pin 1 being the upper left. Now if you look at the second pic of the connector that you posted you will notice that the left side has only 4 big pins, which is to say that the upper left pin is pin 13 in that particular pic.

If someone wants to see axes with other ROMs you can try to adjust the axis addresses like so:

Target ROM Reference Offset
20560010 = 20550011 +0x920
23640004 = 20550011 -0x8A0

The 23640004 will most likely go wrong somewhere, but it might work. You can use calculator in scientific mode to get the new addresses by subtracting or adding to ones from the 20550011 definition.

If someone wants to see axes with other ROMs you can try to adjust the axis addresses like so:

Target ROM Reference Offset
20560010 = 20550011 +0x920
23640004 = 20550011 -0x8A0

The 23640004 will most likely go wrong somewhere, but it might work. You can use calculator in scientific mode to get the new addresses by subtracting or adding to ones from the 20550011 definition.

Nice work.:thumb:

I have been making some good progress with the OBD2 code.
Hopefully I'll have a patch for the OBD2 Readiness and Completion Tests, soon.
For guys that have problems with Emissions.

There is also an OBD2 RequestId that gives airflow in Lbs/Min, be nice to add that to MUT, I don't think there is MUT RequestId that gives a normal airflow reading.

I have a black 2g ecu but the numbers are worn off so i can't read any of them.. How the hell do you open up these plastic ecus?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back