The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dipstick Dip Stick popped, popping, blow, blowing, blew out [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrcco

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2002
Bowie, Maryland
I just installed a different head after my timing belt went. Everything is back together and the break-in period is over. Last night i revved past 5,000 rpm. for the first time and noticed it was struggling, I let off at 5,500. Then a riced-out Honda cruised by so i stepped on it, went to about 6,000 rpm's, now theres a huge cloud of smoke behind my car. I opened the hood to notice my dipstick shot up, and oil sprayed all over the underneath of my hood, then dripped all over the motor and exhaust. What could be the problem? I already replaced the PCV valve and does the same thing???

Last edited by a moderator:
I seen something like condinsation coming out of the valve cover gasket too if that would mean anything I thought it was the pcv because of that

Sick of your DSM oil dipstick popping out, spraying oil everywhere and potentially creating a severe fire hazard? Don't worry, STM is here to help.

We start with a brand new, OEM oil dipstick tube and weld on a small hook for a spring to securely hold the dipstick in place and keep it from popping out. Then finish it all with a satin black coat of paint.

No more oil all over the place, no more fire hazard, no more worries.
ROFL !! What a retarded sales pitch!

"Severe fire hazard" ... gonna have to remember that one.. "Woo, your hot oil is gonna catch your engine compartment on fire when it sprays all over the compartment."

Big time lack of concern on the reason for dip sticks to be popping out and instead, they're selling these $55 dollar 'band-aid' POS devices..

Just waiting to hear from users when main seals gets blown out when crankcase pressure is excessive and this "$55 dollar band-aid" is actually the WORST thing invented since it's keeping the pressure built up in the crankcase. Like welding shut the pressure relief valve on a compressor and waiting for the tank to blow up from too much air pressure from being pumped in.

Agree: fix the problem. Don't use a "Band-Aid" to try to cover up the problem.

-DSM

ROFL !! What a retarded sales pitch!

"Severe fire hazard" ... gonna have to remember that one.. "Woo, your hot oil is gonna catch your engine compartment on fire when it sprays all over the compartment."

Big time lack of concern on the reason for dip sticks to be popping out and instead, they're selling these $55 dollar 'band-aid' POS devices..

Just waiting to hear from users when main seals gets blown out when crankcase pressure is excessive and this "$55 dollar band-aid" is actually the WORST thing invented since it's keeping the pressure built up in the crankcase. Like welding shut the pressure relief valve on a compressor and waiting for the tank to blow up from too much air pressure from being pumped in.

Agree: fix the problem. Don't use a "Band-Aid" to try to cover up the problem.

-DSM

Well the dip stick is right by the manifold which is hot enough to ignite hot oil. It can and will happen if you get oil on a hot manifold, so i would call it a fire hazard.

Kinda...why you kinda leave the exhaust manifold heat shield in place.

I have my shield in place since I know it's there for a reason.

Sorry, just caught me off guard there-in why I made that comment..never had such a problem of hot oil in being such a fire hazard..

But, guess it happens when you remove devices to prevent such hazards.

Just thinking safety again where it comes from my years of experience knowing that I'm not smarter than the designer who made such devices to operate for a good, and logical reason.

-DSM

Kinda...why you kinda leave the exhaust manifold heat shield in place.

I have my shield in place since I know it's there for a reason.

Sorry, just caught me off guard there-in why I made that comment..never had such a problem of hot oil in being such a fire hazard..

But, guess it happens when you remove devices to prevent such hazards.

Just thinking safety again where it comes from my years of experience knowing that I'm not smarter than the designer who made such devices to operate for a good, and logical reason.

-DSM

That's great when you are running a FP or OEM manifold but once you exceed that and start needing equal length manifolds for your large ass turbo it once again can become a fire hazard. Plus previous owners do retarded shit and it's fairly hard to locate one at wrecking yards around where I live.

But I agree the dip stick popping out is not because of the dipstick but because another issue that should be addressed before spending 55 dollars on a dipstick. I'd start with the PCV as it's quick and easy to replace, on top of that it's cheap.

Blow by can also cause the dip stick to pop out, but I'd bet on the pcv.

That's great when you are running a FP or OEM manifold but once you exceed that and start needing equal length manifolds for your large ass turbo it once again can become a fire hazard. Plus previous owners do retarded shit and it's fairly hard to locate one at wrecking yards around where I live.

But I agree the dip stick popping out is not because of the dipstick but because another issue that should be addressed before spending 55 dollars on a dipstick. I'd start with the PCV as it's quick and easy to replace, on top of that it's cheap.

Blow by can also cause the dip stick to pop out, but I'd bet on the pcv.

I agree, PCV may need replacing, and if its clogged it could lead to blown oil seals etc. later on.

Why the check valve? Why would you want such a restriction on one of the only two sources for the crankcase to ventilate( the other being the dipstick tube). Makes no sense to me but maybe you know a bit more than i about it

Get one of these check valves 3/8" Kynar® Standard Check Valves | U.S. Plastic Corp., put it between the stock pcv valve and the intake manifold, and forget about it. The stock pcv valves can leak right out of the box and can't check off boost like one of these. That is it's job afterall... To check off boost from the intake manifold so it doesn't pressurize the crankcase causing things like dipsticks to pop out and oil to pour out the breather side of the valve cover.;)

These check valves are rated to 150psi and they flow great! Oh, and they're cheap too.:sneaky:

P.S. I've come to the understanding that the oem valve has a specific sized orifice that these cars like to see, especially on a stock car, and that's why I mention using the USplastic valve upstream of the oem valve.:) That's just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

So of I do the catch can like you said in the other post what would I do about the pcv valve? Would I hook the catch can to it? You said it can't hold boost so would I get rid of it and if so what would I put in its place?

I read what I could and gathered information but Im bad at reading comprehension if you could just be cool and tell me what I do in place of the pcv do I get a new one I understood everything else I just didn't see what to in inplace of it was it that plastic in line filter

I just didn't see what to in inplace of it was it that plastic in line filter

You don't really expect anyone to believe this do you? :)

Since I'm in a good mood, I'll spoon feed it to you:

A simple solution to this problem is to add an additional check valve between the IM and PCV valve. This check valve needs to be tough and chemical resistant, and have a fairly low crack pressure so that normal flow isn't impeded. Fortunately for us, US Plastics sells one that is both ideal and inexpensive. (I think Romeen was the first to find these and test them. We owe him a big thanks, as they are extremely useful for many applications under the hood.)

3/8" Kynar Standard Check Valves

There is even a big picture showing exactly where it goes (with or without the catch can there):

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Please don't insult our intelligence with excuses for not doing some reading, searching, or whatever. If you can't read and comprehend the answer in the article, how can you read and comprehend it if somebody posts it here in a thread? It doesn't get any simpler than that ^.

Either read (actually READ) what people point you to...or don't. But don't come back saying you read something when you obviously didn't. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not blind I can see the huge pictures thanks buddy

I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence you wrote a essay about pcv valves and catch cans when I read what I could before work now I'm in work going back and forth with you and the I asked a simple question. I read it before work I can't remember everything i read I can go back later and read it again I thought I would be easier explaining my situation to you and you take it as a joke witch is fine I don't care but thanks for sending what I need to the post. I'll read it later

Im not blind I can see the huge pictures thanks buddy

I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence you wrote a essay about pcv valves and catch cans when I read what I could before work now I'm in work going back and forth with you and the I asked a simple question. I read it before work I can't remember everything i read I can go back later and read it again I thought I would be easier explaining my situation to you and you take it as a joke witch is fine I don't care but thanks for sending what I need to the post. I'll read it later

We get a lot of people these days who are just PLAIN LAZY and refuse to do the slightest bit of searching for answers, and even when they are given everything they need, they still refuse to even read it. It's like they want someone to type a two-word response and make all of their issues magically disappear. It get's REALLY old.

If I misread your situation, my bad. Don't take it personally. ;)

I don't want you to think I'm the lazy people I did read its just a lot to read. I just needed to know why I had so much pressure in the head. so your sayin if I follow what you said to do my dip stick won't blow out and the pressure wont build up in my head

so your sayin if I follow what you said to do my dip stick won't blow out and the pressure wont build up in my head

Not necessarily. You need to figure out why your dipstick is popping out first, and then go from there. As bryanwheat mentioned in the second post, it could be something as simple as a PCV valve, or it may just be a worn out old dipstick and CC pressure isn't really that bad. Or it may be something else that really is causing excessive pressure to build up.

Simply replacing the PCV valve with a new OEM one (and adding the check valve for insurance) is cheap and easy, so I would start there. If your dipstick is old and the rubber seal is hard and brittle, replace it also.

When is the last time you did a compression and/or leak-down test?

Well my dip stick is all messed up and I will change the pcv valve. I'll have to read that when I'm out of work but I haven't done I pressure test I've only had the car for two months haven't really driven I'm tryin to go threw it and figure out the problems and fix as I go threw it

If its just a pcv problem then it should fix the problem but if its excess blow by then no. Just work on lining out the pcv system and if its still a problem then its probably blow by (bad rings) or worn valve stems, guides, and or seals.

Well my dip stick is all messed up and I will change the pcv valve.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you pick up one of those 3/8" kynar check valves and add it between the IM and the new PCV valve. Even brand new OEM pcv valves leak at boost as low as 15psi...so the check valve is cheap insurance against pressurizing your crankcase from the IM.

Since shipping on the check valve is a bit high for such a cheap part, buy a few of them and sell them on here in the classifieds for $3 shipped in an envelope. It will be cheaper for whoever buys them from you, and you'll actually make a small profit. Not to mention, they are useful to have laying around for other uses on a DSM also. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back