The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fired up the TIG for the first time this weekend...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Must say I was really intimidated. Laid down my first weld and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The second one was horrible, but at least I know what I did wrong.

Can't wait to go pick up a bunch of scrap and start practicing!

I really want my own tig welder so I can do more work on the side I'm jealous LOL

Bet he'll be too chickenshit to show his first attempts. Only when you get good do you show off. ;)

The Miller Diversion. Should do everything I need.

Diversion, that's the one with 165 amps right? Also I think it has the finger control instead of the pedal. I'd get it so you can be use to it so when you use a bigger machine it's not awkward.
BTW, Post up some pics of those first beads!

Diversion, that's the one with 165 amps right? Also I think it has the finger control instead of the pedal. I'd get it so you can be use to it so when you use a bigger machine it's not awkward.
BTW, Post up some pics of those first beads!
Yeah, it comes with the hand control, but I'll get the optional foot pedal at some point. Pretty cool machine for the price.

Yeah, it comes with the hand control, but I'll get the optional foot pedal at some point. Pretty cool machine for the price.

Yeah, I was actually looking at it for one point, tried it out too, but the one I went with was the synchrowave 200. I think the diversion is around 1k less.

So what did you end up welding?

Chris, if you want aluminum scrap (6061 mostly) you can have all of mine you want.

I have billet chunks, 10mm plate, 7mm plate, and some thinner sheet.

It's all bits and pieces.

Just bring a homer bucket to take it home in :D

Chris, if you want aluminum scrap (6061 mostly) you can have all of mine you want.

I have billet chunks, 10mm plate, 7mm plate, and some thinner sheet.

It's all bits and pieces.

Just bring a homer bucket to take it home in :D
Thanks Hal, I'll send you a note about it to set up a time.

I'm going with the Lincoln Electric TIG 225, the 39A input current at max is about the limit for my wall sockets. Dang, I'm jealous, got my CNC machine though:D

The 225 is a really good machine i use the 185 at my shop and it gets everything done and them some. Did you get the optional water cooler or are going to leave it air cooled?

Hey if you want i can send you a box full of coupons (small squares about 1 x 1 inch to weld together like you do when taking a cert test) I've got tons of aluminum ones let over in 5052 and 6061 that you can have.. finding good clean al that you know what alloy your working with is hard when you don't have a metal supplier you work with to ahve them shear you off a few hundred..

P<M me an address and i'll send you both 1/8th AL and 1.4 so you can practice your cleaning, cleaning , cleaning and then the actuall welding... In TIG especially the integity of the weld is ALL about surface prep (then a tad has to do with operator skill :D )

Anyway, glad to hear you've started the course.. now just stay it

The 225 is a really good machine i use the 185 at my shop and it gets everything done and them some. Did you get the optional water cooler or are going to leave it air cooled?

Um, was thinking of just aircooled for now. Haven't got it yet, still in the middle of rewiring my garage. Good to know about the reliability. Man, I can't wait to lay down some beads with it. Mostly I'm going to be welding prototype parts from aluminum, stuff coming off my CNC and then the typical DSM stuff or my own Subaru STi parts.

Watercooling sounds interesting, maybe for guys that do production work it would be of more benefit. There's always an upgrade for something:D

Um, was thinking of just aircooled for now. Haven't got it yet, still in the middle of rewiring my garage. Good to know about the reliability. Man, I can't wait to lay down some beads with it. Mostly I'm going to be welding prototype parts from aluminum, stuff coming off my CNC and then the typical DSM stuff or my own Subaru STi parts.

Watercooling sounds interesting, maybe for guys that do production work it would be of more benefit. There's always an upgrade for something:D

Water cooled is the way to go. Once you try it out, you'll love it. You'll also be able to weld for a longer period of time. If you don't go watercooled, Id suggest getting an additional torch so you can swap them around when they get hot.

Hey if you want i can send you a box full of coupons (small squares about 1 x 1 inch to weld together like you do when taking a cert test) I've got tons of aluminum ones let over in 5052 and 6061 that you can have.. finding good clean al that you know what alloy your working with is hard when you don't have a metal supplier you work with to ahve them shear you off a few hundred..

P<M me an address and i'll send you both 1/8th AL and 1.4 so you can practice your cleaning, cleaning , cleaning and then the actuall welding... In TIG especially the integity of the weld is ALL about surface prep (then a tad has to do with operator skill :D )

Anyway, glad to hear you've started the course.. now just stay it
Now that would be cool. PM me what you'd want for shipping Glenn.

It's been a month, Chris--where are the pics? :D

x2, Do you even use this thing? How do you like it? How thick metal/ alum can you weld? Did you end up getting the foot control instead of the finger knob? etc etc....

Good stuff Chris. I learned to tig at a previous job and was hooked after that, I bought a Synchrowave 200, haven't used it much yet since I ended up using the ones at work a bit. At my current job, I am one of the only guys that can tig very well, so I get pulled off of other projects when they need something tigged:p

x2, Do you even use this thing? How do you like it? How thick metal/ alum can you weld? Did you end up getting the foot control instead of the finger knob? etc etc....
I haven't fired it up since. I need a welding table and I had to sell off some parts to make that happen. I should be picking it up this week. I will be using the finger control for a while until funds improve. The unit is great for what I need (won't be welding anything over 1/8" thick). I need to pick up some scrap to practice with.

I'll be curious to see what you think of the fingertip control. Is it North/South or East/West? I've been thinking of picking one up to make it easier to weld out of position.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back