The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G ECT sensor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperFudge

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 26, 2011
Parma, Ohio
Hey guys I recently noticed that my temperature gauge on my car started fluctuating from the half way point up to 3/4 then quickly back down to half. From what I understand the car isn't overheating, so I ended up doing the Key Dance to pull codes.

I ended up with code 22 and according to AllData that's a code for an Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, either voltage to high or low.

The question is what would cause the sensor to have a high voltage or low? Or should I just replace the sensor and call it the day?

I know that the ECT sensor is a thermistor and changes resistance with temperature. Once the resistance changes it sends a signal to the PCM which then sends signals off to other key valuable sensors in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a few things. The sensor could be going bad an internally shorting or going open.

But also the thermostat could be sticking. So first I would verify your coolant temp is actually holding steady by way of a heat gun or finding some way to physically measure the coolant temp when it goes high.

I'm leaning more toward a bad sensor/connector issue at the sensor.

Could be a few things. The sensor could be going bad an internally shorting or going open.

But also the thermostat could be sticking. So first I would verify your coolant temp is actually holding steady by way of a heat gun or finding some way to physically measure the coolant temp when it goes high.

I'm leaning more toward a bad sensor/connector issue at the sensor.

x2, I agree.

Hey guys I recently noticed that my temperature gauge on my car started fluctuating from the half way point up to 3/4 then quickly back down to half. From what I understand the car isn’t overheating, so I ended up doing the Key Dance to pull codes.

I ended up with code 22 and according to AllData that’s a code for an Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, either voltage to high or low.

The question is what would cause the sensor to have a high voltage or low? Or should I just replace the sensor and call it the day?

I know that the ECT sensor is a thermistor and changes resistance with temperature. Once the resistance changes it sends a signal to the PCM which then sends signals off to other key valuable sensors in the car.

Well is your CEL on? The reason I am asking, my 98 is doing something similar where it will go 3/4 then back to half, while my car was doing a precondition yesterday, I used the mechanic's Temp Gun and water was 206 @ the radiator cap and 186 at the cylinder head I did overfill the bottle but no boiling and no CEL on at all. Also I am betting my car has the same problem considering, Thermostat is opening, top hose is Hot as usual and lower hose lukewarm and fans are working properly.

Cheers,
Charlie

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back