The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Exhaust Manifold Build!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talont3t4

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton, AB_Canada
Just thougth I would post some pics this is my first manifold I have built so be gentile, all in all I'm pretty happy with how it came out the Merge colllector is a slip fit and is a divided T4 flange!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Interesting design! I like it.

I liked it when you posted it on albertadsm. What are you going to be running for wastegates?

I might be bugging you when it comes time to make my forward facing turbo manifold.

Mi"sma;153299973 said:
I liked it when you posted it on albertadsm. What are you going to be running for wastegates?

I might be bugging you when it comes time to make my forward facing turbo manifold.

Ill post some newer pics I'm running dual Tail 44mm gates! :hellyeah:

Interesting design! I like it.

There is a method to my madness if you follow my build it should make sense very soon :)

What size is the piping?

I think you could definitely use a lower angle merge collector, and the thin wall piping is going to lose a lot of heat. Definitely get it Swain Tech coated and/or wrapped.

All the angles are something I'm testing and were built to the exact measurements I was looking for and I wouldn't worry about the thickness off tubing it will work fine and has been used on thousands of turbo cars already.

Some pics of the manifold all Tig'd out :)

All the angles are something I'm testing and were built to the exact measurements I was looking for and I wouldn't worry about the thickness off tubing it will work fine and has been used on thousands of turbo cars already.

I'm not saying that it won't work, I'm saying that you're going to lose a lot of heat. Heat is 70% of spool.

I'm not saying that it won't work, I'm saying that you're going to lose a lot of heat. Heat is 70% of spool.

I'm aware of that and it will be fine :) I have been spooling large 70+mm turbos for years and making some of the highest HP per lb of boost out there this isn't my first rodeo

I had bad experience with heat wrap and a turbo blanket. F that noise. Heat is a killer, let that $hit breathe.

Few thousand miles rockin a turbo blanket = toasted seals & turbo rebuild...

Thanks guys can't wait to light this thing up looks even nicer with that big dry sump pump mounted let me tell you! :D

Some updated pics on this project

I had bad experience with heat wrap and a turbo blanket. F that noise. Heat is a killer, let that $hit breathe.

Few thousand miles rockin a turbo blanket = toasted seals & turbo rebuild...

Somethin else mist have happened here, a turbo blanket won't kill your turbo ir seals.... All oem turbos have heat shields and they do fine

Do you work at a fab shop? Or is this out of your own garage? Looks like things are mandrel bent which is nice. Welds on the flange look decent, can't really see the others. Also like your cross member I'm gonna start tubing up my dsm soon but i have a lack of bending equipment and only a chop saw LOL... at this point I'm pretty restricted to pre bent weld els. :(
Oh well cause sch10 is thick enough to not worry about.

How thick are the pipes? 16gauge? Long as your purging all should be fine.

Some of you guys aren't seeing that this is a slip fit manifold. This is thin walled most likely 16ga. It will work fine we made many full blown race cars with the the same tubing. This is by no means something you would daily since the constant heat and vibration will cause the tube it's self to crack. You bumped the collector as if this was a N/A slipfit header. You bump the mani tubes on a turbo manifold since the collector wil be heating up and expending not the other way around.

Some of you guys aren't seeing that this is a slip fit manifold. This is thin walled most likely 16ga. It will work fine we made many full blown race cars with the the same tubing. This is by no means something you would daily since the constant heat and vibration will cause the tube it's self to crack. You bumped the collector as if this was a N/A slipfit header. You bump the mani tubes on a turbo manifold since the collector wil be heating up and expending not the other way around.

Manifold shouldn't crack the turbo is being supported and not being suppport by the manifold at all. I bumped it the same as several twin turbo V8 Guys I know bumped theres with no problems :pray:

Somethin else mist have happened here, a turbo blanket won't kill your turbo ir seals.... All oem turbos have heat shields and they do fine

Do you work at a fab shop? Or is this out of your own garage? Looks like things are mandrel bent which is nice. Welds on the flange look decent, can't really see the others. Also like your cross member I'm gonna start tubing up my dsm soon but i have a lack of bending equipment and only a chop saw LOL... at this point I'm pretty restricted to pre bent weld els. :(
Oh well cause sch10 is thick enough to not worry about.

How thick are the pipes? 16gauge? Long as your purging all should be fine.

My garage is my shop and it was back purged:thumb:

304, 304L, or 321 stainless?

I really like the smooth long radius bends.

Only critique is if I was going with a wall thickness like that, I would have constructed with Inconol. Which is actually more suited for Autocross/Track applications, with longer duration heat cycles. But I have seen a few light weight manifolds trashed by aggressive 2-step launches.

Still great fab work, every one on the internet is an A-hole critique :)

304, 304L, or 321 stainless?

I really like the smooth long radius bends.

Only critique is if I was going with a wall thickness like that, I would have constructed with Inconol. Which is actually more suited for Autocross/Track applications, with longer duration heat cycles. But I have seen a few light weight manifolds trashed by aggressive 2-step launches.

Still great fab work, every one on the internet is an A-hole critique :)

Thanks its 304 S/S and thanks no sharp bend at all! Not sure about the 2 Step comment the guy who helped me weld it made the same manifold for his 2800hp TT Cuda and has never hurt it. Well it work only time well tell and this car will never be road raced etc just street driven and 1/4 :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back