The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

cold air intake

Please Support Rix Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g-90-newbie

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 30, 2009
madison, Virginia
i have a 90 1g n/t 4g63 engine i want to put a cold air intake on but dont know how to bypass the maf sensor. when i unhook the maf sensor it kills my engine. im new to dsm but very interested!

The Best Mods I've seen for our 1G's is do the Open Air Can Mod, and get nice Air Filter like K&N, then buy a Hard Intake Pipe.

TIP: If you wanna save yourself some money, Lowes +\or Home Depot sells Rubber\Poly Couplings much like the ones you get with IC Piping or intake kits, or like the ones you see in auto stores that cost 8$ each, but these cost cost 2-4$ Each, and hold up just as well if not better.

will the k&n filter fit over the sensor? what about a throttlebody spacer will that help?

I Don't think that would do anything, but K&N makes specific Filters for our cars, I had one on my old N\T Talon.

Another thing you can do if your looking for better intake is Custom Intake manifold and or Throttle body, or if you cant afford it at least port your Throttle Body.

I would agree with above and build your own CAI. You can get aluminum piping off some vendors on here (road race engineering) and build your own they way you see fit. There are 2 types of porting for the TB, there is just porting the inlet and outlet to gasket match or do a full bore port and utilize a larger butterfly plate. I don't think the gains on porting the TB would be too beneficial to you right now but I'm also not running a N/T DSM.

1g-90-newbie, you may get marked for your avatar which is supposed to be your vehicle. It's stated on the avatar picture rules. Just giving a heads up for you.

how do i port my throttle body ? sorry if i sound dumb im still learning any info helps!!

You Don't sound dumb, your just trying to learn (Something a lot of people on forums these days fail to see I think LOL no offense guys!)

Porting to simply put it, is just smoothing part of a engine's components such as a throttle body to make it less restrictive via machining. taking away anything that will restrict air flow like a Square edge, our a imperfection from the manufacture.

CRUCIAL: Porting cylinder heads you have to be very careful with because some of those restrictive looking points are there to help get the air and fuel to mix properly, and a common mistake when porting the intake side of cylinder heads is completely smoothing the ports out causing the fuel and air not to mix properly resulting in Power loss, and I always recommend having a professional port + Polish cylinder heads.

Here's an Example (Bottom is before Porting, Top is after. Notice how on the top throttle body the edge is much slimmer, and it kinda has a flared out look, that's what a ported throttle body looks like)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

thanks for the info everyone !im sure i will have many more questions as i keep tuning on my dsm. appreciate the heads up but i cant figure out how to change my avatar???

Well you put the picture on there I'm assuming. Goto My Account->Edit Avatar and then select either "Do not use an avatar" or "Use Custom Avatar" then select the picture of your vehicle. :thumb:

so im curious im kinda new to the dsm world and have a 92 laser anyone think its possible to remove the can for the air filter... put the metal pip on connect it to the air filter lip and just use those clips to hold the filter on instead on holding the lid onto the container....

I was kinda interested in looking in for a good air intake kits & systems for my own ride, but upon reading this one, i've learned a lot in these kinds of topics. Great thing to read this one. Keep it up!

Last edited:
so im curious im kinda new to the dsm world and have a 92 laser anyone think its possible to remove the can for the air filter... put the metal pip on connect it to the air filter lip and just use those clips to hold the filter on instead on holding the lid onto the container....

I know for a fact that you can completely remove the air can and use the 3 spring clips to hold the filter on, I've done it to every one of my 1gs. But by utilizing SOME of the can, it acts as a heat shield to keep down inlet temps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back