The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cost to repair rod bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstarM

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 24, 2010
Tampa, Florida
I was hoping someone could tell me what it might cost to get my rod bearings replaced has anyone had this done before? I was goingto try and do it myself but not so confident haha

Thanks for the replies

it depends on the damage done....

engine out, clean everything, metal flake is everywhere the oil went

you can do this if you research what you need to know

basicly, to do it "right" you will rebuild the engine.

how bad is the crank? the rod that spun the bearing?

do you want to go back stock? or do you want to upgrade?

what budget do you have to work with?

how much time can you have the car down?

Is this your DD and need it back running quick?

rod bearings alone cost about $5-10 a pair (the bearing is 2 halves, 4 bearings per engine)

If you want to be cheap and lazy, and dig yourself a hole you will have to fall into soon... just drop the oil pan, pull the rod lower caps, discard old bearings, install new, bolt her back up... drive 1-2 thousand miles before catostrophic engine failure.

OR

you will have to pull the engine, pull the head, remove the crankshaft, rods, bearings, pistons, while all that is out you might as well overhaul the entire engine. remomber to plastiguage check your clearances... you will have to have a machine shop re grind any damage that has occured, buy oversize bearings... make sure the crankshaft is true...

BAsically find a good running engine out of a parts car, or you are looking at an entire engine rebuild, which could be costly, especially if you a paying someone to do it for u. DSM DoityourSelfMannnnn

What makes you want to replace your bearings in the first place? and how do you know its even bearings?

Quick easy checkaroo for you...
Only works if you have noise comming from the connecting rod bearing...

Pull spark plug boots one at a time. (not plugs, just boots) make sure u have a spare plug (not one out of the car you are testing, an actual "5th" spare, or buy the cheapest one you can find and use it...

Pull boot on cylinder #1, insert spare plug into boot. ground spare plug to neg batt terminal, or hold it there if u wanna look like einstein (no really dont. Use alligator clips on that thang!) start the car. look stick ## head near that engine, and rev it a little. note if you hear tapping or not. if you hear tapping, its probably not that one. try #2, tapping noise means thats not it. try #3, lets say the noise is gone, that is the cylinder. try #4 noise back on, its def #3.

basically which ever one stops the noise when you pull the boot, thats it.

if more than two... just rebuild the engine, or do more trouble shooting because you may have a different problem than a spun bearing.

But answer this first... WHY DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO REPLACE BEARINGS?
i dont mean to be mean, i just didnt want you to not answer the question, it could easily get lost in this long post...

Well you are right, i'm not even 100% if it's the bearings or not, i'm just going off of a hunch, I went on youtube and listened to videos of a spun bearing for an eclipse gs, and it sounds just like mine, when they rev the engine a little, but then again if you are saying my engine shouldn't last anymore than 1-2k miles with a spun bearing, i've driven it for about 4k miles and the engine hasn't seized up yet, so other than the bearings does anyone know what this ticking might be every time my engines rpm's reach around 2.5k?

Last edited by a moderator:
take a video, preferably a sound recording, not with your cell phone coz the sound recorder wont pick the sound up accurately. post it up on youtube and link me to it.

Heres my old saturn lifter vs rod bearing noise

Lifter: (only listen to the idle sound and try to ignore the connecting rod bearing noise in the background, this islifter and rod bearing)
real lifter noise - YouTube

Rod bearing:
This is generally healthy lifters, with a spun rod bearing. Bearing was still in tact and just started wearing down.
Engine tick 2 - YouTube

In the lifter video you should be hearing collapsed lifters, as well as slight rod knock in the background. In the rod knock, you should hear only rod knock.

Lifters are more constant, rodknock is usually under a load.

Do you have a spare spark plug by any chance?

but then again if you are saying my engine shouldn't last anymore than 1-2k miles with a spun bearing, i've driven it for about 4k miles and the engine hasn't seized up yet, so other than the bearings does anyone know what this ticking might be every time my engines rpm's reach around 2.5k?

First, it will last longer, i was exaggerating. Idk how long though, and if a bearing is on its way out and it is spinning, that means the little peice of metal that was supposed to hold the bearing still is floating around in yout engine, ready to cause more damage, even if unrelated. eventually your bearing will spin so much, it will heat/warp/gouge/bend your crankshaft. keep going and eventually your engine will seize but not after dissentegrating your bearing. also your rod might come out of round also.

how long has the noise been going on for?

Some really cheap tools you should always have to help diagnose this stuff...

Spare spark plug ~$3-5
Compression test kit ~20-30
Engine oil pressure tester ~20-30
Mechanics stethescope ~5-10

Cheapest place to get this is harbor freight.

Bad oil pressure could point to bad main bearing/seal, bad oil pump
Bad comprssion could point to a bent valve hitting something
I already explained the spark plug test and its results
Stethescope will help you roughly possibly find the area the sound is comming from, (If you can get it on the crank pulley bolt, you will hear friction, but if the knocking is loudest from there it could confirm something close to or touching the crank is going bad...

get the tools, we shall go from there

Thanks for the reply gslenk, between those 2 videos it sounds like my car has more of a rod knock, but that was a very helpful reply, i'm going to record my car and post it up here and hopefully someone can diagnose my problem from that. I'll be post up a video today hopefully

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back