The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Crack in my 16g turbo, do I need a new housing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo_Joe

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 13, 2008
Washington, Indiana
Its in the exhaust by the wastgate flapper..Im taking a 14b off of the car, will the exhaust housing from it work on my 16g? Mate the two together or what do I do? I hate being a newb! Also check out the broken bolt in the second pic that will NOT come out..thanks guys..:cry:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The cracks are normal for the vintage. and don't jb weld it unless you want to replace the turbo all together. ### a chunk of that shit would probably beat the turbine wheel all to hell and then you have real problems. but the broken bolt should be repaired. and if you don't know how to fix it, take it to someone who does. just a thought.

I've seen housings that were cracked much worse than that which still built and held boost just fine. I'd run it....it's already ported. ;)

The only drawback is that broken bolt....if you're going to remove it yourself that's one thing, but if you're paying a shop to do it, just buy yourself a new 7cm housing from eBay. They're around $90 shipped, and you'll have to modify your wastegate actuator arm a little as they're designed for the eBay knockoff turbos, but the fit and performance is just fine for the price.

I had the exact same problem and I helicoioed mine. If I could make a suggestion I would not even attempt to drill that thing out without a drill press. I was standing above that thing for 40 minutes trying to drill through it, went through a couple bits to. The only issue, it's extremely hard to drill a straight hole while standing there for 40 minutes. Reguardless the helicoil is holding up just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back