The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Crankwalk/thrust bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SynthRocker

Probationary Member
Feb 28, 2005
Massachusetts
Got a 95 tsi awd with 125k measured end play it was .004/.005. Got the cradle off and the thrust bearing has some wear. I don’t know what would be normal or excessive on these… I know it shouldn’t be there but.. ya know… gotta go with what ya got haha. Pictures attached, how bad does that look for 125k

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

.005" is perfectly normal. There has to be some clearance there for lubrication.
Yeah.. I knew the measurement was within tolerance I was more concerned with what I thought was 4 gouges in the bearing… turns out they’re suppose to be there 😂😂 some form of oil channels I presume

Okay, I'll bite. With the understanding that following comment(s) are from a guy who has never before looked at an Eclipse bearing ...

Isn't this a pretty classic worn out bearing on the (visible) journal face? It appears to be the usual modern aluminized surface -- look up by the parting line -- but it's deeply scored and the aluminum surface is mostly gone elsewhere. For 125k I'd say someone saved a lot on motor oil and filters.

If the jounals aren't too bad might replace the set with standard size bearings or perhaps 0.001 undersize if those are available.

Experts please inform me on this!

Run ZZDP in your oil to help reduce wear on high thrust surfaces (crank/turbo thrust plate are about the only 2 in a 4 g motor). I HAVE to run it in the old school motors I build for the cam lobes but I've never heard of a person using it to combat crankwalk and turbo thrust plate wear but would be interesting. Its something I use on the reg for added protection.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back