The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

custom turbo kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastRS

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
i have a 95 n/t eclipse that want to turbo. i've looked at all the kits but none of them have everything i want so i think i'm going to put together my own kit. i'm pretty sure i know everything i need, but i want to double check. so, could someone list or direct me to a list ofeverything that i'll need all the way down to gaskets, and hardware? i will be putting on a fmic so is there anything else i need for that besides the actual front mount and piping? if someone could help me out that would be great, thanks.

tell me what you think you need and i'll tell you if your headed in the right direction.

well i know i need these parts:
turbo
manifold
bov
wastegate
fmic w/ piping (dont know what size i should go, or how many pipes there are)
oil return kit (dont know which one or exactly what comes in it)
gaskets (dont know which ones)
hardware ?
i just need to make sure i get all the little things. i dont want to leave anything out. i have the fuel department covered, i know what i need there. so if you could help me with the rest of it that would be great.

in addition to what you have listed you'll need

-downpipe
-some form of boost controller(not required, but reccomended)

as far as gaskets go, the only ones i replaced where the exhaust manifold to head connection and the downpipe to cat convertor. most people run without manifold-turbo and turbo-downpipe gaskets.

if you want to be cost effective with your kit, i'd suggest getting a starion FMIC from ebay...generally not very expensive and will get the job done.

the oil kit you'll need is basically 2 parts, the oil feed line which is a small high pressure hose that will pick oil up from the oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block. it tees into that and is one of the bitchiest parts of a turbo install, the other part you need is the return line which is a high temp larger diamter (1") that will feed the oil from the turbo back to the oilpan.

you say you have the fuel system covered, but just to be throrough i will include a basic setup for that as well...a good entry level FMU(such as the vortec FMU) will work best for low boost applications (under 10psi) over that you'll want to go with an andjustable FMU(such as the vortec SFMU) you will also need a good fuel pump, the typical one for us is the walbro 255lph...

check out 2gnt..there is a great search feature that will poiint you in the direction you want to go if you need more help...this topic has been covered numerous times.

1fastRS said:
i have a 95 n/t eclipse that want to turbo. i've looked at all the kits but none of them have everything i want so i think i'm going to put together my own kit. i'm pretty sure i know everything i need, but i want to double check. so, could someone list or direct me to a list ofeverything that i'll need all the way down to gaskets, and hardware? i will be putting on a fmic so is there anything else i need for that besides the actual front mount and piping? if someone could help me out that would be great, thanks.
What is missing from the turbo kits that you want? The turbo kits available have most of the things that you would want. Are you looking for a diff sized turbo or what? Also if you don't know all that you need to build a custom kit, then you're prolly not ready to build one yourself.

Also if you don't know all that you need to build a custom kit, then you're prolly not ready to build one yourself.

first off, thats why i'm asking this question so i cant figure out everything i need to know. i wont just wake up one day and know all the parts, i need to learn from some where.
now about the turbo kits out there. i know of two for our cars, Hahn and Star. i want a t3/t4 but i would like a slightly bigger one than what comes in the star kit, plus i want it to a ball bearing turbo. i want a different manifold, i can get an equal length one thats nice. i dont want the delta wastegate, i want a tial. i dont want the vortech fmu, i want the vortec s-fmu. thats why i dont want to buy a kit, it would be a waste of money. so like i said, i need actual help.

hey man, im not sure if this is of any help to you or not... but i figured id mention it. AGP makes really nice full garrett kits. I hear nothing but great things from the kits they make. comes with new manifold,tial wg,oil lines, gaskets, hardware, lots of bb turbo choices and others,ss o2 housing.think thats it. its kinda pricey, but damn is it sweet :D . not necessarily what you are looking for, but figured i would throw the idea out there. god i love those kits LOL. good luck man. matt

p.s. just in case......http://agpturbo.com/customer/home.php?cat=71

50trimtsi said:
hey man, im not sure if this is of any help to you or not... but i figured id mention it. AGP makes really nice full garrett kits. I hear nothing but great things from the kits they make. comes with new manifold,tial wg,oil lines, gaskets, hardware, lots of bb turbo choices and others,ss o2 housing.think thats it. its kinda pricey, but damn is it sweet :D . not necessarily what you are looking for, but figured i would throw the idea out there. god i love those kits LOL. good luck man. matt

p.s. just in case......http://agpturbo.com/customer/home.php?cat=71

too bad those kits are made for 4g63 equipped dsms and not 420a equipped dsms :dsm:

hey man, im not sure if this is of any help to you or not... but i figured id mention it. AGP makes really nice full garrett kits. I hear nothing but great things from the kits they make. comes with new manifold,tial wg,oil lines, gaskets, hardware, lots of bb turbo choices and others,ss o2 housing.think thats it. its kinda pricey, but damn is it sweet . not necessarily what you are looking for, but figured i would throw the idea out there. god i love those kits LOL. good luck man. matt

97eclipsers said they arent for the 420A but i'll look anyway. thanks for the tip though, i'll take what i can get.

i didnt even have to look at the web site(althou i did) to know you cant use them. otherwise people would talk about those when talking about kits for our cars too. those kits are pricey? damn i wish our kits were that cost.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back