The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Driveshaft installation:Proper shimming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rts91tsi

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2009
Rockford, Michigan
I recently overhauled a spare driveshaft w/new yoke,u-joints and carrier bearings. I figured i might as well get the spacers and hardware too. The service manual says to notate the number of spacers, but who knows if it is correct from the previous owner. Does anyone know the proper method to shimm/space the driveshaft?

A couple years ago I had to replace a driveshaft and bearings, as well as weld new studs in for the bearing mounts. I bought the Mitsu kit with the various square spacers, and just tried different combos until it was as straight between the x-fer case and rear end as possible. It took a few tries before the vibration went away.

I don't know how they did it at the factory, but I used some string and a green astronomy laser to help check the straightness. You just have to space the string or laser off the shafts enough to miss the bearings.

It was sort of a PITA, but could have been worse. :)

Thanks for the input.I even didn't think about using a laser and sting. I was thinking of using an angle finder/protractor,tape measure,and or a level. I forgot to get the Torque Solutions Billet carrier bearing bushings with the other components, so it'll be a day or to till I get around to swapping out driveshafts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back