1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

ECUflash First Flashed DSM ECU! (98/99 Flashing FAQ)

Posted by Ceddy, Jun 10, 2009

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    campabello, South Carolina
    Its, from 2.4l spyder non-turbo. 98 model on the hood, and vin said 98 I think? Forgot to check the door jam.

The cam sensor doesn't control spark though, just injector timing so what does firing order have to do with our inverted cam sensor?

1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  2. ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet Proven Member

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    Crown Point, Indiana
    Like I said, I was confused on the plug swapping thing, and still am since I apparently didn't need it.

Since you got an ecu from a non turbo you have to fix the fuel pump issue.

"98-99 Spyder Ecus are compatible Flash wise.
    The only hardware difference with the Spyder Ecus, is the Fuel Pump Pin.
    The Spyders output +5v to turn on the Fuel Pump Module.
    While the DSM pull +12v to ground to turn on the Fuel Pump Relay."

H8 ECUs « ceddy.us

These are the part numbers:
    ('99)
    2.0L Normally Aspirated auto trans - 05269834AK
    2.0L Normally Aspirated manual trans - 05269833AK
    2.0L AWD Turbocharged - MD359403
    2.0L FWD Turbocharged - MD359402
    2.4L SOHC w/Calif ECS - MD359404
    2.4L SOHC w/o Calif ECS - MD359405

I don't know how you get it to work, I am sure it cant be that hard, but it might be easier to just get a turbo ECU, just depends on what you have available around you, or if you are up for the challenge.

3. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    So your saying in plug and play the fuel pump won't turn on? My pump is, rewired using a, relay back where the pump is. I can't remember how exactly I did all the wires to it but I can post a pic later. But my relay is now behind my passenger rear plastic siding and fuse is under the hood just before the battery.

So what your saying is the nt ecu outputs a 5v signal to the fuel pump relay? And turbo model ecu outputs 12v to the, relay? If I still had alldata this would be, easier LOL.

Trying to understand how your saying they both work. If I can understand correctly I can most deffinately come up with a solution no problem.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  4. ed1380

ed1380 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 29, 2007
    ATL, Georgia
    You'll need a 5v relay and to change a few wires

1K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  5. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    Oh I forgot ditch, I've already fixed the inverted cam sensor problem with my car. Just hit me. I did the this to use evo 8 cams in my car. I can post pix if your interested in this. you dont need a 1g cas.. You just have to change the position of the cam sensor timing plate. I've done this and my car runs perfect.
    (Edit:^i may be looking at this part wrong let me think about it)

So only i'd need to address would be the fuel pump issue. Which the way mine is wired may or may not be a, problem. Even if it was it, would be a, simple fix. I could just wire,it to one of the switches on my console which would give me a killswitch(on/off) for my fuel.

So essentially, it would be nothing for me to use it in my car.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  6. ditchmagnet

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    Crown Point, Indiana
    Maybe this will help you:

Show Posts - ceddy

I am interested in what you did so you didn't have to use the 1g cas though. If my 1g cas ever goes out, it would be nice to just eliminate it.

7. ed1380

ed1380 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 29, 2007
    ATL, Georgia
    I forgot to post this last night. I was worried about these differences.
    jTjLr.jpg

You can put a small relay inside the ecu and you wont have to worry about any external wiring. I have a spare spyder ecu and a micro relay laying around. I'll try it and see how it is.

1K  0

· 2G DSM
  8. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    Anyone ever notice the spyder actually has, an extra ecu plug in? Like its the far left or right plug for the ecu, there are two plugs in the harness for the, same port.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  9. ed1380

ed1380 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 29, 2007
    ATL, Georgia
    no. looks just like a turbo black box ecu

1K  0

· 2G DSM
  10. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    No I man in the harness not the ecu itself. There is, an extra harness plug. Ill take a pic next time I'm next to the spyder.

I know the ecu plugs are the same,as the turbo.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. ditchmagnet

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    Crown Point, Indiana
    I am curious, what do you have to do to fix those pin-outs since the non-turbo uses chassis ground? I assume you just make some ground wires to plug in there, and then switch out pin 92 on the harness to pin 82, then just remove in 13 and 91 on the harness?

12. ed1380

ed1380 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 29, 2007
    ATL, Georgia
    I'll check it before installing the ecu. just need to look at the wire color

1K  0

· 2G DSM
  13. ditchmagnet

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    Crown Point, Indiana
    I know there are a few write ups on converting a non-turbo to using a turbo ecu, but I haven't seen any actual guides for putting a spyder ECU in a turbo. When you are done MJcanada, you should make a guide.

14. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    I will.

I have to do both actually. Because I want to park the gst and winter project it and use the spyder for a daily. So have to put a turbo ecu in the, spyder.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  15. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    If you know where, they, are please link one of the write ups. It will aid me in both.

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  16. ditchmagnet

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    Crown Point, Indiana
  17. 97ebaygst

97ebaygst Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2009
    thomasville, North Carolina
    Has anyone had problem with code p0450 popping after flashing there car? trying to get the car to pass emissions and I've never had this code pop up till now. I had the p0446 come up but that was because i have a 97. I know it's a down low kinda thing but has anyone cracked it to just set readyness codes yet? it'll make life a lot easier for me being that i gotta pass it by tomorrow. pm me me if anyone is willing to help with that.

18. ed1380

ed1380 Supporting VIP

Joined Sep 29, 2007
    ATL, Georgia
    Any code that you don't want to pop up, scroll down to the binary bit sections and turn it off.

1K  0

· 2G DSM
  19. 97ebaygst

97ebaygst Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2009
    thomasville, North Carolina
    but will that allow it to pass emissions? i saw where i could turn it off, but i'm working on limited time to get it inspected.

20. MJcanada

MJcanada Proven Member

Joined Jun 25, 2011
    This is what i meant. Spyder n/t has two extra ecu plug ins.

Attached Files:

1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  21. FLASH1970

FLASH1970 Proven Member

Joined Aug 22, 2005
    Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
    Nobody has posted in this thread in a while... so, how are all the "flashers" doing? How are you guys tuning for cruising? Are you guys just turning off closed loop or setting the open loop threshold really low? Or are you guys using an output from the LC-1 to simulate the front O2 AFR which is basically the same as running openloop...?

FLASH1970

1K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  22. mebetter

mebetter Proven Member

Joined Jun 19, 2008
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Is there any particular issue you are having? Car running lean, rich, or surging?

23. FLASH1970

FLASH1970 Proven Member

Joined Aug 22, 2005
    Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
    No. The car is running ok. I'm just tuning for gas mileage right now and wanted to see how everyone else does it seeing that there's a few different ways and what the advantages/disadvantages are. Right now I just have closed loop turned off and have a leaner value in the cells between 30-80 load and 2-4k rpm in the high octane fuel maps.

FLASH1970

1K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  24. marcman804

marcman804 Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2005
    Cumberland, Virginia
    Im getting super frustrated with trying to get a tune with ecuflash. At first I was able to atleast get an idle tune. I come back a week later to try and set a base tune and now I keep getting the message "less than 5v". I tried multiple times and it still wouldnt connect, I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it and still no luck. Im not sure if it could be a ground or what but Im at the point where Im ready to scrap it and just go back to my chipped eprom ecu for now and then get link. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

843  16

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.434 @ 103.560 · 2G DSM
  25. ditchmagnet

Joined Jan 19, 2004
    Crown Point, Indiana
    Use a multimeter and check your voltage on the re-flash wire. Should be at about 12v when reading the ECU, but it wont sit at 12v constantly, though you should be getting something.