The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Diagnosis 101 - Ask Good Questions to Get Good Answers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
This is more for newbies (especially those that are not mechanically inclined or are just starting out). We have seen thousands of posts of "What is", "How do I", "Is this any good", "What will happen if I", etc.

I will offer this advice.

0. FILL OUT A PROFILE. DO NOT ASSUME WE KNOW WHAT CAR YOU HAVE OR WHAT MODS HAVE BEEN DONE.
1. Define the problem. Tell us what is happening specifically.
2. Clarify the problem. Provide details as necessary. We will take at face value whatever you tell us. Why do you think what you are thinking?
3. Define the goals. (see examples below)
4. Identify the root cause of the problem (that's usually where we come in).
5. Give us history if you have it. Ex. I just got this car...or...I've had this car for 3 years and I've changed xyz over those years and then all of a sudden.....or....the car has never ran in my possession. etc.

Example:
Do not post extremely generic questions like "are these XYZ brake pads any good?" That's like calling up your doctor and asking if Advil is any good. We don't know if it will serve your purposes if you don't tell us what your criteria is.
Instead, put some effort into your question- "my brakes have been starting to squeal, I did an inspection (or didn't) and they are worn down to the point of needing replacement. I'm not happy with the performance as I get brake fade when doing multiple stops. I'm considering XYZ pads and wanted to know about qualify, longevity, fade and dust. Are they a good value and do they meet my criteria of good fade properties and low dust and easy on brake rotor life. Are they loud like other race brake pads? I don't really want a loud race pad."

Does this make sense? Tell us what you're doing, why, what steps you've already taken to resolve the issue (CREATE A VEHICLE PROFILE SO WE CAN SEE YOUR EXISTING MODS), where you're going next, etc, etc, etc.

If you were talking to a mechanic (and you are) what would you tell that person? Would you say "I think my brake pads are bad" or would you say "my brake pads are squealing, I've inspected and I want to do XYZ based on this information".

If you are unskilled and can only provide minimal information then state that and we will try and guide you, even spoon feed you, based on your limited knowledge. But having limited knowledge isn't an excuse for being lazy.

You will get more help if you provide information and you aren't lazy about it.

A goal is not typically subjective, it's objective.
I want to go faster is not a very specific goal. "I currently run 15.0 in the quarter mile with a 2.0 second 60 foot. I want to run a 14.0 with a 1.8 second 60 foot". That is a stated objective goal.
I want a better turbo is not an objective goal. "My current turbo (16g) does not reach my current 18 psi setting until 4600 rpm, I want something that flows the same or better CFM at 18psi with spool characteristics at least 500rpm sooner, Oh yeah my muffler shop installed all my piping with 1.5" tubing is that a problem?". THAT is an objective statement and goal. It doesn't need to be that specific but my point is typically some "measured" data is better than vague statements. You can see my sarcasm there but I think it shows that if enough information is provided we can help with the problem and root cause analysis to achieve the goal. If you provide all the information up front we do not have to prod you for it and have a back and forth question session to get to the root cause.

Last edited:
Good advice!

While many questions are already answered in threads here, some of the new ones may require a bit of thought and time by those responding to your questions.

Since you're not paying for that effort please be considerate and invest a little time of your own by reviewing your posts, correcting your spelling (google makes it easy to look it up if you don't know) and make your thoughts as clear as you can. Think about how to define the problem, what you have done to diagnose it, any questions you might have on how to break it down further, and what else you can do to test out any theories you have.

If you post a big block of text cause you're in a hurry don't be surprised when it's ignored or deleted.

If you post a big block of text cause you're in a hurry don't be surprised when it's ignored or deleted.
My sentiments exactly. I went in and put punctuation in a thread this morning because it was one run-on sentence. At least take the time to use punctuation and for gods sake, this site will even correct your spelling for you. It is always underlined in RED. Very easy to fix before you post. (My word runon had a red line under it, it was pretty hard to right click and correct it, but I did it).
Nice write up Paul.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back