The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Custom Intercooler Pipes on custom Turbo Kit Questions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECLIPSE95

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2002
Missoula, Montana
I just started ordering some parts for my custom turbo kit..oil lines are on the way with the turbo manifold and the T3 turbo is later to come..anyway

Question is since my IC pipes are going to be custom how do I run the IC pipe that is on the passager side of the FMIC..since the IC isnt like the one from HRC and there is only an inlet on one side and an outlet on the other side..instead of them being on same side as the HRC one..

so how do I run those pipes? I have every thing figured out except where I run them..I believe the pipe that comes off the Throttle body goes down to the outlet on the driver side of the FMIC right? and on that pipe the BOV is mounted a certain distance from the TB...

Could I just use a HRC hotpipe and wouldnt that work so I would only have to customize one pipe?

if anybody can help me with this I would really appreciate it thankz..PICS would help so I know where to route the pipes..thankz

I would save yourself a headache and get the HRC FMIC or get a intercooler with endtanks on one side. The power steering and a/c blocks that route.. I'm sure it can be done though

T3/T4 turbo..or any turbo that would go with the T3 flange..any suggestions on the turbo?

I was searching for pics last night for hours and the way i seen it routed was bend from one side of the FMIC and a pipe that runs across the top...makeing it pretty close to the HRC one

ya thats where I cant get that visual of how to run them...so if the turbo dumps straight down..meaning the turbo outlet points to the ground? so the driver side outlet runs to the TB right? and the inlet is on the passanger side and run that across the top of the IC to the turbo? still kinda confused on that...and wont the HRC hotpipe mount up pretty close to the IC outlet on the Driver side?

you could do what I'm going to do and basically run it like the star stage 2, just add an extra 90 coupler and 90 pipe to compensate for the different endtank.
something like this( I'm not the best drawer)

:thumb:
you should be able to get the idea though

Attachments

• icfab.JPG
    icfab.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 307
  • icfab2.JPG
    icfab2.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 306
ECLIPSE95 said:
ya thats where I cant get that visual of how to run them...so if the turbo dumps straight down..meaning the turbo outlet points to the ground? so the driver side outlet runs to the TB right? and the inlet is on the passanger side and run that across the top of the IC to the turbo? still kinda confused on that...and wont the HRC hotpipe mount up pretty close to the IC outlet on the Driver side?

no

out of the turbo to the drivers side, around the front frame piece into the drivers side ic inlet then from the passanger side outlet to the stock piping, you can do it all with 3 2.5" u-bends from summit

dang just realized my I/C was backwards, disregard the tabs on the bottom in the picture(bottom pic) you should get the idea though just ignore the tabs the ic looks the same on both sides(besides the mounting tabs) sorry should have flipped it around to avoid confussion. :thumb:

cool cat LOLz..thankz, that helped me alot...so then once I get them to that side there is a gap so I can have both pipes pass through the front without any cutting? or where do they pass through to get into the engine bay? any pics of that? just so I know..

there's room for them to pass thru, you can kinda tell with this pic I found( this guy made his own i/c piping also I believe) :dsm:
and thanx for the props on my wife's cat, he's crazy(like's to get his picture taken any chance he gets LOL)

Attachments

• dsideintercoolerfront.jpg
    dsideintercoolerfront.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 288
Awesome, well make sure you keep us posted. I've begun buying parts for my custom setup as well. Have you gotten your intercooler yet, and if so, where from? I haven't pulled the bumper off and looked at anything yet, so I was wondering just how much room there is, and about what size ic does everyone usually get?

My friend has an intercooler from Johnnyracecar.com and it has worked extremly well from him, he has a s13 w/ the ka engine and he drifts for competition & he is recommending it to me highly... I am looking into it.

Johnnyracecar is definitely awesome. One of my buddies was talking about his friends S14 with an intercooler from him, and he said it worked great also. I especially like those black anodized ones, but too bad he doesn't ship to Alaska :thumbdown.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back