1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build First 2G street car

Year:
Model/Trim:
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    231 whp · 258 lb/ft · 2G DSM

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    A great day sitting at work on Memorial Day weekend. Did a lot of car homework on the 7 bolt motors. And pulled the trigger on a set of Feal 441's that I'm super stoked for and got a pretty good deal due to a MDW sale. Can't wait for those to come this week!

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    Another rainy day; so I did some light messing around with the car. Had an issue with the brake and tail lights going out when pressed and were intermittent. So did some good ground cleaning work and freshen'd up all the grounds I could find and it did the trick perfectly. Cleaned up the engine bay a little bit, and I'm just dreaming of a day when I can have a tucked engine bay. Still waiting on the Feal coilovers to get here and the new FMIC, then it will be time for some real fun. Good tip of the day, always freshen up your grounds! LOL

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    More parts showed up today and I'm super stoked to get this ETS kit on. Its in great shape with a nice powder coated ETS piping kit and a greddy BOV. It's a race kit 10.5 core so I know I'm in for a little modification of the bumper to get it to fit in there nice, but i think its going to be awesome. Hoping to get some wrench time in there tonight.

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    Took the bird for a nice drive today since the weather was right, got her cleaned up after and looking good, still can't get over how good this car looks sometimes.

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Esquire the Bold likes this.
  6. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    Did some work with a clay bar on the bird for the first time today and I gotta say that stuff is impressive and really can make your paint pop, was very easy after watching a couple detailing vids on youtube, was very happy with how it came out after the waxing.

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. DSM 99

DSM 99 Probationary Member

Joined Feb 23, 2008
    Los Angeles, California
    Very nice TSI. Post up when you get that intercooler setup installed. I am planning on getting the ETS short route in the near future

Street Build 383  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    12.9 @ 110 · 2G DSM
    jgio213 likes this.
  8. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    Yessir, that will be going on in a couple weeks. Made the dyno appointment, so its going on just before that.

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    DSM 99 likes this.
  9. Joakim

Joakim Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2014
    Kågeröd, Sweden, Europe
    Nice car! We didnt get any Eagle Talons to Sweden so ive never seen one in real life!

Street Build 328  3

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    jgio213 likes this.
  10. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    The Feals came in this week and I cant wait to see how the car sits with these on them. Not lowering the car to much. The installation went smooth until I ran into the passenger side sway bar end link from hell. Wasted over an hour working one bolt and this couldn't get it free. Luckily local auto parts store had one in stock for 25 bucks, so this stubborn end link is meeting with the cut off saw tonight. I''l post up some more pictures when they're all on and sitting pretty.

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  11. Joakim

Joakim Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2014
    Kågeröd, Sweden, Europe
    Looking forward to pics once you are ready with mounting and adjusting the coilovers!

Street Build 328  3

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    Finished the install of the Feals this morning and took the car out for a rip and they ride absolutely beautiful. Car feels so solid, and will be even better once I replace all the bushings to poly. Overall the install was pretty straight forward, they fit great and are easily adjustable. The worst part was running into a 21 year old end link that did not want to be removed. I've run into these before on my 1g and the best advice I can give people when you run into a stubborn one is just cut the bastard off with a dremmel and save yourself the trouble and heartache. You're going to end up mangling it with heat, wrenches and vise grips eventually, so save your time and sanity and take the 5 minutes to just cut it off. They're 25 bucks from autozone for replacements and mine were worn already anyways. I Did a couple rounds of fine tuning once it was on the ground to get the ride height where it needed to be. Its actually a little bit lower than I was anticipating in the rear, and makes a huge difference in the look of the car. The dampers were adjusted to -10 of the hard setting and its still a pretty comfy ride without to much roughness over bumps and stuff. So far no clearance issues or rubbing but I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days. Ended up blowing the turbo coolant line while test driving but luckily I have plenty of 10m tubing kicking around, and it decided to let go on my street... Theres always something to fix on these I swear.

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Ludachris likes this.
  13. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    New firewall tag came in today and it came out awesome, A simple and cheap piece of metal but I think it really helps complete the look of the engine bay. Anyone have tips on what kind of adhesive to use on these?

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Ludachris likes this.
  14. jgio213

jgio213 Proven Member

Joined Sep 27, 2017
    Ludlow, Massachusetts
    Been a busy couple weeks around here, haven't had a chance to update stuff but I got some good work done, and definitely did some serious shopping this week. About 2 weeks ago I pulled the entire interior out for a good deep cleaning and inspection. Found some nice solid floorboards below, pressure washed the carpets and then reinstalled. After that I hit the undercarriage with the POR kit because some areas of the undercoating have worn or rubbed off, So I POR 15'd under that and then added on their Rubberized undercoating on top of that. Luckily the only spot of rust I found were in the rear fenders where the drainplugs are. 1 small hole in each side thats going to the body shop for a proper repair. Luckily there was no extension.
    After all that was said and done I did a little shopping. The motor on my car is all stock and its a little worn and tired I'd say, and running 20 pounds on an old motor is just waiting for trouble. After doing some thinking, and comparing how much it cost me to build my 1G motor, I decided to search for a built longblock, and a stroke of luck and some help from the guys at performance partout led me to a great find. I found a fully built x-code split thrust block. Manely rods, CP pistons, ARP everything, literally every structural bolt is ARP its crazy, BSE kit. Kiggly street springs and retainers, brass guides, SS valves, Kiggly HLA, ARP headstuds, and cam bolts, HKS 272's. Great compression and leakdown, and I could not be happier, it's an absolute gem. So I got it all home safely and its on the stand waiting to go to the builder for install and tuning. Hoping to get the car there the first week of July. Lot more stuff coming up the next week, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Attached Files:

Street Build 466  6

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

538  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM