The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 3 & 1g/2g part swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRippedNerd

Proven Member
May 1, 2021
Denver, Colorado
Forgive me if this has already been asked, I tried looking and don't see anything so here it is...can I use 1g/2g gsx/tsi parts on an EVO 3? I know you can swap EVO 3 parts on the 1g/2g dsm but can you reverse that and use the same performance parts for a 1g/2g on a 95 Evo 3? I'm looking for parts for Evo 3 and can't find much, any help would be wonderful 🙏

Turbo intake pipe (for cold air intake), intake manifold and tuning software options

Turbo intake pipe (for cold air intake), intake manifold and tuning software options
DSM intake pipe is not direct bolt-on due to different route.
2G intake manifold is direct bolt-on. But you can not attach the factory SAS valve, so it should be canceled. You can attach it by making a port but anyways you wouldn't probably need it.
And as for the tuning software, ECMLink for early EVO/RVR is probably the easiest way to get and use.

As above, the intake pipe is slightly different, but you might be able to make a DSM-style pipe work if you're deleting your MAF.
All 7-bolt intake manifolds interchange, but the Evo's is the best of the bunch.
ECUs are not interchangeable. ECMLink makes the "Lite" version for the Evo123, which is a relatively inexpensive and solid platform, but you'd probably be best served by going to a Link G4X for overall flexibility. It plugs in directly, no need to socket the stock ECU.

I appreciate the input, I guess what I'm asking is, can I buy parts for the Evo 3 that I can for a 1g/2g? Since the drivetrain (4g63t) is the same it only makes sense but I've only ever built Eclipse/Talons before, never an evo LOL this is all kind of new to me

You'll have to ask on a part-by-part basis, not everything carries over. The clutches are the same as 2G AWD DSMs. Most of the engine stuff is the same. Lots of things in the transmission are different, the transfer case is the same as some DSMs (depending on the year of both), the rear diff unit can be swapped into the stock case if you have the correct ratios. Suspension-wise, almost entirely different.

I guess my main concern is when ordering parts for the Evo 3 can I order using the option for "2G Eclipse". Ex: air intake system (the previous guy relocated the battery in the trunk so it looks like there's enough space), turbo manifold, intake manifold, fuel injectors, fuel pump, turbo and exhaust? Or will I have to look for "Evo 3" exclusively?

I wouldn't change the intake manifold, but direct-fit turbo manifolds like the FP Race cast manifold work, fuel pumps should be the same, injectors are the same as DSM, the DSM-style turbos bolt in. Exhaust is entirely Evo-specific, nothing from DSM works except for mayyyybe the o2 housing, but then you might run into issues with the downpipe angle.

I guess my main concern is when ordering parts for the Evo 3 can I order using the option for "2G Eclipse"?
As we already explained, it would depend what parts. Early EVO and DSM use the same parts but some are dedicated.
air intake system (the previous guy relocated the battery in the trunk so it looks like there's enough space)
If you have no battery in the stock location and have enough space, Yes you may be able to use a DSM intake pipe but you may need to extend the MAF harness, in case if you would be running a MAF sensor.
turbo manifold
Yes, you can use one for DSM.
intake manifold
Yes, you can use one for 2G head.
fuel injectors
Yes, you can use ones for DSM.
Yes, you can use one for 2G DSM or EVO 4-9.
Yes, you can use one for DSM.
No, you can't. It's different. As Candian_CD9A mentioned above that you may be able to use a DSM O2 housing since the angle is just slightly different, but no other parts.

Copy that! I appreciate the advice everyone! 🙏

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back