The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 200k Eagle Talon Thrust Bearing replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDude236

Proven Member
Mar 15, 2021
Kingston Springs, Tennessee
Hello again! Of course, now that I’m in the process of repairing the car, my mind began to wander. My eagle talon has 200k miles on its motor, and I am 99% sure the previous owners never rebuilt the engine. So, that means its time for thrust bearing replacement right?
I wont even have anywhere close to the amount of money to buy a new motor (7-bolt or 6-bolt) for at least a year, and unless someone on these forums replaces the thrust bearings for cheap, I’m also gonna have to replace them myself.
The reason I’m posting this is to decide when to do it. I need to drive this car for at least the next month, then I have 3 months afterwards to replace the bearings before I need to drive it again. Or is it even worth it to replace them if they have gone this long? I don’t know what to do really, looking for some crankwalk experts on this one. Thanks guys!

I would suggest you do not assume there is a problem unless its part of a maintenance schedule or you have objective data to support a problem. You will drive yourself crazy thinking about what could be wrong instead of enjoying the car. Bearings can be killed at a few miles or go hundreds of thousands. I've seen above 250k on a stock 2g bottom end and still going. For those that are familiar this was not a split thrust bearing.

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Some of the best advice from ASE Master Techs. Stay on top of easy things like regular maintenance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back