The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Dipstick Dip Stick popped, popping, blow, blowing, blew out [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrcco

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2002
Bowie, Maryland
I just installed a different head after my timing belt went. Everything is back together and the break-in period is over. Last night i revved past 5,000 rpm. for the first time and noticed it was struggling, I let off at 5,500. Then a riced-out Honda cruised by so i stepped on it, went to about 6,000 rpm's, now theres a huge cloud of smoke behind my car. I opened the hood to notice my dipstick shot up, and oil sprayed all over the underneath of my hood, then dripped all over the motor and exhaust. What could be the problem? I already replaced the PCV valve and does the same thing???

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen stm make a 4g63 with a pressure release valve they taped in the block to help blowby and such forth.

Does anyone really want a big, bulky, overly-priced spring hanging off their dipstick?

Replace the dipstick with a new OEM one, fix the excessive CC pressure, and then do something clean and simple like this for a little peace of mind.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just my .02 of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
My old 7 bolt did that before i put my 6 bolt swap in, from ring blow by. Crimp the top of the tube to grab it harder, or tie it on with wire or something. Its ghetto but it works.

Ok i have a fresh 6 bolt swap in my car i did not build it i got it from a shop and when i get in boost my oil dip stick blows out just a little not fully just pops out a little and i have been trying to fix my car I don't know what it is my car runs to rich at boost and to lean at idle can some one help i have a 255 lph pump 660cc injectors and i can't get to stock boost i can only get to 8-9 psi i know i have a boost leak i fixed it but what could be the problem ? i really need help. I seen on one of the forms that some guy had blow bye but i have a new block with 656 miles on it only? + dip stick is old, after i blew my stock 7 bolt i put this block in and i have had nothing but problems with my car and i really don't want to sell my car this is my first car and i love DSM's. I know this hole post is out of whack and jumping around and i apologize for that :ohdamn:

You can crimp the dipstick and check the dipstick if its broken at the top seal.Also check pcv valve and system is all good maybe a new pcv valve won't hurt.How much boost are you running if alot I have seen it happen just becuase of the pressure maybe get a springs to hold it down so it won't fly out.

Get a new dipstick, do a leakdown test, have a quality crankcase ventilation solution in place. If the first and third items are already taken care of, and you have bad leakdown numbers, you either have a motor that has serious issues from the builder, or you have serious tune issues that need to be addressed. What do the plugs look like?

Had the same problem and posted this same question. Your going to get people saying blow bye, piston rings, bad dipstick, crankcase pressure, to crimp the dipstick . Wisemen correct me if I'm wrong but you do not want to crimp the dipstick, you want to fix the problem and not put a band aid on it. My dipstick o ring wasnt dried out and I changed it anyway and it fixed my problem. That would be the 1st thing and cheapest thing I would recommed. If its crankcase pressure, heres a very good link. Good luck

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html

Don't crimp the dipstick tube. If it is old and crappy, replace the dipstick tube, dipstick, and o-rings.

Why bandage fix a bigger potential problem?

Don't crimp the dipstick tube. If it is old and crappy, replace the dipstick tube, dipstick, and o-rings.

Why bandage fix a bigger potential problem?

Running crimped dipstick tube for 4 years no issue, but I also don't run pcv system anymore.:/

Get a catch can..I have a PCV valve that's been hollowed out and had an AN fitting welded to it,and it was good to like 22-24psi. I also bought a new dipstick from Mitsu.

+ dip stick is old
This is likely your only problem. Crank case pressure to some degree is normal. As suggested above a new PCV valve isn't a bad idea. Do not eliminate the line from the valve cover to the intake. It does serve a purpose. There are lots of opinions on removing this line, filters, catch cans etc. The only downside I can see to this line is it can introduce oil into the intake system over time and coat things down. There is a fix. Put a catch can in the line but do NOT ventilate it. Leave it a closed system. This way the line still does what it was originally designed to do, ventilate the crankcase.

Had the same problem and posted this same question. Your going to get people saying blow bye, piston rings, bad dipstick, crankcase pressure, to crimp the dipstick . Wisemen correct me if I'm wrong but you do not want to crimp the dipstick, you want to fix the problem and not put a band aid on it. My dipstick o ring wasnt dried out and I changed it anyway and it fixed my problem. That would be the 1st thing and cheapest thing I would recommed. If its crankcase pressure, heres a very good link. Good luck

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html
So on his post it says i need "two" catch cans ? or can i just use one ? what are good catch cans ? any one have some links i'm not trying to spend a lot for one tho.

yeah i had the exact same problem and noticed the seal on my dipstick was hard as a rock..found a dipstick at a junk yard and it fixed the problem

I would say check pcv valve...for 5bucks your not risking much. change it out and see if it still happens. Also STM sells a dipstick and dipstick tube with a tab welded on it and it comes with a spring to hold it down. Its like 60bucks. What i did was i bought a package of assorted springs for 3bucks at autozone and got a package of hose clamps. took the smallest hose clamp and put it just below the bend in the dipstick tube,selected the correct sized spring hooked it to the dipstick and the other side to the hose clamp. and now my dipstick doesnt pop out anymore and spray oil all over my engine compartment.

Alot of times it is crankcase pressure building up, so i would make sure your system is getting enough relief. Make sure all of your lines are hooked up correctly, check your pcv valve, and you might want to think about a catch can.
I havent had a problem yet with my 6 bolt and i run the stock pcv system and no catch can. (my boost is like 12-16 depending on if i get on it on my 14b)

Alot of times it is crankcase pressure building up, so i would make sure your system is getting enough relief. Make sure all of your lines are hooked up correctly, check your pcv valve, and you might want to think about a catch can.
I havent had a problem yet with my 6 bolt and i run the stock pcv system and no catch can. (my boost is like 12-16 depending on if i get on it on my 14b)
were can i get a new pvc valve. I am looking into catch cans right now i just don't know what one to buy because in the link http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/366890-4g63t-pcv-system.html it says you need a good one well i have no idea what are good or bad i never bought one and i don't want to buy a bad one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back