The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Clutch engaging almost at the floor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-97 GS

Probationary Member
Dec 23, 2013
Putnam County, New_York
I've searched and have been unable to find an answer to the problem I'm having. So I noticed this morning after I shifted at 6.5k getting on the highway that my clutch now grabs almost right at the floor. This is very aggravating because I'm not used to the clutch doing this and it makes it harder to start in 1st and go in reverse without stalling. My car supposedly has 57k original miles and I'm pretty sure the original clutch assembly is still there. I just really need some info or a possible fix for this issue asap. As I said before this just started happening after the high RPM shift so I'm assuming that has something to do with it but I can't be too sure. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you adjusted your clutch master? If the clutch is original change it asap along with an oem throw out bearing, TOB clip, pivot ball and clutch fork. While the trans is off.

No, I'm not even sure how to adjust the master cylinder.

I also added a stainless line from master to slave. It helped by giving me a more "consistent" (not sure which word to use here) clutch release. But it did make a world of a difference. Considering my stock line was over 15 years old, the stainless was needed IMO :D

So yea guys I think I found the problem...my clutch master cylinder reservoir is empty. No idea why, but I took the cap off and there's just sludge on the sides of the reservoir and no fluid...

So yea guys I think I found the problem...my clutch master cylinder reservoir is empty. No idea why, but I took the cap off and there's just sludge on the sides of the reservoir and no fluid...

Your master or slave is probably leaking. If your master is leaking you can check by looking under the steering column towards the firewall. You'll see the fluid running down onto the carpet and where the master comes through to the pedal. The slave is pretty self-explanatory to check.

Have you adjusted your clutch master? If the clutch is original change it asap along with an oem throw out bearing, TOB clip, pivot ball and clutch fork. While the trans is off.

THIS LOL and add clutch fluid , but forsure use an OEM TOB if you do end up having to go this route. I just installed a stage 2 comp clutch and used there TOB and its terribly loud i will be dropping the trans soon to replace it. :ohdamn:

I had the same problem I went nuts changing masters and slaves stm clutch line all that good shit. turns out it was my clutch pedal assembly. make sure its not worn out cause it would cause the same issue

Yea, I added fluid and bled the system. All is well...for now. I don't think the system is leaking. There was probably little to no fluid in the master to begin with and then it finally gulped in enough air to take in the remainder of the fluid. Funny thing happened when I had to bleed the system though. The stupid hose slipped off the nipple when I bled the slave cylinder and fluid went all over my garage floor, tools I had under the car, and my phone that I was using as a flash light.

Yea, I added fluid and bled the system. All is well...for now. I don't think the system is leaking. There was probably little to no fluid in the master to begin with and then it finally gulped in enough air to take in the remainder of the fluid. Funny thing happened when I had to bleed the system though. The stupid hose slipped off the nipple when I bled the slave cylinder and fluid went all over my garage floor, tools I had under the car, and my phone that I was using as a flash light.

classic :ohdamn: same happen to me while i broke the trans drain plug bolt.. fluid everywhere :banghead:

I'm not quite sure on this part.

you think the air just gulped up the remainder of your brake fluid? did you check inside your car by the master cylinder rod to check for leakage? does your clutch drag also?:hmm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back