1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Clutch slipping

Posted by Matts_talon, May 24, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Matts_talon

Matts_talon Probationary Member

Joined Feb 24, 2019
    Hamilton, ON, Canada
    Well I’ve adjusted it out and adjusted it in and i still get the whining sound. Can you maybe describe the sound or do you have a video of it ?

Street Build 198  5

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Did you ever get the clutch to stop slipping from turning the rod in and or out? Honestly I feel your slipping problem is because your clutch is worn out. The whining is the throwout bearing & the noise isn't going to go away even if you can get the clutch to stop slipping. My prediction is you'll finally get everything all sorted out after you do a clutch job & replace this old clutch. Regardless only use an OEM from Mitsubishi throwout bearing even if the replacement clutch comes with an off brand aftermarket TOB. Do not use any TOB that has a metal inner sleeve/race. Only use one that has a composite (plastic like) inner sleeve which is OEM. Attached are the clutch pages from the FSM to help you out.

Attached Files:

3. Matts_talon

Joined Feb 24, 2019
    Hamilton, ON, Canada
    @Mello so i know you said the whining sound is the TOB but wouldn’t the “whining” sound be constant ? Mine is only when the clutch becomes fully engages is the still the TOB In your opinion ???

Street Build 198  5

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. Matts_talon

Joined Feb 24, 2019
    Hamilton, ON, Canada
    So i deppeed the trans out this weekend put a new TOB in and a competition clutch for as well as a new friction surfaces and surprising the flywheel wasn’t out of spec at all pp was as well in good shape i put the tranny back in but haven’t had time to do axles, starter, transfer case... and so on.I will let you guys know how everything goes and i appreciate everyone’s help so much.

Street Build 198  5

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Mello likes this.
  5. emcee

emcee Probationary Member

Joined May 31, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    A longshot, but I had a mysterious problem with my clutch after replacing the mater cylinder and clutch. What would happen is it would not fully engage especially after just a few gear changes. Turns out is had "clutch fluid pump up" which is when the clutch was not adjusted corrected and the system kept adding pressure. So after $1500 of repairs, tuned out all I had to do was adjust the pedal to master cylinder.

Street Build 1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. 401-transmissions

401-transmissions Probationary Member

Joined Nov 23, 2016
    Lincoln, Rhode Island
    The whining noise is Is most likely the input shaft bearing did you happen to check the shaft play before installing throw out bearing

7. Matts_talon

Joined Feb 24, 2019
    Hamilton, ON, Canada
    @Mello everything is in spec clutch isn’t slipping anymore i don’t think, but I’m still getting a whining sound the whining should only happens under load. I can take a video if ou would like it’s hard to describe.

Street Build 198  5

1997 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    When engine running, in neutral, does the winning go away when you step on the clutch pedal & come back when you let off of the clutch pedal? If so it's most likely the TOB, otherwise it's likely to be bearings on the tranny input shaft.

9. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    I understand. I wasn't saying that not having the flywheel resurfaced would cause the clutch not to work, I was just running through a basic clutch change checklist to see if this guy even knew what he was doing.

Road Race Build 2K  15

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

288  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

202  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles