The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Dipstick Dip Stick popped, popping, blow, blowing, blew out [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrcco

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2002
Bowie, Maryland
I just installed a different head after my timing belt went. Everything is back together and the break-in period is over. Last night i revved past 5,000 rpm. for the first time and noticed it was struggling, I let off at 5,500. Then a riced-out Honda cruised by so i stepped on it, went to about 6,000 rpm's, now theres a huge cloud of smoke behind my car. I opened the hood to notice my dipstick shot up, and oil sprayed all over the underneath of my hood, then dripped all over the motor and exhaust. What could be the problem? I already replaced the PCV valve and does the same thing???

Last edited by a moderator:
My dip stick shoots out every now and then but I never get oil flowing out enough to smoke!

My engine was also rebuilt due to a broken timing belt, and the dipstick always pushes up. It rides about one half inch up (the top of the metal tube and the first rubber "barb" are even). My problem seems to be the age of the rubber; it just dosen't make a seal anymore.

that happen to me tonight all the smoke and i am so scared to see what i did . the moter still runs just sounds like loud exaust from the driverside like in the timingbelt area / what happen with you did you get it fixed

I put a breather valve air filter thing on my valve cover and got a new dipstick. I'm revving to 7,000 rpm again. I didn't notice any strange noises when mine did that though.

this should all go away with a new dipstick. your seal on your dipstick is bad. buy a new one and presto! your problems are gone

This happened to me as well after changing my timing belt and tensioners. Me and the rest of Miami DSM were cruising down the streets and all of a sudden, I was smokin. This happens to a lot of DSMs...I replaced the dipstick, put a breather, and changed the PCV Valve, and it did it again. So, I did a lil do it yourself job on it and put some electrical tape on in to hold it in place. Now I can red line if I want and no oil anywhere.

This happened to me three or four times after a t-belt change and head rebuild. Hasn't happend in a few months, and I am still driving the hell out of it

Will

Also get rid of that PCV valve, plug off the nipple on the intake manny it runs to. Take out the pcv valve and replace it with a 1/8" brass nipple and stick a breather filter on there. It will help get rid of the excess crankcase pressure that is causing the dipstick to shoot up.

DONOT tape or zitie your dipstick to fix it, then instead of oil coming out your dipstick, the pressure will not be released and you will blow seals in your engine instead. then suddenly you will find oil all over your timing belt when you bend your valves because the timing jumped from the oil seals leaking onto the timing belt.

There should be a sticky on dipstick blowouts/pcv elimination.:thumb:

ok i have looked on almost every page i know of for a fix for this problem. so only now do i feel i need to pose the question to you guys.

i have this problem with my dipstick (not sure if its just too loose or what) it pops out of the tube when i drive it. i have heard that installing a breather filter helps. so i did that, but the dipstick still pops out.

not sure if i am building up excess pressure or if it just works itself out of the tube. has anyone else had this problem?

i was thinking of J.B. Welding some sort of tie down to the tube to strap the stick down. but i would like to know if any of you have a better solution. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Originally posted by marntson
ok i have looked on almost every page i know of for a fix for this problem. so only now do i feel i need to pose the question to you guys.

i have this problem with my dipstick (not sure if its just too loose or what) it pops out of the tube when i drive it. i have heard that installing a breather filter helps. so i did that, but the dipstick still pops out.

not sure if i am building up excess pressure or if it just works itself out of the tube. has anyone else had this problem?

i was thinking of J.B. Welding some sort of tie down to the tube to strap the stick down. but i would like to know if any of you have a better solution. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The same thing happened to the other day. Did you lose any oil, because i lost 2 quarts! it was all over the engine. I was surprised i didnt see any smoke from burning oil on the engine. The only sign i got was my acceleration sucked. my gauged showed boost but there was no usual acc. i was lucky to catch the prob as soon as i did but i still don't know of the effects if any from driving with about half the amount of oil.

I was playing around with a VR6 on the highway I smell oil burning and pulled over and open the hood and oil was all over the enigne and the dipstick was up. Why did this happened and what can I do to fix it??

Try checking your pcv valve(might be blocked). Sounds like you have too much pressure in the crankcase.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back