The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

fabrication ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenydsm

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2008
schuylkill haven, Pennsylvania
I'm currently in college to learn how to become a machinist. Working with metal during the work week and working on my dsm on the weekends has been giving me some ideas. I want to start making some custom parts for my car. I'd like to start on making my own solid motormounts. But after there i really dont know where to go...What are some ideas on some cool functional parts that i can make in my machine shop? I can mig and i'm currently learning how to tig. I have acess to any machine in the shop. Any ideas of things that i can make?

Last edited:
i already made a sheetmetal intake box, custom coil pack mounts, custom 3" v-band downpipe and dump tube..i will have to look into the Rear active toe eliminator...

does anyone have any sketches or anyone who has the Rear active toe eliminator can make some measurements for me?

Build a spellchecker... "machinest"??

hahahaha

As for the original poster there are many things that can be made. Ex.manifold.o2 housing.sheet metal intake. intake pipes. FMIC or SMIC pipes. custom mounting brackets for coil packs etc etc etc.down pipes. cat backs. headers for the NT cars. spark plug covers, solid motor mounts. rear toe eliminators, catch can, coolant over flow can. I've made my fair share of that list and still have others waiting to be made. But before you get to making these parts you really have to think them out and study the designs that are currently available. You can't just throw a couple of 45,90 and 2 flanges and expect to have a good tubular manifold. Let's see some pics of your current work to see were you stand.;)

If I had access to a machine shop again, I would make custom pulleys and accessory brackets.
Back when I was in school I made a lot of brake and suspension parts. Since these are readily available, though, I would go with the brackets. So
something rigid and adjustable, possibly allowing more downpipe room without having to eliminate the A/C compressor...

Make some adapter plates. Instead of alternator relocation kits, make like a plate that covers it, from the oncoming power steering shit, just another chromed piece would be nice to match my jmf heatshield and spark cover. Also make a heat shield for the turbo. Hmmm.. Solid mounts sound cool, I had them and it was hell for a DD, but i had no intention of DD-ing so my mistake. Ill think of more

imback- I will get pictures of my downpipe and my o2 dump when its complete..Plans changed and i have to get another exhaust manifold, I dont have the fab skills to try one of those yet, but maybe one day

bpestilence- i to want to make suspension parts, and about the ac compresser... it was gone a long time ago

EclipticalGS- i already have a alternator relocation kit.. i'm deffently making a sparkplug cover..and i'm deffently doing the front and rear motormounts solid

I really want to do stuff for the suspension, and anything i can make to get some of the weight off the front of the car. I have this car gutted and i really want to try to get some of the weight off the front.

what about solid bushings for the front of the car? What effect will that have?

Things that are already being drawn up...

-solid motormounts front and rear
-Rear active toe eliminator

any suggestions or comments are appreciated

williamson school of mechancial trades.. not that far from you actually.. the current name says "trades" but there changing the name of the school to williamson college or something along the lines of that...

anyway..i am looking at different ways to lighten up the front end... what are some things that i can do? i have almost everything gutted that i can. what else can i take out?

i already made a sheetmetal intake box, custom coil pack mounts, custom 3" v-band downpipe and dump tube..i will have to look into the Rear active toe eliminator...

does anyone have any sketches or anyone who has the Rear active toe eliminator can make some measurements for me?

Give underradar92 a PM on getting the info. He's got a little drawing made up for it.

anyway..i am looking at different ways to lighten up the front end... what are some things that i can do? i have almost everything gutted that i can. what else can i take out?

You can fab up some tubular control arms. I would only attempt that if you feel pretty confident in your skills. Someone sells them and I am sure you could copy them, but I don't know who.

I would suggest making front/rear aluminum bumper supports to get rid of the heavy stock ones.

Good to see another willy tech boy on here, 0w5 myself.
Sorry to hear about mike, real bummer.
Marty has that syncrowave 250 up there right? Thats a nice machine, you can do alot with it.
Be careful with aluminum bumper supports, they will not take any kind of collision, and the drivers in this area....

Good to see another willy tech boy on here, 0w5 myself.
Sorry to hear about mike, real bummer.
Marty has that syncrowave 250 up there right? Thats a nice machine, you can do alot with it.
Be careful with aluminum bumper supports, they will not take any kind of collision, and the drivers in this area....

0w5 nice! What shop were you in?

Yeah mike was a real big hit to us all..that next monday one of the junior wackpack got caught in a lathe..thank god it was on a slow rpm or he deffently would of been in alot of trouble.. And yeah that syncrowave is still up there along a nice miller mig to....This car is unlikely to see much street time.. i'm thinking about getting rid of the bumper supports completely.

I'd like to see a relocation bracket that uses a GM alternator. Tired of trying to find DSM alternators in the junkyard.

has anyone made a 3pt subframe brace for under the front end? Wheres the best place to get heim joints?

1) Heat shield for the FP Manifold
2) A 2G battery kit for a battery bigger than the PC680.

Make sure you check with Ludachris on becoming a vendor before you start taking orders/selling stuff so you don't violate any site rules.

i didnt take any orders? Sorry guys but i'm finishing my own car before i do stuff for other people.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back