The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolant Hoses Through Frame Rail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurred Talon

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Paradise, NL_Canada
After seeing Tim Z's very positive results of his Electric Water Pump upgrade, I bought the same model to run on my car. I want to place it in the driver side wheel well/fender well area.
In searching for ideas on running the hoses I ran across this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's a plate to run the hoses through the frame rail (this is on a Honda Civic). Is something like this feasible? Will it weaken the chassis? It would certainly make the hoses quite a bit shorter then going around the rail and take up less space.

I can hardly believe that the 2 tiny 3/4-1" holes will do much to weaken the rail especially on our cars where it is quite a large section?

Yes, it will make the chassis in that area weaker if you just drill big holes. You could get around that by welding some tubes in the holes them run then mount your plate so it looks pretty.

Good idea, it should be easy to weld too as that part is likely thicker so less chance of burn through.
EDIT: I assume it would be best to TIG this if at all possible? I might have to borrow my neighbor's TIG then.

Good idea, it should be easy to weld too as that part is likely thicker so less chance of burn through.
EDIT: I assume it would be best to TIG this if at all possible? I might have to borrow my neighbor's TIG then.
MIG or TIG will do. As long as it is a good weld with good penetration.

Wheres the link to Tim Z's thread on this???

I myself wouldnt even worry about it.
If you get impact there in either case its destroyed.

Plus in that pic. whats more of a contribution to weakness, that plate riveted to the frame with 2 1" holes in it. Or that 4" hole beside it.

I can hardly believe that the 2 tiny 3/4-1" holes will do much to weaken the rail especially on our cars where it is quite a large section?

He asked only if it would weaken it and that answer is yes. If your going to go throught the trouble of doing this, putting some tubes in is not a big deal. The area is even strong and also make it easier to mount you bulk heads. Win win.
And no plate needed.

Kevin

Wheres the link to Tim Z's thread on this???

Check the last page of his thread about dyno'ing his BW set up. I asked him how his EWP was working out.
Here, I just dug it up: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/407235-dynoed-74mm-new-best-835awhp-46psi-3.html

I'm tempted to get the same C&R radiator as Tim too (Even with it's $650+ price tag) simply because it's bigger (wider) then the AFCO unit and it's built custom for the car.

I myself wouldnt even worry about it.
If you get impact there in either case its destroyed.

Plus in that pic. whats more of a contribution to weakness, that plate riveted to the frame with 2 1" holes in it. Or that 4" hole beside it.

Let's not think about car accidents ;)

That hole is factory, maybe....not sure it's a Civic and not a 2G.

Yes, it will make the chassis in that area weaker if you just drill big holes. You could get around that by welding some tubes in the holes them run then mount your plate so it looks pretty.

You would have to do the "tubes" or all the coolant running through the bulkhead will spill out into the frame rail... Unless I'm missing something here :confused:

Yes it will weeken the frame unless u reforce the frame.

After looking at it again that car has a notch above that bolt on plate. That notch is for a factory crush zone. And allows the impact to bend the rail in a uppward postion. I dindnt notice one one the botom. When messing those areas of the car u end u messing up the crash worthyness of the rail, and is best to work behind the crush zone.

You would have to do the "tubes" or all the coolant running through the bulkhead will spill out into the frame rail... Unless I'm missing something here :confused:

What I'm envisioning is AN fittings on either side. The holes and tube cut in the frame would be big enough for the fittings and assembled hoses to pass through (to make it easier to put together) then all you would do is bolt it in on the engine bay side. Coolant is not flowing through the tubes, it's just reenforcing.

Glad we're on the same page Kevin.

I hope to get out to the car in November and get some wrench time in (so hard with school, work and life in general). When I do I'll poke around on the driver side of the frame for possible locations for this plate.

Glad we're on the same page Kevin.

I hope to get out to the car in November and get some wrench time in (so hard with school, work and life in general). When I do I'll poke around on the driver side of the frame for possible locations for this plate.

What where your drill. There is a lot of internal boxing and multi layers hidden in there. Esp close to the fire wall. I have some pics somewhere that show some of this.

Kevin

I was looking through build on MM last night Kevin to see of you had pictures of that area but couldn't find anything.
Before I do any drilling I will make sure it's a good spot to do so.

I can get you some pics inside the frame rail also if you want tonight.

I was looking through build on MM last night Kevin to see of you had pictures of that area but couldn't find anything.
Before I do any drilling I will make sure it's a good spot to do so.

The pics are not of my car. I tend to hoard pics of cut up DSM's. I'll dig around today and get you what I have.

Kevin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back