The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G FIAV block off, fixed high idle, now causing another idle issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misterflipster

Proven Member
Apr 5, 2020
sioux falls, South_Dakota
So yesterday i got the fiav blocked and now from a cold start i hold the throttle open and the car will eventually hold itself at 1k. However once i go to drive it and i put it under load, when i come off the gas it will die.

Other issue i have is that the car wont start after it warms up, im thinking its an alternator issue because it will run for some time and die on its own also. Dash lights flicker, i havent seen headlights flickering but yeah. I think its an alternator? My tuner suggested checking grounds (he believes the car might be relying on the chasis too much for ground??)

You can use ecmlink to check voltage with key on and no throttle. Should be set to .63V
Okay, i will try that. Although, i havent used ECMlink myself yet. I dont really know the 1st thing about it other than i can plug it into the computer LOL. Havent even downloaded the app yet.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I tried to connect, it says com1 SerOpenPort failed: port not valid

I just realized my TB doesn't have that stopper on it. This is a 6 bolt swapped 2g. I think the TB is a 2g TB?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized my TB doesnt have that stopper on it. This is a 6 bolt swapped 2g. I think the TB is a 2g TB?

Nah, thats not a 2G, the Ports on the top are facing towards the intake, vs towards the manifold. I use a 1G like the 1you have there.
You dont “need” the stopper for the close position switch, but you do need a 4 pin 2G tps position sensor, which has the tps switch in it.

Else - more magic in ecmlink tps configuration settings

Nah, thats not a 2G, the Ports on the top are facing towards the intake, vs towards the manifold. I use a 1G like the 1you have there.
You dont “need” the stopper for the close position switch, but you do need a 4 pin 2G tps position sensor, which has the tps switch in it.

Else - more magic in ecmlink tps configuration settings
This is the TPS correct??

and you should really try and find a retaining wire for that plug, so it will say on firmly
Will do, i tried to hook up to ECMlink, i got it going to a connected state, saved the datalogs and next is to try to idle the car and figure out if the TPS is "angled" at .63v, with the car off its at .55v but its too late to start the car as its too loud. It'll have to wait till the morning.

@Misterflipster heres a source for these I saved a while back.

Nice! Thank you 🙂

and you should really try and find a retaining wire for that plug, so it will stay on firmly

Okay sooooo, I got under the car and the alternator issue was that the cable was unplugged. The battery is now charging at 13.70 measured from the batt. The issue now is my high idle returned! Back to 2k with the FIAV blocked off.

Checked my connections, everything is solid. Checked the throttle cable and BISS, cable has enough slack, BISS is currently ALL the way screwed in and still high idle. (So i cracked it open a bit so throttle doesn't stick) any ideas?

Tuning issue now maybe? Any value in ECMlink I can change for the idle?

I’m late to the party, sorry if any of this has been answered previously.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks via a boost leak tester?
Did you get the cable for connecting to ECMlink?
Can you post a log of the idle?

I wonder if SD is even functioning properly with a MAP sensor looking like that.

I’m late to the party, sorry if any of this has been answered previously.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks via a boost leak tester?
Did you get the cable for connecting to ECMlink?
Can you post a log of the idle?

I wonder if SD is even functioning properly with a MAP sensor looking like that.
So i did smoke test it when i got it, right now i did have to take off a piece of the intercooler piping to access the alt. From under. But i know its tightened back. It didnt have a boost leak as far as im aware. I do have the cable for ECMlink but i am a complete noob with link. I was able to connect to link and do the proper downloads, i can connect to my ECU, and watched some previously posted vids on using link. Other than that, not sure how to log or which sensors TO log LOL. I dont think im fully set up on SD that im aware of?

New voltage! - re-check the TPS calibration, and ISC position and BISS calibration AFTER coolant temp is warmed up 180-190deg.
Ooof, thats a lot to internalize LOL coolant temp thing meaning operating temp? And for the TPS and ISC those are just values in ECMlink

In your picture you have two vacuum lines looped on the TB. Block those off instead. I can't remember, but one may be pre-throttle plate and one may be post-throttle plate.

Ultimately, with high idle, you are passing too much air past the throttle plate.

New voltage! - re-check the TPS calibration, and ISC position and BISS calibration AFTER coolant temp is warmed up 180-190deg.

Well the video didn't want to post, so here's a pic of the log

Also ISC was at 103 once I turned the car off...

Also isc was at 103 once i turned the car off...
Does your isc click several times when you turn the to the on position? You can also check the isc with a 6 volt camera battery to ensure the stepper motor is actually moving. Also your ecu is not looking for a maf sensor. Your data log shows 77 degrees. Unless this is a coincidence the ecu will lock at 77 degrees as a default if there is no input from a maf sensor.

Mine would say 77 if I logged maf intake temp. However I log gm iat with SD and it’s accurate. Check to see if your intake and baro are locked on ecm link. If you are running a maf you need to unlock it.

Also if my tuner rigged up a map sensor like that on my car it would be the last time he touched my car.

Why is the timing 39 at idle?

-Daniel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back