The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

"demodding" for another 14b build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD_Boosted4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, Texas
Hey guys/gals
ive put some serious thought into this and its most likely going down
my current setup was about 450 awhp PTE 6262 1000ccs forged block .020 over
head stage 3 port and polished 1mm ovr valves, 272/272s
and JMFab SMIM tuned off of DSM link... after the unfortunate passing of my Turbo i have decided to take a different approach...
instead of purchasing another turbo i want to do another 14b build.. what do you guys think about using my current head setup with it...or would you guys suggest putting my stock head back on as well as stock cams and intake manifold due to the 14b falling off shortly after 6k rpm
i have my old 680cc injectors that i will by using as well
any input would be greatly appreciated

Hmmm.. I'm thinking them 272 cams would be waaayyy overkill.. you'll lose more power with them cams on a 14b platform then you would be gaining anything from it..

I would rather keep the PTE 6262, but if your serious about going back to a small turbo platform maybe a E316G? People run 272/272's or 264/272's on them 16g's all day.. And with your list of current supporting mods they would still benefit, and help support the 16g platform a lot better then they would be trying to support a 14b which IMO would make the 14b laggy as fk..

Just my 2 Cents though.. :D

Why not just try it and dyno it and see? I would speculate the big cams would be better suited for a big turbo, but when people go "all the way" looking for a record on a 14b/16g/etc that stuff gets changed out and upgraded too. Might as well see what the car is like without going through the expense of pulling the head. Who knows, you may like the way it performs.

Yeah if I could stick with the 6262 I definitely would man, but as I said before it is toast and will soon become a toilet paper dispenser LOL
As for my choice of the 14b, I have two just laying around and I will try their worth most likely one with my current head setup, then once it is spent I will ###### just do it with the stock head for longevity...
And once they are both spent I will most likely go with the e316g or try out the fb black

Want to surprise yourself? Run the minimum amount of hardware to change from your big turbo setup to the 14B.

You'll learn a lot, and find out that many of what folks claim on here about what is "too much" or what you need for a big v. small turbo is pure speculation because they've never actually tried.

I do it once in a while between setups.

I keep the oil lines, a j-pipe, trusty 130k mile 14B, dumped O2 housing and a 3" downpipe just for the occasion.

Want to surprise yourself? Run the minimum amount of hardware to change from your big turbo setup to the 14B.

You'll learn a lot, and find out that many of what folks claim on here about what is "too much" or what you need for a big v. small turbo is pure speculation because they've never actually tried.

I do it once in a while between setups.

I keep the oil lines, a j-pipe, trusty 130k mile 14B, dumped O2 housing and a 3" downpipe just for the occasion.

lookie what we got here guys...someone who isnt afraid to try something new...i may just try it for a little while, just to "actually" see the results...who knows it may end up being pretty sweet...Thanks Landspeed-DSM
any more opinions?

It would be alot easier to bolt on the 14b and crank up the boost then to De mod your whole engine... Just get the 7cm housing so she has more top end.

It would be alot easier to bolt on the 14b and crank up the boost then to De mod your whole engine... Just get the 7cm housing so she has more top end.

He should install the 14b and then demod his whole engine? That doesn't make sense. :p

yeah i agree that a simple turbo and injector swap would be a hell of a lot easier...i may even keep my external wastegate to negate the 14b's boost creep habits...plus since i already have the turbo out i may as well port it and remove the WG flange and actuator. where would one go about acquiring a 7 cm housing Zombiesix?

i just realized how dumb of a question that was LOL...ok i have an old Ebay3 16g that (to no surprise) has blown seals...would the turbing housing from that be sufficient to "bolt up" to the 14b?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back