The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G ECT sensor causing no start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1cleanreddsm

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Alright guys, So I've done my research and read pages after pages and still no luck.

I've read the link below and followed step by step and I have concluded nothing.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...7951-how-diagnose-no-start.html#post152649702

Ok, So the car is an 91 eagle talon tsi awd, I decided to just change oil and oil filter one day and the car just died on me. Car is stock besides the 255 walbro.

I have compression across the board 170-180 all across..

I have fuel.. took rail off and watched it sprayed! messy.. fuel pressure 39ih

I have spark on all plug, took an extra plug and left it on the valve cover to see it spark. I bought new Spark plugs and properly gapped them.

And then there is the part about the ECT that causes a no start. So to eliminate any possiblities, I just bought a NEW Engine Coolant Temperture Sensor, and still no start. But the funny things is when I put boiling water in a cup and throw the sensor in with the housing obiviously closed, the car starts!!

SO the car starts with hot water but not room temperature/ cold water.. HELP??

any input on this topic? Thanks

Last edited:
might have gotten another bad sensor. when ECTS stops working the ecu see's the coolant temp as like -40 or something crazy like that.

^ this is true, the ecu will DUMP fuel into the engine and flood it out. Try disconnecting your MPI fuse and cranking it to unflood it. Were your old plugs soaked with fuel when you took them out?

Hmm.. I was thinking maybe its due to bad wiring connector. But since it does starts I just eliminated that possibility. The old plugs was running rich. A lot of black residue on the plugs. It even smelt like gasoline too. I thought that maybe it was due to the 255 Wally no afpr. I installed new plugs and properly gapped them too. Ill give that a shot, by disconnecting the MPI relay.. see if that's helps.. but i dont think that is going solve the problem?

By disconnecting the mpi fuse, all your doing is getting rid of excess fuel in the cylinders by cranking it.
And by no means am I saying that will solve your issue, its just to check to see if your car will start once theres no more flooding. Process of elimination, you know what Im saying?

I just tried it. Unplugged the mpi relay crank it a few times and plugged it back in and still not starting.. like I said if I drop the sensor in hot water it starts up fine.. before this it was running fine.. it does throw a few codes as well when running. TPS, baro-sensor, and ECT sensor.. I've tried switching them to spare ones. Still the check engine light comes on after maybe 30seconds after start up.

Last edited:
Ok, so the car starts now, I did not do anything, I have concluded that the ECT causes a no start, cooler temperature affects the start up. By mid day on a summer day, the car will start with no issue. I also want to point out that the ECT sensor(brand new) O'rielly Auto Part, S**Ks! I will next time order OEM only from selected vendors.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back