The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Custom exhaust manifold build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking great!

Another option is to weld everywhere you easily can, while keeping the collector and flange connections tacked only. Then, remove each runner one by one and finish welding the areas you couldn't reach. That should prevent the runners from moving around alot.

Thanks. I would do my next one that way. You posted before I welded it!!!! Should have told me. Lol.

Edit: just remembered a pipe welder trick. I can cut out a window and weld it on the inside if all else fails.

Last edited:
Wow this looks amazing! I'm currently taking a welding course and learning TIG. I can't get enough of it and I'm looking forward to fabing up my own stuff like down pipe, catch can, intake, and whatever else I can get my hands on LOL. Keep us updated!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Making some changes. #2 was to short for my liking. #4 was rubbing compressor. #1 just looked stupid too ....

Looking good man! Every time I see someone make their own manifold, I want to start buying all the supplies and start one LOL I wouldn't get very far!

One more runner to do. Hopefully I can ship this off end of week for coating. I don't know what kind of coating yet. Need more research. Opinions?

Swain Tech or Jet Hot. Those are my two favorites.

Are you doing single passes on those joints? What diameter filler are you using? I assume it's 308L?

If you don't mind a bit of constructive critisism; it looks like you're using too much heat and possibly not enough gas coverage. The HAZ should be much narrower and the beads should be more shiny and less of a dull gray color. What do you have the regulator flowing at?

Swain Tech or Jet Hot. Those are my two favorites.

Are you doing single passes on those joints? What diameter filler are you using? I assume it's 308L?

If you don't mind a bit of constructive critisism; it looks like you're using too much heat and possibly not enough gas coverage. The HAZ should be much narrower and the beads should be more shiny and less of a dull gray color. What do you have the regulator flowing at?

Single pass. 100% penetration. .062. Once you get around the tube the gas cant cover it all while its still cooling. As long it doesn't oxidize on face its good to go. Some of my welds for work turn out like that too. Just not as dark because its alot thinner and doesn't stay hot at long. Passes FPI, hydro, and X-RAY all day long. Just has to do with the way the gas flows around the tube.

So ive been beat up on my discoloration in HAZ by a few differnt people. Heres a little explanation.

This is the type of weld i see on most 1000$ manifold. Low weld and little or complete lack of penetration.

Here is what they should look like. Nice reinforcement on face and complete penetration on root. The weld width measures. .240" . Most welds you want to make 2x wider than the thickness of the material your welding. The tubing is .109"

The discoloration can be remove and you can see the weld isnt sugared or scaley.

Clean manifold bro. I cant wait for my tig welder to be here finally. Great project reminds me of some of the pressurized pipe i weld at work.

The welds do look good and are better than i seeon a lot of manifolds p[eople buy on the 'net. But i also have to agree with Paul that your outside beads look like you got them a little hot. But as you know from work, stainless can be a bi***. Even if you work with one thickness of it daily moving up to SCh 40 from .030" wall there's a difference in how you need to work it asfar as speed and heat input. I love doing .090" wall stuff in stainless as i can hammer that out all day in beautifull steamfitter wuality welds but put me on some that's too thin or thick and i need some practice slabs to get my technique right.

anyway,i'm not dogging your work i think it looks great, and although i think a little hot the beads are still within what would be acceptable in steamfitting as well, so i have no doubts that the manifold will hold up perfectly under use

can't wait to see the finished product

what model TIG are you using? I have a Miller Dynasty 200 DX that i love to death, doesn't have the shear power of the old miller synchrowave 250, but then again i dont' need a forklift to take it some where either LOL

Stuff like this makes me want to buy a new welder. To bad where I'm living at prohibits it. Guess I'm gonna have to sneak it :shhh: Great job on the mani!!! :thumb: I can't wait to see more.

Here is what I did with number 2. I'm not real thrilled with the radius. Startin to get warm so I need to get this project going.

Looks good man, I just went through this myself, but used a cast collector to make it easy on me hahha.

Swain Tech's white lightning is amazing, I highly recommend it for a coating that does more than just look good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back